Source or alternative needed for SMT Epoxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headroom

For a new project I need to populate a PCB on both sides. It's actually only one component, a Vishay TSOP57238TT1 SMD IR sensor that needs to go onto the other side.
In order to do that I'd like to use the usual red thermally curing epoxy to glue it down before reflowing. None of the "normal" suppliers seem to carry it.

I am open to suggestions for sources or alternatives.

Thanks!
Yes, for a hand full of boards that would certainly be an option, however, for 50-100, with 10+ PCB's per panel that may also be populated automatically I prefer a less manual option.

I had the same issue. I added a 4 pin header and added the humidity, temp, and lumens sensor as a daughter board. (I2C). The daughter board is 1-sided, reflowed like any board but the trade off is the additional labor of soldering 4 pins.

Thanks for the suggestions! A daughter board is really not an option. I apologize for not providing more details. Below is an image of the PCB this is going to go on. The leg pointing down will receive the IR sensor. The sensor is 3.95x3.95 mm in footprint.
On the other side are three LEDs with 3.5x3.5mm footprint and 2 passives.

This is what these PCBs are used for.

IMG_1990.jpg

Nope. These small LEDs will pull up to 175 ma a piece and need heat sinking, which the PCB is doing through the little thermal vias in the solder pads for these LEDs in the PCB. The PCB is also so this with 1.6 mm it would also obstruct the light. Although OSH park now offers 0.8mm thick PCBs with 2oz copper, which is very nice for thermally sensitive applications.
It's actually not that easy to find LEDs in that current range that fit this application that are also available anywhere. Now if there is a IR sensor where the sensitive surface faces the bottom that would be an option, I've looked for that but have not been successful.
Here's a picture of the top side (1st revision).

IMG_1901.jpg

Last edited:
have you tried techni-tool? I seem to recall that you were looking for an epoxy.

http://www.techni-tool.com/Epoxy-Adhesive-Conductive-Epoxy

You may be looking for a cyanoacrylate, however. That's the stuff found in instant glue.

Another option is thread locker, aka loctite. I'd go for the red or the blue kind. They come in small tubes with small nozzles and may provide enough adhesion for your purposes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips!
I asked the same question on the CircuitMaker Forum (BTW I really like Circuit Maker much better than Eagle).

Feaadback was that I don;t need the epoxy as most lightweight components will be held in place, even when the board is flipped, by means of the surface tension of the solder. I'd trread that in several places, but was still concerend as the IR sensor in the currnt layout would only be attached to the board by the 4 small pads on the corners.

However, it has a large unconnected metal pad on the bottom, and with a little solder (and a new layout) that should hold very well when reflowing hte other parts on the board.

TSOP57238.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back