Help selecting proper Bluetooth package to go with Teensy 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! New here so bear with me.

I'm working on a project idea that involves using a Teensy 3.2 board to send mp3 data(not playback) from buffer memory, probably a micro SD card over bluetooth to a smartphone. The maximum size of the mp3 file to be sent is about 300mb(160kbps) so I guess I need Bluetooth v3.0, not BLE. There seems to be a lot of bluetooth packages around but choosing one can get quite confusing!

- Has any of you had good experiences with a particular board that you might recommend?
- Will a serial bluetooth board like the BlueSMiRF work for this use? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12582
or this Teensy Bluetooth serial module? https://hackerspaceshop.com/collections/teensy/products/teensy-3-1-bluetooth-serial-module
- Also, for this kind of Bluetooth application, would you recommend developing on Android or iOS?
As far as I know I wouldn't need and Apple MFi to perform this kind of task.

This is the setup I'm thinking of. Still in very early stage of development :D
Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 2.23.29 p.m..jpg

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
You could start with an HM-11 module for prototyping. Very inexpensive and relatively easy to use. And what about wifi instead of blue tooth? Take a look at the ESP8266.

Thanks for your reply. However the HM-11 is Bluetooth v4.0 which is not very useful to transfer large amounts of data. It must be normal Bluetooth v3.0.

Im considering using the ESP8266 but still want to try Bluetooth before moving on to Wifi.

yes! that is exactly why I want to use the teensy. Its small and can encode/decode mp3. What I need to do is grab the mp3 recorded by the teensy and send it to a smartphone.

Thanks @jonr I have some time to develop this so I will try blueSMiRF first. If that doesn't work I will move on to wifi, probably with the ESP8266. Will post my findings!
Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back