Teensy 3.2 DIY Reference Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomvibe

Is the "Teensy 3.2 DIY Reference Board" in OSH Park available for sale as a pre-soldered functioning unit? Does the Arduino IDE with teensy add-on work with this board? Thanks.

Why not sell the OSH "Teensy 3.2 DIY Reference Board" assembled in pjrc.com along with the other Teensy boards? Perhaps this OSH board does not function properly?

AFAIK, that reference board is just a designing and prototyping "helper" for those who want to create their own custom Teensy boards. Those who need a ready-to-use solution can buy the "classic" teensy boards (soldered and testet) at PJRC.

Why not sell the OSH "Teensy 3.2 DIY Reference Board" assembled in pjrc.com along with the other Teensy boards?

Here's a few realities of making any electronic product...

#1 - Modern manufacturing is designed for high volume production. At fewer than 1000 boards, per-board costs go up substantially, and they're extremely high at under 100-200 pieces. Generally products only make economic sense when you're going to manufacture a large quantity, or when the product is so special that a small number of customers will pay a high price.

#2 - Aside from manufacturing, every product has one-time startup costs. The usual PCB setup and stencil fees are the simple part. For every product PJRC makes, we build a bed-of-nails test fixture, which usually comes with a substantial cost in dev time on top of the materials. These costs further increase the need to either sell a large quantity, or charge a very high price (and still manage to sell a smaller number at that price).

#3 - Every product, no matter how simple or similar to others, demands some degree of our attention. I believe Joel Glovier says it best: "Anything added dilutes everything else". While hiring more people and structuring company organization well (something that's much easier said than done) allows growth without too much loss of focus, my personal belief is we really need to focus on the long-planned K66-based Teensy. The key word here is "focus", which means avoid distraction from other much less important product ideas.

Perhaps this OSH board does not function properly?

That's definitely not the reason. I personally built and used the one you see in the photo. It works. Others have built it too and made it work. A clone with Eagle has even been made.

Seems like the pin compatible K22F would share most of those costs. But I'm sure you have considered such things vs the market demand and effort for a K66.

For any new board, PCB Stencil and test fixture HW and SW are unique. For a pin-compatible but different CPU replacement on existing board, SW is still different and that can take arbitrarily large amounts of time. At any rate there is a reasonable sized crowd waiting further news on "the long-planned K66-based Teensy". IMHO I think Paul has his priorities correct.

Last edited:
I've been an Arduino-Due user since it's inception, but unfortunately it's being discontinued. I bought a Teensy 3.2 board at MicroCenter, and I'm very impressed with the features. I really like the "stamp" profile and breadboard-readiness. My only gripe are the underside ADC pads - highly prefer them on the edge. On the other hand, I like your small & agile team that does it all: board development, software, libraries and forum involvement. The Arduino team seems sparse & scattered and slow & buggy. Kudos to your team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back