Teensy 3.2 with 12864 Full Graphic Smart Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncabar

Has anyone been able to get a RepRap style Full Graphics Smart Controller working on a Teensy? I am currently using this with good success on an ATMega 2560 but i just need more power and more memory so I bought a Teensy. Love it... just need to figure out the pins. The issue i have is that the ATMega 2560 is using pins 34, 36, 40, 42, 50, 51, 52 and 53... and those don't exist on the Teensy. Am i just out of luck? Any thoughts? Oh.. using u8lib for graphics... maybe there is a diff pin combo on the lower digital pins someone can recommend?

Barry

Can you elaborate on this RepRap style Full Graphics Smart Controller?

What's the actual hardware?

Sure Xenoamor, it is a OSOYOO LCD 12864 Graphic Smart Display Controller. Here is a link on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/OSOYOO-Graphi...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01

This is an Osoyoo design based on the open source spec here:
http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Full_Graphic_Smart_Controller

If i can't get this to work.. i'm looking for a good replacement display (between 2.8 and 3.4 inch) for my project. I am probably leaning toward a TFT Touch panel (color good but not required) so that I won't have to deal with the rotary encoder. I DO need an SD card reader.. if it doesn't have one i can use a standalone version i am sure.

Very happy to get your thoughts!

It would help to know the chipset but something like this?

Hard to say, they dont specify what chipset is used on the display.

Last edited:
This 2.8" TOUCH enabled screen can be had on Ebay and other places - but is also sold by PJRC: display_ili9341_touch

It is a FAST TFT color and well supported in software on the T_3.2 with resolution of 320x240. It has an SD card that can be edited to work - notes on connection on the PJRC linked site above.

Last edited:
I think he has a screen already defragster, I believe he is looking for a library to drive it.

Indeed he does - I was offering input on PLAN_B that meets the spec [ 2.8", Color TFT, Touch with No Encoder, SD Card ] - for a probably better/faster supported 'native' device with higher screen resolution::

If i can't get this to work.. i'm looking for a good replacement display (between 2.8 and 3.4 inch) for my project. I am probably leaning toward a TFT Touch panel (color good but not required) so that I won't have to deal with the rotary encoder. I DO need an SD card reader.. if it doesn't have one i can use a standalone version i am sure.

Very happy to get your thoughts!

Yes, i do have the screen linked above with that includes rotary encoder and SD that I've been using (and works quite well) with mega2560. So Plan A is to get that to work with Teensy 3.2... i haven't quite figured it out yet - i think it's going to be some trial and error on my part. I'm still learning on the hardware end. But, my plan B was to perhaps replace that with a TFT touch screen and SD. I did see the one on this site that Donziboy2 linked to.. but I appeared to only work (library or the display - not sure which) with Teensy 2.0 (unless i misunderstood). I didn't want to assume it would work with Teensy 3.2... but maybe it will? I could just buy it and give it a try i guess.

RE - Plan_B:: If you mean the one I linked in post #5 - that is specifically T_3 and LC capable - more so on the T_3. It has super fast SPI code optimized for great performance (T_LC can't do faster SPI) and anything that doesn't work will likely be fixed - and it has a super variety of FONTS in various sizes!

I've worked with the ILI9341 and found it nice and usable - I added touch interrupt to stop polling and support more timely touch response and also worked out a way to make a structure to define 'buttons' and respond to them - I made a thread about that I haven't followed up on in a while.

Oh my mistake! I thought that was the same display that i had found earlier... I will definitely buy this one... not sure how i missed it on the site. It is smaller than i wanted but maybe i can find a larger one somewhere. Thanks much! If this works out.. i'd be very interested in your mods for the touch interrupt. This display will be going on a loom and will be taking readings while at the same time being "touched" to make adjustments or select menu items so i think i'd like that too if you'd be willing to share. Thanks again for the help guys!

Indeed 2.8 is much nicer than .96, or 1.44 or 2.2 - but still small.

opps - it looks like I linked the non touch above:: display_ili9341_touch.html

My edit to avoid SPI polling was incorporated in the PJRC XPT2046_Touchscreen library. Just specify the interrupt pin ( the "purple test board" has it coming out on pin 2 ) on the begin and all the calls made for a touch point return with no other overhead when no Touch interrupt preceded it. My other code is out there on github: XPT2046_Touch_Examples - and has the forum thread link there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back