Are "newbies"unwelcome here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beavis

I have already posted in Project Guidance and Technical Support & Questions but have not gotten a reply on either. Granted, the Project Guidance question might be stupid and boring for advanced people, but my question to Technical Support & Questions was taken right from Teensy documentation pages. I can see how beginner questions could be irritating to more experienced members, but wasn't everyone inexperienced at one point?

My question is about the Mouse.moveTo() command, and getting it to work on Linux. I found it on this page:

https://pjrc.com/teensy/td_mouse.html

which says that the solution is to use this Ugly Hack which links to this page:

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/2866...h-Mouse-moveTo()?p=73391&viewfull=1#post73391

where I found the Ugly Hack code listed in the entry by PaulStoffregen on 05-20-2015, 05:19 PM. My problem is that I have no idea what to do next. Where and how do I insert this code? I have spent many, many hours over the past couple months looking and learning, but am still drowning in a sea of confusion. So if anyone could lend some help I would so greatly appreciate it. Even if just to say, "This is not the place for beginners, get lost!" that would be better than nothing at all, and actually would be useful information!

The more likely answer is that none of the folk that saw your post had ever worked on this issue in their code, hence had no good answers for you. Another possibility is that the forum had some hot topics that then lead to your question dropping between the cracks. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue re: your issue either, but I thought I'd send you a response so your incorrect inference re: newbies could be corrected.

The volunteers here do answer a lot of questions and all of us started as 'newbies' or ask 'newbie' questions from time to time when it comes to this forum. But we also accept that getting an answer out of a forum is not a guaranteed thing - volunteers are unpaid, may not see our post, may not have time to answer, may not feel like answering, etc. You will never know why a question goes unanswered but I would never infer it's because of animosity here.

Last edited:
Oh, I missed this one... while trying to catch up to several days of messages while I've been concentrating on the usb audio stuff.

My problem is that I have no idea what to do next. Where and how do I insert this code?

Inside your arduino-1.6.8 folder, find the file usb_desc.c inside hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy3. Arduino doesn't edit these files, so you'll have to use a normal text editor. Open the file and locate "static uint8_t mouse_report_desc[]". Replace it with the ugly hack code. Save the file, and then upload to your Teensy. Arduino will compile and use the edited code.

If things go badly, you can always just run the Teensyduino installer again to overwrite the file to the original version. Or if things go *really* wrong, you can just delete Arduino and get a fresh copy and install Teensyduino to it. Remember, this was described as "ugly hack"....

Thanks for the reply. Now that I've gotten replies, I feel a bit embarrassed about the tone my post. Looking back, I'd say it was part frustration, part attention getting, and partly my own character defects. Again, thanks for your personal time and effort.

I think it's perfectly reasonable if you're truly stumped with something to politely bump your post.
Having nicely formatted questions with reproducible code certainly helps

I do actively keep an eye out for those 0 response threads but am often unable to help due to the contents of the questions

Thanks for your reply, and like, WOW! in only seven minutes!! Anyway, what do you mean by "...politely bump your post.", and how is it done? I have actually just completed my project (in only a little over 4 months -arrrgh), so I'm not stressing out for an answer, I'm just curious. Thanks to everyone in the team for the help and for the great product.

You'll recognize 'impolite' when you see it? It is pretty rare ... thankfully. Also starting a new thread seems to be bad form.

I'd say if you can re-read your original post - add other information or clarity as needed and perhaps restate your problem, update with any other things you've tried or discovered - like it was your fault nobody understood enough to help . . . also sometimes there are no posts on the forum and other times there are swarms or the right people to answer are just otherwise engaged.

When I open the forum I just hit the "What's New" and read down - on swamped days I'll miss stuff - just yesterday I saw a reply to one of my posts that I missed for some 10 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back