Teensy 3.xx and h/w (DIN) MIDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForestCat

Hi,

My understanding is that the 3.xx series is fundamentally a 3v system w/ 5v 'tolerance' on the digital pins. I'm currently using a Mega 2560 for it's 4 UARTS, but it's running out of steam for my app.

Given the variety of MIDI h/w deviations out there, can the the Teensy 3.2 safely be used to connect to the outside MIDI world through an optocoupler on the inputs and a 220v resistor, etc., on the outputs? I guess what I need to know is whether the Tx/Rx lines are '5v tolerant'.

Thanks much.

Use this scematic modified as per the text for 3.3v teensy 3.x . Works for me ... note that because you are using an opto coupler, you don't need to stress about the rx input pin ... power the optocoupler with 3.3v!

Last edited:
Thank you, Adrian. As many times as I've referred to that schematic when using my Teensy 2.0's, I never caught the text about the 3.xx resistors. Cripes, I'm getting old...

attachment.php
Cool ... thanks .... I use perf board... note the lack of decoupling caps OMG!

For lot of people familiar with Arduino boards, think of Teensy 2.0 as good Uno, Teensy++ 2.0 as a better Mega2560 and Teensy 3.0 as a Due done right .It predates the Due

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back