I think induction is killing my teensy project

Status
Not open for further replies.

bLackburst

I discovered that the pedestal fan in my study kills my Teensy OSC project when turning the fan on or off. It's a Teensy 3.2 with Wiz820io, sending osc sensor data.
It works fine until I switch my fan then the 820 activity light stops and never comes back(teensy still on). I can power-cycle the teensy and it will work again (regardless of the fan on or off). The teensy is ~4' away from the fan, in a breadboard using insulated jumpers. I've tried powering the teensy with motherboard USB jack and discrete psu with the same effect.
My concern is that the project will end up in environments with lots of stage lighting etc and may be prone to these kinds of devices turning on or off and it needs to recover if such a failure occurs. Is this something that can be handled in software? The teensy will end up with an enclosure with the proper 820 adapter etc but I don't want any surprises. Can anyone share their insights on this please?
Thanks.

sparking in the fan's on/off switch?
Either radiated glitch (unlikely), or conducted through the power line and the power source for the Teensy.

Try running Teensy on one of those "USB batteries" and have no other connections to the teensy that might conduct a glitch

How all the wires are connected can matter greatly.

First, are there other things connected besides just the USB power and ethernet cable? Maybe sensors?

I'm going to work on the ethernet library again in a few weeks. If possible, I'd like to find a way to recreate this problem.

It still does it when powered by a battery pack.
How much of a difference would you expect when it's soldered up in a case? I wouldn't bother taking it to completion if it's going to be this sensitive with no way of recovering the packet stream(without a power-cycle).
Seems like I need to be about 5 feet(EDIT) away from such an appliance, perhaps I'd need a metal enclosure? Even still it would be great to know if there's code(or components) to make it try to re-establish itself if this happens. Should I just chalk it up to my breadboard jumpers being a giant antenna and hope for the best?

Last edited:
Yes I'm using a SHARP IR rangefinder, the long one, which has a capacitor over + and GND. Apart from that there's nothing else on the board, but as you can imagine there's quite a few jumpers for the wiz820.
The interesting thing is that sometimes it kills transmit ethernet lights sometimes but not others.
What is the sensitive/vulnerable component here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back