TeensyTransfer

Just pulled your whole SerialFlash too - still no good.
Maybe my Prop/T_3.2 is a bit off? Or my computer?

I dowloaded the zipfile and overwrote my copy of teensytransfer.exe with the one from github.
Still works..

Perhaps restart your computer ?
Close tyqt and arduino ?

Can you pls. try: teensytransfer teensy -i
(this does not access the flash)
Do you have any warnings when compiling ?

I can send you the hex file for the teensy if nothing else helps...

Did a shutdown - did one last night too. Still not working. Closed TYQT and IDE and re-powered T_3.2 wit/Prop and no joy.

Something went odd yesterday on that hub port for some reason - restarted then and once already today.

TYQT is being fitful in showing Serial SPEW - like the calibrate NXP sketch - it pushes data - then pauses - then picks up (same results on older TYQT builds). Ran the GUI app with calibrate and it seemed okay. I noticed that during an IDE compile - the Serial would run normally fast!

The other odd thing is that my NXP YPR sketch that put out WHITE on start for the Fusion x,y,z no longer starts white - but always three separate R & G & B locations on the 30 LED APA102. But the FLASH wipe and test worked - and the YPR data looks right once running.

... I'm puzzled . . . :confused:

<edit>: Swapped another pinned T_3.2 onto my wit/Prop still: "teensytransfer: Communication error".

Last edited:
Hmm...Can you try the latest version please and delete the chip first ?
I had no corrupted files, but perhaps it helps to update. There were updates for SerialFlash, too.

Franks,

Thanks for replying.

I rebooted, erased and reloaded everything including SerialFlash.
I still see the same issue on the files copied back.
Interesting to note that the file sizes seem correct on the Teensy, it's only when copied back to the PC I see the file size change.
For fun I re-copied back the file I originally copied. The file size then stays the same.... weird.

Last edited:
Franks,

Thanks for replying.

I rebooted, erased and reloaded everything including SerialFlash.
I still see the same issue on the files copied back.
Interesting to note that the file sizes seem correct on the Teensy, it's only when copied back to the PC I see the file size change.
For fun I re-copied back the file I originally copied. The file size then stays the same.... weird.

I looked at your files.. there seems to be a translation on stdout..looks like a problem with my usage of stdout on your system.
Wozzy, do you use windows or linux ?

Tim, did you try on a "bare" teensy without other attached hardware: "teensytransfer teensy -i" ? What happens ? (disable SerialFlash in the sketch & TeensyTransfer.h" before)

Same Error on a bare T_3.1 as the two T_3.2's I had the PropS on. :( In the meantime I reinstalled TeensyDuino 1.28b1 to make sure I hadn't corrupted anything - no change on this or my TYQT issues with stop/start output that does not happen with IDE SerMon. Also I am using a new USB HUB - no change. Will go unpack an older TeensyTransfer and see it if works . . .

<edit>: You should put a VER# on the EXE and maybe return one from the Teensy too? {keep major in sync and update the .minor version}

Found a ZIP from 3/27 - sketch compiled to the T_3.1 with no/PropS - using NEW SerialFlash:

C:\tCode\libraries\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe eeprom -w foo
teensytransfer: Communication error

C:\tCode\libraries\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe eeprom foo

C:\tCode\libraries\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe eeprom -l
... { No Error, no output }

Using a NEW version of teensytransfer.exe with OLD SKETCH (new SerialFlash):
C:\tCode\libraries_not\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe -l

C:\tCode\libraries_not\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe -l eeprom
teensytransfer: Command not supported by device

C:\tCode\libraries_not\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe -i eeprom

C:\tCode\libraries_not\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe -i

>> Some of this output for EEPROM - suggests it talked to the Teensy?

Last edited:
@Tim: "-i teensy" gives an communcation error, too ?
In one case (your post), there was no communcation error. At least something seems to work .) But i *really* have no idea whats wrong... i guess you've double/triple-checked that it uses the latest version of the library ? Did you change anything on the sketch ?

