Multiple Teensy And IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arctic_Eddie

I'm trying to do something that's probably not allowed or thought of by the developers. However, it worked when using Megas and Nanos. It sort of works with multiple Teensies but I have a very annoying situation.

Background:
This project is a radio controlled barge, twin pontoon four feet long, carrying a phased array sonar. It's function is to gather echo data and send it to a shore station for colorized 4D display. The end purpose is to find the bodies of drowning victims or crime evidence in residential lakes for local law enforcement.

Version 1:
This version used four Nanos to collect the echo data, transfer it to a Mega by I2C, radio to a shore station, another Mega, by nRF24, and finally send to a laptop by serial for analysis and display. That version works but the refresh rate is about 1Hz. There are too many transfers and storage. I need something faster.

Version 2:
Use two Teensies for echo data collection using the dual synced ADC library. Use one Teensy for sonar burst generation and battery voltage monitoring. Put an nRF24 radio on each of these three barge Teensies so they can talk directly with the shore station. This eliminates two Arduinos and the I2C link. The shore station is another Teensy talking to the laptop via high speed serial.

Problem:
With version 1, I was able to open multiple instances of the Arduino 1.65-rc5 IDE, connect a USB cable to each Arduino, load the sketch into the appropriate window, open a serial monitor window for each, upload to the correct board, and watch the data. When changing the IDE window, the upload went to the correct board.

With the the Teensies, this is not the case. I can do everything as before but the upload part is not working the same. After uploading a sketch to the right board through it's USB cable, the next selected IDE and comport cable would send the upload to the previous board. The Teensy uploader window was stuck on the previous board. The only way to force it to the right one was to unplug the USB cable from all other boards and leave only the real target connected.

Question:
Is there a way of forcing the loader to use a particular comport amongst all that are connected? Is this a bug in the way that the Teensy loader behaves or am I just trying to do something that the developers never considered?

Maybe N/A, but...
Visual Micro (Free) a plugin for Free Visual Studio (Windows), supports multiple serial monitors for multiple boards, and downloading to the serial port for that serial monitor/board. Auto-reconnection of the serial monitor.

I'd think you could use VM/VS to have one "solution" in the IDE and multiple "projects", where each project was one that differs from all others and together, the projects target the boards.

VM/VS uses the Arduino/Teensyduino build concepts and boards files.

It is free despite appearances for the Pro version.
http://www.visualmicro.com/

Thank you FrankB. That's about what I need. If the present loader just had a port selector, or run multiple instances, it would solve my problem. The multiple monitor windows work fine as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back