Serial Issue with Teensy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a quick sanity check just now, on a Macbook Air with the latest 10.12.6 Sierra.

Seems to be working fine. Here's a screenshot.

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 9.48.10 AM.jpg

Yup, just did 5 more uploads (the mac air was still on my desk... it had counted up to about 3500). All 5 worked fine, all 5 started printing in the serial monitor. Admittedly I only watched it count to about 6 before starting the next one. Right now it's counted up to about 75, while writing this message. Everything looks fine here.

Ok thanks! Must some deeper-seated problem with my computer. Weird that it only happens with Teensy though. I've also attached a sanity check screenshot on my end. (I get that "error occurred while uploading the sketch" whenever it's not showing serial data properly - this is a new behaviour after updating to 1.8.4 from 1.8.0 . Sketch uploads when I press program button).

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 11.17.58 AM (2).jpg

I have the same Problem on my IMAC 27" with teensy 3.5

Different optimize settings doesn't have an effect.
If I change USB Type to Raw HID everything works fine.

Teensy 3.5
Teensy Loader 1.4
Arduino 1.8.5
Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)

Error Message: Error while setting serial port parameters: 250,000 N 8 1

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-05 um 19.28.27.jpg

Last edited:
Same error different system: 1.8.1 / 1.36

Teensy 3.5
Teensy Loader 1.36
Arduino 1.8.1
Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-05 um 20.38.55.jpg

Last edited:
Same error different system: 1.8.3 / 1.37

Teensy 3.5
Teensy Loader 1.37
Arduino 1.8.3
Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-05 um 20.36.11.jpg

Last edited:
Same error different system: 1.8.4 / 1.38

Teensy 3.5
Teensy Loader 1.38
Arduino 1.8.3
Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-05 um 20.41.03.jpg

Same error different system: 1.8.5 / 1.40 different OSX

Teensy 3.5
Teensy Loader 1.40
Arduino 1.8.5
High Sierra 10.13.1 (17B48)

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-05 um 21.24.01.jpg

USB Isolator doesn't fix the Problem.
Remove Teensy and plug it in again sometime solves the problem temporary (until the next reset, upload, remove.)

Hopefully this information help with troubleshooting.

+-o USB Serial@14310000 <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x10000089b, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 20>
{
"sessionID" = 328037438085
"iManufacturer" = 1
"bNumConfigurations" = 1
"idProduct" = 1155
"bcdDevice" = 512
"Bus Power Available" = 250
"USB Address" = 23
"bMaxPacketSize0" = 64
"iProduct" = 2
"iSerialNumber" = 3
"bDeviceClass" = 2
"Built-In" = No
"locationID" = 338755584
"bDeviceSubClass" = 0
"bcdUSB" = 257
"USB Product Name" = "USB Serial"
"PortNum" = 1
"non-removable" = "no"
"IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"9dc7b780-9ec0-11d4-a54f-000a27052861"="IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBLib.bundle"}
"bDeviceProtocol" = 0
"IOUserClientClass" = "IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2"
"IOPowerManagement" = {"DevicePowerState"=0,"CurrentPowerState"=3,"CapabilityFlags"=65536,"MaxPowerState"=4,"DriverPowerState"=3}
"kUSBCurrentConfiguration" = 1
"Device Speed" = 1
"USB Vendor Name" = "Teensyduino"
"idVendor" = 5824
"IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
"USB Serial Number" = "2397460"
"IOClassNameOverride" = "IOUSBDevice"
}

Last edited:
Works fine on my older Mac Book, running 10.12.5.
Arduino 1.8.4 Teensyduino 1.40...

Will try updating Mac to current stuff and see if that makes any differences.

From the screenshots, this problem looks similar to what happens on Linux when another program also opens and tries to read from the same serial device. The 2 programs create a race condition, where the kernel sporadically delivers some of the incoming data to one program, the rest to the other program.

Any chance this is happening on your machine? Maybe another program is trying to read the data?

