USB through Pogo Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenkai

I am curious if anyone has tried this before...

I would like to have a forward facing USB port on a device I am building. Teensy would be soldered to male headers, which would be inserted into female headers soldered on to the main PCB.

I am thinking about using Pogo headers (like these: https://www.mill-max.com/new_products/detail/12) under the teensy to connect to the USB pads that are exposed, which would be wired up to a surface mounted vertical micro USB port (like this: http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/1051330011_sd.pdf)

My obvious concern is that the connection may not be reliable enough for USB. Anybody try anything like this? Any advice? Bad Idea? great idea?

look at this for the teensy 3.2.

I've just ordered three from oshpark (actually shipped yesterday!), So I have no actual experience of them, but might be the ticket .... I guess there are through hole vertical receptacles that might fit the bill ... Personally I am trying out cheaper throughhole usb receptacles than in the post ...

And there is a micro cable to panel receptacle on the pjrc shop site.

woah... castellated connector. pretty cool. that is an option.... could make a small board to do a board to board thing... more food for thought. thx

I've done USB over pogo pins on another MCU (MSP430) without any problems... so assuming you can physically make it work, you should be fine (I personally used the cheap Chinese P50 series pogos). Note that pogo pins are usually somewhat tall, so make sure you have the clearance for the pin (since you obviously can't just trim it to desired length).

And of course I don't know what your environment is like... in my case, it was to allow development/testing on the board without soldering to the header, so it'd only be non-critical use in a controlled environment. I'm not sure I'd trust it inside a product that'd be used in a high vibration environment, where it'd be dropped, etc.

Pat

woah... castellated connector. pretty cool. that is an option.... could make a small board to do a board to board thing... more food for thought. thx
Castellated board connectors are great.. simple way to put a module on a mainboard without needing pins or through-hole connections. But Teensy, so far, is focused on enabling use with breadboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back