PlatformIO IDE: The next generation IDE for IoT development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's hard to definitively say but I've done PlatformIO builds and uploads using a Raspberry Pi. Not super fast, but has been reliable for me.

I have not played at all with platform IO.

But earlier I did play some with trying to run Arduino build headless... As if you look at the release notes for 1.8.0, one of the points was:
* Linux: running in command line mode doesn't require an X11 display anymore

So I tried it. With the Teensy I was able to run the compiler, but the load of the Teensy program to upload failed. I thought about editing the boards.txt or like to see about maybe using command line version of loader... But have not tried yet.

Can PlatformIO be a an alternative, like can I SSH into the Linux board and have PlatformIO compile and flash the connected Teensy with the sketches I developed on my main rig? Keeping in mind I do my main development in Arduino IDE and that I need customised libraries (shakes fist at Particle).

No need to open any SSH ports or etc. Just start PIO Remote Agent on RPi and program connected devices from anywhere in the world. See

- http://docs.platformio.org/page/plus/pio-remote.html

I have not played at all with platform IO.

But earlier I did play some with trying to run Arduino build headless... As if you look at the release notes for 1.8.0, one of the points was:
* Linux: running in command line mode doesn't require an X11 display anymore

So I tried it. With the Teensy I was able to run the compiler, but the load of the Teensy program to upload failed. I thought about editing the boards.txt or like to see about maybe using command line version of loader... But have not tried yet.
Arduino 1.8.3 on ARM Linux throws
Code:
Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS:
java.awt.HeadlessException:
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
        at java.awt.SplashScreen.getSplashScreen(SplashScreen.java:117)
        at processing.app.Base.<init>(Base.java:211)
        at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:140)
It should have been fixed with this merge, but alas.

No need to open any SSH ports or etc. Just start PIO Remote Agent on RPi and program connected devices from anywhere in the world. See

- http://docs.platformio.org/page/plus/pio-remote.html
That's only in the paying version? :p

Can you btw confirm that I can use code made in Arduino with custom libraries on Platformio?

Last edited:
Arduino 1.8.3 on ARM Linux throws
Code:
Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS:
java.awt.HeadlessException:
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
        at java.awt.SplashScreen.getSplashScreen(SplashScreen.java:117)
        at processing.app.Base.<init>(Base.java:211)
        at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:140)
It should have been fixed with this merge, but alas.

That's only in the paying version? :p

Can you btw confirm that I can use code made in Arduino with custom libraries on Platformio?
I have not tried too much with 1.8.3 as there is no teensyduino to install on it yet... I do have a version of 1.8.1 with 1.36 Teensyduino installed, where I was able to program a teensy, with a command that looks something like: arduino --verbose-build --upload --preserve-temp-files --port /dev/ttyACM0 ~/arduino-1.8.1/examples/01.Basics/Blink/Blink.ino

More details about this in the thread: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/4279...mand-lines-for-teensy-using-PuTTy-or-the-like

Has anyone tried building code with build_flags = -std=c++11? I am getting the following errors.

Code:
In file included from /Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/WProgram.h:37:0,
from /Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/Arduino.h:1,
from /Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/IPAddress.cpp:1:

/Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/WCharacter.h: In function 'boolean isAscii(int)':
/Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/WCharacter.h:64:22: error: 'isascii' was not declared in this scope
return ( isascii (c) == 0 ? false : true);
^
/Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/WCharacter.h: In function 'int toAscii(int)':
/Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/WCharacter.h:146:20: error: 'toascii' was not declared in this scope
return toascii (c);
^
In file included from /Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/WProgram.h:37:0,
from /Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/Arduino.h:1,
from /Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/Stream.cpp:23:
/Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/WCharacter.h: In function 'boolean isAscii(int)':
/Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/WCharacter.h:64:22: error: 'isascii' was not declared in this scope
return ( isascii (c) == 0 ? false : true);
^
/Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/WCharacter.h: In function 'int toAscii(int)':
/Users/joe/.platformio/packages/framework-arduinoteensy/cores/teensy3/WCharacter.h:146:20: error: 'toascii' was not declared in this scope
return toascii (c);
^
*** [.pioenvs/teensy36/FrameworkArduino/IPAddress.o] Error 1
*** [.pioenvs/teensy36/FrameworkArduino/Stream.o] Error 1

Getting breakpoints to work?

Has anyone successfully gotten breakpoints to work with PlatformIO & Teensy? I have a 3.x here, and put a breakpoint in my setup code, but the breakpoint is never hit. I like the VS Code integration (We're a .Net shop, so it's comfortable), but I was really hoping to get breakpoints and better debugging.

Anyone?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the pio command to generate a Makefile? I want to experiment with another compiler and don't have time to create a complex makefile by hand.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the pio command to generate a Makefile? I want to experiment with another compiler and don't have time to create a complex makefile by hand.

No, PlatformIO provides its own build system and doesn't use makefiles. Its configuration is remarkably simple, much simpler than make.

Hello,

i am using Platformio (Atom) now for a while.

I played around with cycle time and found out that the Arduino IDE (v1.8.5) with teensyduino (1.41) seems to compile in a different way.

When i compile with Arduino IDE / teensyduino it is much faster.

I did just a test with 144MHz overclocking of the teensy 3.2 and i compared the exact same "program", compiled with Arduino IDE and Platformio.

The result is:
PIO cycles per second 399516

Arduino cycles per second 495000

At Arduino i selected the 144 MHz overclock option
At PIO i add this line at platformio.ini: build_flags = -Wno-write-strings -DF_CPU=144000000L

So what is the reason for the much faster Arduino IDE compared to the compiled PIO hex file?

I want to keep the nice PlatformIO for programming.

Maybe i need to add some more compiler options? If so, how can i find out what and where i have to add it?

I hope someone can help me :)

Thanks,
Thomas

Hi,

I am using a Teensy 3.6 with PlatformIO (as well as TI MSP430, stellaris and ESP8266) and think it is a great platform. One thing however does not seem to work (I am using PlatformIO in a Linux Mint environment) and that is the serial-connection. When I use the Arduino-IDE serialout from the teensy shows up at the terminal, in PlatformIO I dont get that to work. Not a big issue.

regards
Cor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back