Teensy 3.2 custom hardware bricked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windfreak

I have a custom product designed around the teensy 3.2. I used a bad i2c library on it and somehow corrupted its ability to receive a program, both from the arduino IDE and from tyQt. It still runs the firmware I have in it just fine. Pushbutton etc dont work.
1) is there any way to resurrect it without a soldering iron?
2) if I replace the MKL02 will that likely fix it? Or will it be best to also replace the K20 at the same time?
This is a hand soldered first prototype so its possible I have a cold solder joint. I was playing with the said i2c library on an airplane when it failed.
Thanks,
David

So its not possible to corrupt a memory address in either chip that would cause such a failure?
Hopefully I didnt imply that a chip was destroyed..

This has also happened to me.
I never found the exact cause but this page helped.
I still encounter some weirdness on boards I've hand soldered. Production boards have a lot fewer issues.

Hi John-Mike. Thanks for the link. Ill check it out for debugging. Ive since gotten my first pilot run in from the CM and no issues. Im about 95% it was the bad i2c library. It also goobered up a Teensy from PJRC, (when I got home off the flight) but that one I messed up once and the reset button brought it back to life..

Can you send me this bad code? I'll try it on a board here.

As a quick sanity check, you can tell if the MKL02 chip is alive by watching the voltage on Program and Reset when you press the button. Normally both should be 3.3V. Reset can be 0.1 V if your MK20 chip is in a rebooting loop (usually the watchdog timer). Both should go to zero volts when you press the button. Especially if you see Reset go from something other than zero to zero volts, that's a sure sign the MKL02 chip alive and trying to do its job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back