Part for Teensy 3.2 USB pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlchambers

Teensy 3.2 exposes USB signal pads on the underside (GREAT addition - thanks!!!)
Is there a suggested header (eg. DigiKey part#) to solder onto these pads which will extend them down like the perimeter thru-hole pins?

Thanks,
-Dave

If you are making your own pcb, a solution I came up with is to run a row of headers from 3v to digital pin 1, but only populate the 2nd and 3rd position with a right angle pin, which you can then solder to the digital usb pads. I am waiting for my boards from osh to test it, but can't see any issues with it. The good thing is since you run perpendicular across the board it is easy to line up the headers. I'm sure this makes no sense at all :confused:

tbh a photo could be helpful @turtle9er ;)

A quick note about the castellated connectors. I got some from OSH park (great turnaround!!) and they came with a thin copper trace right around the outside top and and bottom edges ..... you need to get rid of that 'edge trace', especially in between the castellated connectors .... it actually bridges them! It rubs right off with a heavy nail file so no problem ....

I got the general idea from the description - doing it with castellated pins could be nicer with the pins brought to the edge.

Indeed I got OSH boards that had that copper piece 'wiped' as the cutter passed. I did the same board at Maker.works and it was CLEAN - maybe the copper was less in the hole, or maybe the cutter was sharper or moved slower?

I emailed macaba, the creator of the castellated pins usb connector ... I think he is going to fix the edging with the OSH park people as soon as he has time...

Teensy_USB.jpg

Here is an image of what I mean. It is not soldered yet, still waiting for my boards to finish them. The only thing you have to do is trim the black plastic piece where the right angle headers insert. On all the header pins I have there is a think plastic piece on one side of the header, which is easy to take off with a knife. This allows the right angle header to sit flush or even a bit off the board. As I type this I realize now there are a few VIA pads close to where the pins will run. So in retrospect, I should of run the header across the very first row, which would prevent that. I guess for now I can just put a bit of tape on the bottom to make sure nothing shorts out. Maybe not the best method, but should get the job done.

@turtle9er thanks for the picture ... now I get it!! if you moved your header down one row you could stick a pin through vUSB! Might make the right angle pin stick out over the edge a bit maybe ...?

@macaba thankyou for your board!! and the fix.

@adrian, yes that was my other idea. Not sure why I changed my plan, Should work either way, plus easy enough to trim the header pins smaller. Think if I end up making more boards I will run it on the first row and have the headers facing inside. I assume using either VUSB or VIN will be fine since they are connected. Plus I added my own poly fuse on the usb power just in case.

I assume using either VUSB or VIN will be fine since they are connected. Plus I added my own poly fuse on the usb power just in case.

Oh right, I forgot the VIN is in that first row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back