saw in local news yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

doughboy

I saw in yesterday's local news about thieves high jacking wireless car key codes and thought the device looked like it is using a teensy.
sure enough, I found this on a google search

https://www.wired.com/2015/08/hackers-tiny-device-unlocks-cars-opens-garages/

The device shown in the news is exactly the same as the one pictured in that old article.

Next time you press your car or garage remote and it does not work, make sure to press it a few more times so the code captured by the device will not work.

Unfortunately, in high 433MHz traffic areas, your keyfob may not work repeatedly. Sammy's talk on this topic was really good (you can find it on Youtube somewhere). The vulnerability isn't as effective as news people make it seem. Most companies fixed the rolling code exploit before 2000. If you still feel insecure about this or have an older car, buy a modern remote key fob system like Keetec and replace the original one.
I have recently seen a different attack, actually easier to carry out where the attacker makes lots of noise on the 315/433MHz frequencies say on a mall parking lot to block your remote lock as you leave your car. If you don't notice it hasn't locked, they wait until you're gone and get in your car without any damage and alarms going off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back