Look in System Preference > Network to see if Sierra is trying to use the serial device as a modem? Here's what I see. Each Teensy this Mac has seen gets detected as a USB Serial ## modem, and they're all "Not Configured" even when the Teensy is connected and sending to the Arduino Serial Monitor.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 1.51.46 PM.png

Still works on my 10.12.6...

PeterG on several of your screen shots it shows something like an error happened while uploading the sketch. What was the error?

anything special here. Like is the teensy plugged directly into the MAC or through an external USB hub? USB2 or USB3 hub? Powered?

Anything else running?

Have you tried a different USB cable. I fought connection problems for a while until I switched cables and everything went back to normal.

@Paul & Kurt Thank you for trying to reproduce the error.

Paul i have deleted /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist wich was 5.6mb in size :eek:...
I have found hundreds of "Teensy" modems, I own many Teensys but not that many.
Error is still the same.

There is no other Programm trying to read the data.
Sierra does not trying to connect to the "USB Modem".

@ Kurt

the Error is: Error while setting serial port parameters: 250,000 N 8 1
I have tried:
Teensy plugged directly to IMAC`s USB 3.
Teensy plugged to USB 3 HUB unpowered.
Teensy plugged to USB 2 HUB unpowered.
Teensy plugged to USB 2 Isolator unpowered.

Nothing else running. I have restarted the machine many Times.
Restart with unplugged Teensy, with plugged Teensy, changing USB port, changing USB Cable

@ohhorob Yes I have tried different USB Cables. from 15cm --> 100cm

I also have tried different Teensy Boards.

Edit:

Changing the system language does not fix the error.

Last edited:
Sorry, I just don't know what else I can do about this. I can't reproduce it here, and I've pretty much run out of guesses. :(

Ok Thank you Paul!

no Problem with Terminal Screen command.

screen /dev/cu.usbmodem2397461

still Arduino Serial Monitor does not work.
This is for sure not a Problem with my system, cable, teensy whatever..

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 21.38.12.jpg

IIRC - Java used is included with IDE/TD install?

Koromix offers a MAC build of his SerMon - might be helpful if it worked: forum.pjrc.com ... Teensy-Qt
Using the Windows the latest Updated build here

If using Teensy for upload the Serial has to be manually disabled. If 'Tools / Integrate to Arduino' is done it seamlessly replaces Teensy Loader as well - at least in my Windows use where SerMon was not always reliable before recent builds on Windows 10.

Last edited:
IIRC - Java used is included with IDE/TD install?

Koromix offers a MAC build of his SerMon - might be helpful if it worked: forum.pjrc.com ... Teensy-Qt
Using the Windows the latest Updated build here

If using Teensy for upload the Serial has to be manually disabled. If 'Tools / Integrate to Arduino' is done it seamlessly replaces Teensy Loader as well - at least in my Windows use where SerMon was not always reliable before recent builds on Windows 10.

Looks like you made my day!!!! need more testing.. but im back in a few minutes

no Problem with Terminal Screen command.
still Arduino Serial Monitor does not work.

Oh, wow, really looks like something within the Arduino IDE. Wouldn't have guessed that!

Can you try one more test?

Teensyduino makes changes to Arduino's serial monitor. Maybe they're related? If you look at the title bar of the serial monitor window, it says "TeensyMonitor". That means you're running Teensy's modified serial monitor.

If you close the serial monitor window, then select a non-Teensy board in Tools > Boards, and open the serial monitor again, you should get the original serial monitor without Teensyduino's patches. You'll know it's Arduino's original version when the title bar shows only "/dev/cu.usbmodem2397461 (Teensy)" without the word "TeensyMonitor".

If that makes a difference, then I'll start trying to figure out what I might have done that's messing up the serial monitor. If both fail, then at least we'll know it's something deeper in the Arduino IDE or Java or JSSC. Either way, I really do want to get to the bottom of this, if you're willing to keep doing tests and help narrow down where the problem really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back