Teensyduino 1.28 Beta #1 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is going to sound a little crazy, but can you try renaming the file to just "teensyduino.exe"?

Until now, that's the name used for all prior versions. I changed to "TeensyduinoInstall.exe" for 1.28-beta1. Windows automatically runs it as admin if the name has the word "install" or "setup".

I tested here on Windows 10 64 bit. It installed perfectly fine, same as Defragster saw. I have no idea why it's not doing the same on your machine, but I really do want to know.

Just for fun - I renamed the saved TeensyduinoInstall128b1.exe I used before to TeensyduinoInstall.exe and I re-ran the install with no issues on my Win10. This is on the same machine where I now have the latest JAVA installed.

Paul: I suspect not as there is no 'native'/hardware/esp8266 dir - just the BoardsMgr copy in %appdata% - but ... Is there any way TeensyDuinoInstall can mark/expose the TIME lib as usable by ESP8266?
I can put it in my Libraries or in 'C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.1.0\libraries' and have it work, but the ESP8266 folks aren't including it. The tested TIMELIB fix the other day was using it with an esp8266 Server package I started using to get NTP time (on the ESP).
Conversely - can my ESP sketch tell the IDE to look here :: I:\Teensy168\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Time

Is there any way TeensyDuinoInstall can mark/expose the TIME lib as usable by ESP8266?

No, not really.

Even if I wanted to meddle with the software packages of other products, the Teensyduino installer doesn't have any knowledge of where the %appdata% folder where Arduino installs this other stuff. I suppose it's theoretically possible I could write code to discover such locations, but that would be a lot of work, just so I could install stuff for non-Teensy boards. It could also turn into a maintenance nightmare. Arduino has a long history of restructuring where the install stuff every year or two, with a trend to increasing complexity.

There's also the real danger I could mess up things for the ESP8266. Imagine how that would look, from a public relations standpoint?!

Of course, I already do publish and sort-of maintain the Time library on github. It uses the library manager scheme Arduino defines, which is supposed to make it available for all boards.

Last edited:
No, not really. ...

Good Answer - Thanks. If there was a supported way I can confirm it doesn't come by default (library.properties:: architectures=*), and my lame attempts adding a short hardware\libs were ignored or HUNG the IDE on startup. You can pull FULL github code into hardware\esp8266com\esp8266 - but a select library is bad news. Otherwise indeed the Boards Mgr code ties into %appdata% where PJRC would have no knowledge or ownership when they update or mangle it.

Back toward the topic - I can confirm updated TIME still works with ESP8266 under 1.6.8 - and that TeensyDuinoInstall doesn't break anything there.

Indeed - that is where I got that from - before I tried it last I saw the '*' and thought - maybe it will just work . . .

Update on my reported problem with the platform.txt file:

Turns out that I had not uninstalled an older version of Visual Micro before installing the latest v1603.1.0. Once I uninstalled all versions of Visual Micro, then installed v1603.1.0, build and upload worked without any mods.

Installed this on Linux (Xubuntu) 15.10 ("Wily Werewolf") without any real issue. I do notice that when uploading a program ("Blink" as a test), I need to hit the program mode button, rather than just "Upload". The message in console section of the IDE says
Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to automatically reboot.
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.

I have not had this issue on a Windows (Vista) install and this is admittedly the first time I've tried moving work on Teensy over to a Linux box. So I can't say whether this is new behavior, my machine's weirdness or what. But I pass it along nevertheless. If I get a chance to revert backwards a version I'll see if there's any difference.

Matt

I had one person email with a similar problem on 1.27, where the installer just couldn't write to pde.jar. Also Win 10. He found a log file that said the error was access denied. Never did figure out why.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this, but I just don't know how.

Attached is the log file of "Verbose" output from teensy, in the event it helps. The log starts with my hitting the "Upload" button, after which I get the warning mentioned. At line 128 is where I hit the button on the Teensy itself to get Blink uploaded.
Matt

Attachments

• Teensyduino128b1Linux32log.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 247
Is it intendend that the marked lines are double ? Is it doing something twice ?

