Studio DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumotoy

tubix.jpg
Here's my DAC, I'm using in studio always from about an year and of course uses a Teensy as well.
It uses an FPGA for clock syncro and D/A uses old Non over sampling D/A's (4 x channel) that can work at 192Khz thanhs to the hard work of FPGA (normally are stuck to 44.1-48Khz).
Teensy drive 2 digital receivers and (though 2 linear optocouplers) constantly monitor output and collect infos from FPGA,Receivers, drive Tube supply (when off for more than 5 min it just turn off supply), create the Tube Bias and some other stuff.
There's a couple of double triode Tubes to have more pump when I use DAC for drums.
I worked about 2 years on it to get the right sound, using many NOS dac since I prefere a lot over any oversampling modern stuff, so I tryed any type of configuration before this unit and at the end it's a part of my sound.
It uses only linear supply and very low noise regulators, it has a lot of trasformers because many sections are decoupled and all analog path has it's own separate ground, I have to avoid any possible noise or buzz since most of the time the output goes into a path were compressors will reveal everithing if present.
Now I'm building another one more compact to have same sound at home, of course simpler and will share to everyone.
Here's the front panel of the prototype, it's more a digital audio preamp with output for 3 spk and separate headphone, bla, bla.
mini.jpg

Thanks Paul for Teensy, I cannot build this without it! Teensy Rock!

Last edited:
that is a really impressive project. If you do have a simple one up your sleeve I would be keen to build it for my home studio.

edit: it does depend on what 'simple' means ... your project is simply astounding

Last edited:
Thanks guys! The real challenge was fit all in a 1" rack expecially the 7x AC trafo and in the same time preserve the signal path from interferences!
I have onboard a WZ5500 ethernet waiting to be enabled, have already builded several studio parts (preamps, SCR master, sum mixer) all drived by a Teensy and all with WZ5500 ethernet inside, the purpose is control everithing from my SCR master section (Studio Control Room master section, a very old video of an initial version
, sorry for hard breath, I had a horrible flu that time) that has a remote so everithing fit in a rack and my table it's finally empty!
The new remote uses screenkeys and communicate with SCR master trough I2C using a couple of special chips and a lot of patience (works at 400K with 20Mt CAT6 cable) since I2C is 'blocking', but now I'm thinking go with ethernet.

Here's an early photo of preamp, now changed a little, currently has a Teensy 3.2 and WZ5500 and based on transistor opamps and lundhal transformers drived by digital pots and of course has a couple of tube for some non linear distortion pump when needed.
Have build 4 rack like this for a total of 8 channels. I have another 3 unity rack with 20 channels based on THAT preamp chip. There's no buttons,pots or led, all it's done remotely.
I also builded a 4" rack with old Telefunken preamps (12) all controlled by digital pots with audio path separated by digital, this time I've used an AVR ATmega but everithing goes in a comm card drived by Teensy/WZ5500 of course...
xt1.jpg

And here the SCR master/SUM mixer rack during development, many cards missed in this picture
739918_10202182042462114_302610146_o.jpg
This unit has a 32ch sum mixer based on a neumann modified card and a complex control section with tons of relays for switch speakers,inputs, work with stereo/ms, etc.
It has a digital input section as well and 6 channel headphone mixer with talkback for musicians, talkback, inserts and can work in stereo/5.1/6.1/7.1 though several cirrus multichannel volume chip.

I'm mid age so I grow with StarTrek, Star Wars, Alien, so I really like old style big coloured buttons, VFD displays and talking interfaces and I used massively :cool:.
Most of the parts where recovered from old stuff, cash registers, buglar alarms, industrial eq,video mixers, etc. Some high quality audio stuff was recovered by old desk, I really enjoy reuse old parts and mix with new technology to give new life.
All powered by Teensy of course and withouth nothing was possible...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back