DSP Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

garytennyson

Hi,

I'm trying to code a hilbert transform in DSP, to implement a single-signal direct conversion receiver. This seems to be within the realm of the possible on the Teensy 3.2 ... IF I can use DSP instructions (not the pre-built library calls). Are these available? I guess I don't fully understand the development framework for the ARM architecture. I'm trying to relate using the AVR's as an example and something's not clicking.

Thanks
Gary Tennyson

Not sure about GCC (Arduino) using DSP instructions, or by default, versus other compilers like IAR, Keil.
If you use floating point, the current Teensy's don't have that ARM feature. Next one will. May not matter to your app.
Don't most such transforms use a lot of transcendental functions?

AVR... well, that's a light-year away from ARMs.

Last edited:
Some of the functions in the Audio library use DSP functions. These inline functions are defined in dspinst.h which is in arduino-1.6.9\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio\utility\.
The synth_sine.cpp file in the audio library, for example, uses functions such as multiply_32x32_rshift32_rounded() and multiply_accumulate_32x32_rshift32_rounded(). Each of these is defined in dspinst.h and each usually compiles down to one DSP instruction and all DSP instructions execute in a single cycle.
There's a PDF document which describes these instructions but, inevitably, I can't find it right now.
Try this link: http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0553a/CIHJJEIH.html
Select Multiply and Divide Instructions.

Pete

I thought an older version of the CMSIS DSP library ran on teensy 3.x ... for example that is where the heavy lifting for the FFT routine originates from in the audio library ...

Hi,

I'm trying to code a hilbert transform in DSP, to implement a single-signal direct conversion receiver. This seems to be within the realm of the possible on the Teensy 3.2 ... IF I can use DSP instructions (not the pre-built library calls). Are these available? I guess I don't fully understand the development framework for the ARM architecture. I'm trying to relate using the AVR's as an example and something's not clicking.

Thanks
Gary Tennyson

first question: how do you like to do the Hilbert transform? (FFT or FIR). I would suggest FFT, as it is then trivial, especially if you combine with bandpass filter.

FFT implementation is build in. However, due to fixed point DSP scaling is somewhat tricky fot FFT-IFFT combo and need some experiments.

second question: are you happy with 16 bit? then Teensy 3.2 has optimized DSP instructions. If not, depending in your timing requirements T3.2 may be too slow (multi-MHz direct conversion may be too much, but I have not done the Maths)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back