@Wozzy, if you're using windows, can you try the attached file ? I have no idea if it works, but i've changed something on the filehandling of stdout.
@Wozzy Can you post the output of "teensytransfer -i teensy" please ? (does it work ? - maybe it helps to find Tims' problem..)

Attachments

• teensytransfer.zip
    13.2 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
@Tim: "-i teensy" gives an communcation error, too ?
In one case (your post), there was no communcation error. At least something seems to work .) But i *really* have no idea whats wrong... i guess you've double/triple-checked that it uses the latest version of the library ? Did you change anything on the sketch ?

Sketch/sources unchanged. The COMM error is when it defaults to FLASH - when EEPROM not specified? Ah - maybe EEPROM doesn't support the "-i" ( I thought it might show the size? )

I'm using the latest SerialFlash and teensytransfer I found - from Github or here?

I'm really doubting my Windows PC USB system at this point given the odd TYQT issue - I'll try on my Win7 machine in the next 12 hours with the latest from GitHub - or if you want to email me what you are using - sleep time here so you have 8 hours before my wife heads to work. I restarted last night when a port on my hub stopped seeing the Teensy - shutdown's and restarts later and a new HUB and multiple other Teensy's and still seeing the bad behavior.

One last piece - I removed the Teensy from my HUB and then I get this instead - so the system sees the rawhid device on my hub, but can't talk - bad Win10 driver?:
C:\tCode\libraries\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe -l

C:\tCode\libraries\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe -l
teensytransfer: no rawhid device found
>and with the Teensy in a different USB2 port - also not the HUB I get the comm error.

@Wozzy, do you use windows or linux ?
@Wozzy, if you're using windows, can you try the attached file ? I have no idea if it works, but i've changed something on the filehandling of stdout.
@Wozzy Can you post the output of "teensytransfer -i teensy" please ? (does it work ? - maybe it helps to find Tims' problem..)

Frank,

I'm using Windows 10.
I loaded the attached teensytransfer.exe program...

teensytransfer -i teensy
Code:
Model : Teensy 3.1/3.2 (MK20DX256)
Serial: 58289
MAC   : 04:E9:E5:00:E3:B1
EEPROM: 2048 Bytes
F_CPU : 120000000 Hz
F_PLL : 120000000 Hz
F_BUS : 60000000 Hz
F_MEM : 24000000 Hz

teensytransfer -i
Code:
ID    : EF 40 17
Serial: D1 65 38 25 47 46 4A 2D
Size  : 8388608 Bytes

teensytransfer -e

Works ... took about 3 minutes)

teensytransfer -w
Seemingly works fine

teensytransfer -r
Same problem, files are larger when they come back (Files from PC attached)

teensytransfer -d
Works fine

teensytransfer -l
Works fine
Code:
  116080 scream.wav
   26826 boards.txt
   54892 COPYboards.txt

Attachments

• Ttransferfiles.zip
    215.2 KB · Views: 523
i've added
Code:
setmode(fileno(stdout), O_BINARY)
for windows.
I hope it helps for Wozzy's problem..
(i can't reproduce it :-( )

BTW - the other day I put the file "teensytransfer.zip" into FLASH and when it came out I thought I checked it to work, I know the size was right - all evidence of that is gone now though and I can't reproduce yet. - Another hour and I can try.

If that does not work, i'll need help to make it work... (and to be able to reproduce the problem. the files look like windows is outputting to stdout in a 16bit mode on Wozzy's system)
The sourcecode of ttransfer is on github (and yes..it's very simple)..but for any pullrequests, please keep in mind that it must work for win, linux and mac :)

Last edited:
If that does not work, i'll need help to make it work... (and to be able to reproduce the problem. the files look like windows ist outputting to stdout in a 16bit mode on Wozzy's system)
The sourcecode of ttransfer is on github (and yes..it's very simple)..but for any pullrequests, please keep in mind that it must work for win, linux and mac :)

Frank,

I figured out what my problem was!
You're last post gave me the idea.
I was using the new Windows Powershell, and not the older Windows Command Prompt shell.
It's all working if I run teensyTransfer.exe from within the Command Prompt window.
File sizes are the same and the wav file is no longer corrupted when reading from the Teensy.
Sorry if I led you on a "goose chase"
Thanks again,
--Wozzy

Edit: Funny is that while I was editing this post... an IM from Frank came in suggesting this exact solution.