Code:
`C:\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware "C:\Arduino\hardware" -tools "C:\Arduino\tools-builder" -tools "C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr" -built-in-libraries "C:\Arduino\libraries" -libraries "C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries" -fqbn=teensy:avr:teensy31:usb=rawhid,speed=96opt,keys=en-us -ide-version=10608 -build-path "f:\buildcd91ce49097a1ecee9513e7c828af939.tmp" -warnings=all -verbose "f:\arduino_modified_sketch_5036\Basic.pde"
C:\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware "C:\Arduino\hardware" -tools "C:\Arduino\tools-builder" -tools "C:\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr" -built-in-libraries "C:\Arduino\libraries" -libraries "C:\Users\Frank\Documents\Arduino\libraries" -fqbn=teensy:avr:teensy31:usb=rawhid,speed=96opt,keys=en-us -ide-version=10608 -build-path "f:\buildcd91ce49097a1ecee9513e7c828af939.tmp" -warnings=all -verbose "f:\arduino_modified_sketch_5036\Basic.pde"
Build-Optionen wurden verändert, alles wird neu kompiliert
[B]"C:\Arduino\hardware\teensy/../tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -E -CC -x c++ -w  -g -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -fsingle-precision-constant -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=128 -DARDUINO=10608 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3" "f:\buildcd91ce49097a1ecee9513e7c828af939.tmp\sketch\Basic.pde.cpp" -o "nul"[/B]
[B]"C:\Arduino\hardware\teensy/../tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -E -CC -x c++ -w  -g -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -fsingle-precision-constant -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=128 -DARDUINO=10608 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3" "f:\buildcd91ce49097a1ecee9513e7c828af939.tmp\sketch\Basic.pde.cpp" -o "nul"[/B]
"C:\Arduino\hardware\teensy/../tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -E -CC -x c++ -w  -g -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -fsingle-precision-constant -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=128 -DARDUINO=10608 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH "-IC:\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3" "f:\buildcd91ce49097a1ecee9513e7c828af939.tmp\sketch\Basic.pde.cpp" -o "f:\buildcd91ce49097a1ecee9513e7c828af939.tmp\preproc\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
"C:\Arduino\tools-builder\ctags\5.8-arduino10/ctags" -u --language-force=c++ -f - --c++-kinds=svpf --fields=KSTtzns --line-directives "f:\buildcd91ce49097a1ecee9513e7c828af939.tmp\preproc\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"

Successfully downloaded, installed and ran my big project on OS X (latest El Capitan)

Minor cosmetic issue in the layout of the DMG, the icon appears in to be positioned incorrectly:

Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 9.49.07 AM.png

Could you change the name of usb-type "Raw HID" to "Serial + Raw HID" ? It is both.

Edit: err... not :)
forget it :)

Last edited:
Paul - it seems SSD1306 is broken by IDE 1.6.8? There is an updated ADAFRUIT library it seems. There was something called "swap()" that went away and the Adafruit on Github now includes a custom:: #define SSD1306_swap()

Notes here. on the Tiny-Scope thread

My first post of error log and finding a couple posts above that: 27824-Tiny-Scope?p=99873

Last edited:
This swap() in post #41 came from the Adafruit_GFX library and they changed it. Did PJRC take a new GFX and not the new SSD1306 from Adafruit? I checked 1.6.7 and1.6.6 are the same versus 1.6.8::

Line #11 in the 1.6.6 and 1.6.7 tree::
Adafruit_GFX.h (libraries\adafruit_gfx):#define swap(a, b) { int16_t t = a; a = b; b = t; }

Line #53 in the 1.6.8 tree::
Adafruit_GFX.cpp (libraries\adafruit_gfx):#define _swap_int16_t(a, b) { int16_t t = a; a = b; b = t; }

<EDIT> : I just opened the 1.6.7 : I:\Teensy167\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Adafruit_GFX.h and the swap() was defined the same as in 1.6.6.

Last edited:
Hi Paul
The nightly Arduino eclipse plugin builds fine with version 1.28. Thanks for that.
However the upload fix seems to have been lost in the communication.
It is exactly the same thing but for tools.teensyloader.cmd.path.
Here is what I have after fixing.
## Teensy Loader
#tools.teensyloader.cmd.path={runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path}/..
tools.teensyloader.cmd.path={runtime.hardware.path}/../tools/
Best regards
Jantje

potential MIDI issue

Hi Paul,

Fresh install of Arduino 1.6.8 and Teensyduino 1.28 beta #1. El Capitan. Teensy 3.1

Install was normal and I can upload as MIDI with no errors but the Teensy is not being recognized as a MIDI device by any of my software after programming. I’m testing with the MIDI Buttons example.

If I upload from another Mac running Arduino 1.6.7 and Teendsyduino 1.27 everything is fine.

Thanks.

@Paul,
how much time is until 1.28 release ? I want to update FastCRC.
and..did you notice my pullrequests for SerialFlash ?

how much time is until 1.28 release ? I want to update FastCRC.

My goal is beta2 sometime this week, and wrap up 1.28 on Sunday or maybe early next week.

and..did you notice my pullrequests for SerialFlash ?

Yes, thanks. It's one of many which piled up while I was pouring all my dev time into releasing the prop shield. I should get to it tonight or tomorrow.

Paul
Have you seen my message?

Hi Paul
The nightly Arduino eclipse plugin builds fine with version 1.28. Thanks for that.
However the upload fix seems to have been lost in the communication.
It is exactly the same thing but for tools.teensyloader.cmd.path.
Here is what I have after fixing.

Best regards
Jantje

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back