TeensyTransfer

Thanks, should have googled that one harder. Got the rebuilt executable to run, but having the same problems. Just to clarify, this doesn't need any hardware to run correctly, other than the Teensy and prop shield, yes? Would extra wiring mess it up?

Also to clarify, by format do you just mean erase it? Or is there extra stuff to do before the flash will accept uploads?

Thanks, should have googled that one harder. Got the rebuilt executable to run, but having the same problems. Just to clarify, this doesn't need any hardware to run correctly, other than the Teensy and prop shield, yes? Would extra wiring mess it up?

Also to clarify, by format do you just mean erase it? Or is there extra stuff to do before the flash will accept uploads?

Extra wiring should not make a difference.

Note, I am not the author of of Teensy Transfer (FrankB is). Typically format means to recreate the file system in the flash.

I assume you have installed the UDEV rules on your system?

You might want to watch the system log message to see what kinds of log messages are going by. On older systems, you would create a new terminal window and do:
Code:
sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

On newer systems you might want to use:
Code:
journalctl -f

Alright, I'm getting a communication error only when I try writing things to the prop shield. I have erased the chip; -l and -i don't give me communication errors. And after I get a communication error I have to unplug it and plug it back in to fix the connection. Any ideas?

Sorry propshield+TeensyTransfer is still not working for you.

1) can you attach a photo of your setup (wiring and soldering)

2) Do the SerialFlash examples work? Examples > SerialFlash > ... first run EraseEverything, then RawHardWareTest (what does RawHardwareTest write on monitor?), then EraseEverything and ListFiles (you may need to run other examples to put files on SerialFlash, or create your own file creation sketch) Note: if you want to run RawHardwareTest again, you must run EraseEverything first. And run EraseEverything before starting to create files.

3) For TeensyTransfer you have to build and load Examples > TeeensyTransfer > teensytransfertool and in Tools you must change USB Type to Raw HID. What does teensytransfer -i report? teensytransfer -l ? teensytransfer yourfile ?

4) if you get errors, can you paste into your post the actual messages
propshield_headers.jpg

Last edited:
I see this thread is rather old but it still looks like >THE< thread for teensytransfer...

I have a Teensy3.2 and a prop shield. I have the teenstransfer hex file downloaded to the teensy, but the command prompt program just returns with no output.
I've tried: teensytransfer -i
and teensytransfer -l

I've tried it on two PC's (WIN7 and WIN10) and in both cases there is no return on the console.

And the weird thing is... the teensytransfer.exe program itself dissapears from my system after I run it. These are work (corporate) PC's so I guess an anti-virus might be the issue, even though I get no notification of malware etc.

Hasn't been much activity with TeensyTransfer recently - it was finicky with a number of steps to get right in the right order as I recall.

But AFAIK it was last working when the needed steps were found and followed.

On my mac, running Catalina, I get
Code:
raine001@John-Raines-19 ~ % /Users/raine001/Downloads/teensytransfer -i
zsh: bad CPU type in executable: /Users/raine001/Downloads/teensytransfer
raine001@John-Raines-19 ~ % file /Users/raine001/Downloads/teensytransfer
/Users/raine001/Downloads/teensytransfer: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [ppc_7400:Mach-O executable ppc_7400] [i386:Mach-O executable i386]
/Users/raine001/Downloads/teensytransfer (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O executable ppc_7400
/Users/raine001/Downloads/teensytransfer (for architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386

raine001@John-Raines-19 ~ %

I THINK the issue is that the Mac program is a 32 bit binary and Catalina supports only 64 bits. I haven't used it before and I certainly might be wrong.

Speaking of TeensyTransfer, I made some simple modifications to Teensy Transfer so that it would run on Teensy 4.0. There are some parts that are not enabled, because it used internal Teensy 3.x machine specific features that are not present in Teensy 4.0, but it does allow reading from a flash memory chip that was soldered onto a Teensy 4.0 audio shield. I cloned the library and example, so they would not overwrite the standard version. I've not done the github git clone submission form:

It looks to me like instructions for building all the versions of teensytransfer (on an ubuntu system) are in the makeall.sh file included in the zipped download--presumably adding one target (I think -arch x86_64) to line 28 might be all that's needed. It's a bit over my head.

Hi,

I'm a total newbie and I'm working on a project where I need files on the Prop Shield. Somehow I can't get to Raw HID connection. I only get this message "teensytransfer: no rawhid device found". I'm working with Teensy 3.2, Prop Shield, Arduino 1.9.13, Teensyduino 1.53. What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

I'm a total newbie and I'm working on a project where I need files on the Prop Shield. Somehow I can't get to Raw HID connection. I only get this message "teensytransfer: no rawhid device found". I'm working with Teensy 3.2, Prop Shield, Arduino 1.9.13, Teensyduino 1.53. What am I doing wrong?
You might mention what operating system you are using, there might be OS specific things you need to do. Teensydunio 1.53 now checks if Linux has the correct udev rules, but I don't know if there are Windows or MacOS specific things to do.

