Midi In Connection on the Teensy 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

intergalatico

Hello Folks,

I am not getting to work my midi in connection. I am doing like here:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_MIDI.html

I am aware that the previous version of teensy are powered with 5V and the 3.2 version with 3.3V. Do I have to change some value of the resistors or something?

And about the PC900, the pin outs are not like this?:

1 6
2 5
3 4

Where the pin 3 have no function and the 4 is the ground. At least this data sheet say so: http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/Sharp/mXrzuur.pdf

I am trying to achieve the Midi Thru function, where the midi message received on the midi in will go direct to midi out. I am using the MIDI library and I call the MIDI.read(); function. My code have midi out as well and is working fine. Just the midi in (midi thru) is not working.

I appreciate any help!

Thank you!

The resistors for the MIDI in circuit should be the same for 5V and 3.3V. The soft thru should be active by default so if you get MIDI in working you should be good to go. I've used the PC900 exactly like schematics on the pjrc midi link you posted. Pin 3 should not be connected and 5 should be connected to ground. Don't be fooled by the order they are shown on the page, physically they are placed in the logical order you wrote: 1 2 3 4 5 6. Thus, pin 5 would be the middle pin of the right side.

Loveaurell is right ....The resistors on the output circuit are different from the pjrc schem for 3.3V but the same for input...

The pjrc schematic uses the correct optocoupler (pc900?) pin numbers, .... ignore the pjrc schematic's physical placement of the pins, and use your optocoupler datasheet ... look for the dot on the chip (that is pin one) and then number around counter clockwise. Match numbers!!

Do you have a midi source (or even connect your outie with your innie!) ... why not confirm you are receiving data using the input program on the pjrc site (it prints to serial ..) .... that will confirm you have your wiring right ... then you can move onto soft through (loveaurell I thought that was only enabled by default in MIDI 4.2? is it enabled in 3.2??)

Hmm, don't know about the version of the MIDI lib. I'm using the one that shipped with Teensyduino when I downloaded it in January. I didn't have to enable it as far as I can remember. It just worked.

Oh cool. I'll check it out. thanks ... teensyduino is 3.2 from memory ...so there you go

I love you, guys!

Yes, it was my mistake! I misplace the pin 4 and 5 on the PC900!!! Shame on me!

I did the midi in test suggested by adrian and that gives me green light to work on the Midi thru function. I was placing the MIDI.read() on the Setup, then I moved to the Loop and now is working fine!

Thank you very much for your help! You guys rocks!!!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back