Last edited:
On my Win7 machine - with fresh from GitHub - IDE 1.6.8 w/TDuino 1.28b1:
04/03/2016 11:47 AM <DIR> SerialFlash
04/03/2016 11:49 AM <DIR> TeensyTransfer

Is that the current and proper sources to be using? Opened "I:\tCode\libraries\TeensyTransfer\examples\teensytransfertool\teensytransfertool.ino" and compiled without change. Just built and uploaded from IDE 1.6.7 with the same result.

<edit>: Returned these two programmed devices to my main Win10 system - that used to work - the "teensytransfer.exe -i teensy" works on both, but the other commands do not.

Here are results COMBINED for two devices - T_3.2 fails at first after initial UPLOAD then the T_3.1 works after 'no RAW_HID', then I re-UPLOAD to the T_3.2 and it works, except when talking to my Prop Shield Flash.

Code:
I:\tCode\libraries\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe -i

I:\tCode\libraries\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe -i teensy

I:\tCode\libraries\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe -i eeprom

teensytransfer: no rawhid device found

Serial: 46703
MAC   : 04:E9:E5:00:B6:6F
F_CPU : 96000000 Hz
F_PLL : 96000000 Hz
F_BUS : 48000000 Hz
I:\tCode\libraries\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe -l

Serial: 125347
MAC   : 04:E9:E5:01:E9:A3
F_CPU : 96000000 Hz
F_PLL : 96000000 Hz
F_BUS : 48000000 Hz
I:\tCode\libraries\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe -l

I:\tCode\libraries\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe -e

... back in an hour if there is feedback

Last edited:
Ok, "-i teensy" prints something, sometimes - that means your version is ok. the exe is ok, the sketch, and the libs are up to date.

So.. the problem is not related to a wrong version.
On the other hand, it works for Wozzy and me (on my two windows PCs..., and in a lubuntu vm)
Then, the old version worked for you, a couple of days before.

Did you change anything on your computer ? Installed any additional drivers etc ?
Can you try it without any hub ? (just a guess..)
Do you have a local firewall/virus scanner running ? (perhaps try to stop it?)
Then, please try to stop tyqt, and the teensy monitor before..(just a guess, too)..

Disconnect USB -Devices you don't need at the moment. Is the teensy sharing the same port with other devices ?

I don't have more ideas...but i suspect it's something with your PC.

Last edited:
Frank - on the second Win7 machine just tried - no TYQT running, Direct to back Desktop USB port, no other Teensy's active. This machine used for ESP-8266 most recently, no other private Teensy Libraries, just a fresh TDuino 1.28b1 install. I did not expect it to act the same - but it did - almost like my PropS board has gone 'unique/odd'. I didn't try to read/write EEPROM . . gotta run . . .

I'v tested it with 24..120MHZ optimized and un-optimized. Does it work if you use the hex-file ?
It should print some info about the flash chip

..but I don't want to spam this thread with this topic!

As to a more appropriate thread... I used the teeny program to load your hex file in extras and:
Code:
C:\Users\Kurt\Documents\Arduino\libraries\TeensyTransfer\extras>teensytransfer.exe -i
ID    : EF 40 17
Serial: D1 65 38 25 47 2E 0B 21
Size  : 8388608 Bytes

Ok, havd seen the answer here too late.

Thank you for the test !

Did you enable the line " SerialFlash.begin(FlashChipSelect);" in the Sketch ?

Back