Thanks for the answer! I am using Windows and I'm still trying. I also found that when compiling tetransfertool.ino I miss some header files. I am a real amateur, but i promised my daughter to build this lightsabre, so i will install linux if necessery. Fun continues and I am grateful for any input.

Thanks for the answer! I am using Windows and I'm still trying. I also found that when compiling tetransfertool.ino I miss some header files. I am a real amateur, but i promised my daughter to build this lightsabre, so i will install linux if necessery. Fun continues and I am grateful for any input.

when building teensytransfertool, in the IDE Tools dropdown menu, you must first set USBType to Raw HID Then after build and load, windows should recognize the Raw HID device, and you can run teensytransfer.exe. Try teensytransfer -i
Code:
teensytransfer -i
ID    : EF 40 17
Serial: D1 65 38 25 47 44 08 23
Size  : 8388608 Bytes

You can also test out the SPI serial flash with Examples from the SerialFlash library
https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/SerialFlash

Thanks a lot manitou! I have set it to Raw HID. What do you mean with "building teensytransfertool, in the IDE Tools dropdown menu"?

I missed that you were still trying to compile the teensytransfer device. It can be rather tricky to build.

If Windows has separate window for the Teensy downloader that pops up after you've installed a sketch like blink, you might be able to load the pre-compiled image in the 'extras' directory:
  • extras/T32_teensytransfertool_with_SerFlash_CSPIN6.ino.hex

After the download window pops up, there should be a 'File' menu. From there do File -> Open Hex File. When prompted for a file, locate the above .hex file, and click on it. Then press the program button on the Teensy 3.2, and the download tool should load the hex file onto the Teensy. Assuming it installed, then exit both the Teensy IDE and the download window. After you have exited both programs, unplug/replug the Teensy. You should then be able to do a teensytransfer -i to identify that you have the prop shield installed.

<added>
If you are getting errors trying to compile the Teensy Transfer tool, please post the full error message. That way we have a better way of telling you how to fix it.

Last edited:
Hi

I'm using this nice tool to upload files to my serial flash.
Unfortunately it only works for my T3.2.
I'm switching over to Teensy 4.0 now and would like to be able to use TeensyTransfer here also.
Is someone doing any work to add T4?

I have been using the CopyFromSerial.ino and it works but is a bit unreliable.

/Tomas

Hi Kets,
I don't have any plans to update the tool. MTP is in development, and when it is ready to use, the tool is not needed anymore.

But all the sourcecode is on GitHub, so you can do it. If you do the needed changes, I'll update it.

Hi Frank

What is MTP ? Can I use that instead to upload files to my flash memory?

Yes.
The Teensy will be accessible as a drive. On Windows, you'll see it in the explorer and you can copy and read files from it.
It's under development - there is a thread here in this forum.

TeensyTransfer was never meant to live that long... I wrote it under the impression that is for a few weeks only.. So I didn't care much..

To be honest, I'm intentionally not porting it to the T4 to push the development of better solutions a bit.... ;) But don't tell anyone.
But, again, if you really need it, and before MTP is ready, just add the lines for T4.. and if you think its needed and useful, i'll add your changes.

Yes.
The Teensy will be accessible as a drive. On Windows, you'll see it in the explorer and you can copy and read files from it.
It's under development - there is a thread here in this forum.

TeensyTransfer was never meant to live that long... I wrote it under the impression that is for a few weeks only.. So I didn't care much..

To be honest, I'm intentionally not porting it to the T4 to push the development of better solutions a bit.... ;) But don't tell anyone.
But, again, if you really need it, and before MTP is ready, just add the lines for T4.. and if you think its needed and useful, i'll add your changes.

It appears Teensy Transfer is no longer available on your Github, is this correct? I recently obtained a Teensy LC and Prop and need to transfer audio files to memory. I located a thread discussing MTP and even days ago still appears to be non-functional for my needs. Is there some place I can still obtain Teensy Transfer as it seems there simply isn't anything to replace it?

It appears Teensy Transfer is no longer available on your Github, is this correct? I recently obtained a Teensy LC and Prop and need to transfer audio files to memory. I located a thread discussing MTP and even days ago still appears to be non-functional for my needs. Is there some place I can still obtain Teensy Transfer as it seems there simply isn't anything to replace it?

I also need the TeensyTransfer for uploading audio files to my flash memory . I have tested MTP but that file format does'nt work in the audio lib.
I use the the modified version for T4 that MichaelMeissner made. It works for me but it would be nice if someone made it permanent.

I include the zip-file for the TeensyTransfer. Hope it will help you.

Attachments

• TeensyTransfer-master.zip
    287.4 KB · Views: 64
Back