K66 Beta Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Paul, for example FastCRC: Do you think it is better to use KINETISK or to add __MK64FX512__ and __MK66FX1M0__ ?

Exciting news, here is the list of things I'd like to do:

1. General beta testing (i.e. responding when someone says 'can someone else check this works?'). I've got time for this.
2. Get the 1588 hardware timestamping working, perhaps then porting an existing 1588 library implementation to use the K66 driver. Paul can then fork this on Github and clean it up to his standard.
3. Beta test the IP stack Paul decides to use. Hopefully there is a reference Kinetis SDK stack with 1588 API methods in it already. I can imagine it'll be a few months before this is working.
4. Use the additional memory to finish my 128x128 OLED graphics driver (this keeps a framebuffer in memory, sent via DMA SPI, and can apply any screen rotation with decent anti-aliasing rather than being limited to 0/90/180/270, great for use with the Prop shield)

For anyone wondering what 1588 will give you:
- Multiple teensy on an Ethernet network that will very tightly synchronise an internal timer to each other, allowing you to issue commands like 'All Teensy - Set this pin high (i.e. trigger an interrupt) at exactly 09:00:00.000 tomorrow' and they'll all do it to within a few microseconds of each other.
- Multiple teensy on an Ethernet network can monitor inputs and upon a change, generate a very high resolution timestamp that is synchronised to GPS time, using only 1 GPS receiver on the network.

Here are some library .cpp files that have conditional for MK20DX256 but not yet for MK66FX1M0 (nor K64)

Code:
     TFT_ILI9163C.cpp

Looks like 35 instances there - I can test and do a pull request for those as that is one of the displays (multi with 3?) I'll want to plug in when Beta_K66 shows up.

They all seem to be simple T_3.2 usage that should be 1::1 with K66/K64 at least until their alternate SPI may come into play. Only hard part will be knowing what to call it in the comment :)

I still see T_3.4 and T_3.6 as most usable as those #defines grow:

Code:
#elif defined(__MK20DX128__) || defined(__MK20DX256__ || defined(__MK6[B]4[/B]FX512__ || defined(__MK6[B]6[/B]FX1M0__)//(arm) Teensy 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.[B]4[/B], 3.[B]6[/B]
	if ((_mosi == 11 || _mosi == 7) && (_sclk == 13 || _sclk == 14)) {
        SPI.setMOSI(_mosi);
  // ...

<edit>: "#if defined(KINETISK)" could work here too and catch all four of those if it will work to clarify SPI hardware as needed?
@Paul, for example FastCRC: Do you think it is better to use KINETISK or to add __MK64FX512__ and __MK66FX1M0__ ?

Last edited:
4. Use the additional memory to finish my 128x128 OLED graphics driver (this keeps a framebuffer in memory, sent via DMA SPI, and can apply any screen rotation with decent anti-aliasing rather than being limited to 0/90/180/270, great for use with the Prop shield)

Oh, i have something similar for my C64 Emulation (ili9341) - currently DMA for single lines , but i change it to "Full Screen DMA" when i have the beta-board..

Wow,

Thank you for selecting me.
I am honored.

I will be traveling quite a bit over the next several weeks, so round 3 is probably best for me.

Thanks again
Wozzy

Last edited:
Here are some library .cpp files that have conditional for MK20DX256 but not yet for MK66FX1M0 (nor K64)

IRremote:
I think IRremote will work with addition of the K66 (and K64) conditionals in IRremoteInt.h probably in the zip file described in
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_IRremote.html

but Paul also has an out-of-date? repository at https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/Arduino-IRremote

and then there is the master repository https://github.com/z3t0/Arduino-IRremote

i've updated the mp3/aac/flac codecs..
flac need an additional update after testing - with more memory it possible to support std. blocksizes.

Wonder if many of the #ifdef looking for the processors, can be handled by some of the more generic ones like:
Code:
#if defined(__arm__) && defined(CORE_TEENSY)
or in some cases like just looking at __arm__
I see several cases in the current release with these types of testing and it sure looks better than something like:
Code:
#elif defined(__MK20DX128__) || defined(__MK20DX256__ || defined(__MK64FX512__ || defined(__MK66FX1M0__)//(arm) Teensy 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6
It will be interesting.

Paul: Do you have a list of things showing what has been ported/tested/working?

Also I assume somethings may be done in stages. Example USART support. Make sure current stuff works like other T3s, but then there may be new functionality like the Transceiver Driver using RTS that may be interesting to take advantage of.

There are already existing defines like KINETISL (Teensy LC) and KINETISK (other Teensy 3.x)
Which to use depends on the use-case and what Pauls plans for the future are.. for FastCRC I tend to use KINETISK (is that ok Paul?), but for other purposes..(like SPI2) this is not possible..

Last edited:
Indeed you did:
2.2.5 Security and Integrity modules The following security and integrity modules are available on this device:

Table 2-6. Security and integrity modules

Cryptographic acceleration unit (CAU) Supports DES, 3DES, AES, MD5, SHA-1, and SHA-256 algorithms via simple C calls to optimized security functions provided by Freescale.

Random number generator (RNG) Supports the key generation algorithm defined in the Digital Signature Standard.

Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) Hardware CRC generator circuit using 16/32-bit shift register. Error detection for all single, double, odd, and most multi-bit errors, programmable initial seed value, and optional feature to transpose input data and CRC result via transpose register.

Indeed you did:

"The set of implemented algorithms provides excellent support for network security
standards, such as SSL and IPsec. Additionally, using the CAU efficiently permits the
implementation of any higher level functions or modes of operation, such as HMAC,
CBC, and so on based on the supported algorithms"

Awesome to be on the list. Would love to help out with testing!
I have some CAN stuff I can try and do some RX/TX speed tests with high speed LTE modules.
I'll email Robin in a bit, I'll be glad to pay the extra postage as I'm in the EU if you consider my offer to beta.

Either is fine.

Eventually I want to expand the HAS_KINETISK_XYZ defines. One should probably exist to tell whether the CRC peripheral is present. For now, all KINETISK chips have it.

Paul: Do you have a list of things showing what has been ported/tested/working?

Not yet....

Did I read "onboard crypto" ? That sounds amazing.

Like so many things, it is both amazing and underwhelming, depending on how you look at it. My understand so far is it's a small compute engine with with own (not so well documented) assembly-like language. It doesn't actually do all the work of a cipher, just the heavy lifting of the "rounds" some. Compiled examples exist for popular ciphers. Apparently there's also examples for various types of interpolation of data which can be used for arbitrary sample rate conversion, which is more interesting to me than crypto. I feel it may be quite a while until I can spend serious time fiddling with this hardware.... the SDIO controller is my top priority. The new USB controller and ethernet will also consume my time before I get to play with the CAU.

Just got back from a week away - honoured to be given the opportunity to help. Will wait until the third round.
Thanks again.

Here's the pinout info.

Code:
Outside edge pads (counterclockwise)
------------------------------------

Pin  ADC  Ser  PWM  SPI     I2C   CAN  Touch  I2S   Eth   Native
---  ---  ---  ---  ---     ---   ---  -----  ---   ---   ------
GND
0         RX1        MOSI1             TOUCH              B16
1         TX1        MISO1             TOUCH              B17
2              PWM                                        D0
3              PWM          SCL2  TX0         txd0  RXD1  A12
4              PWM          SDA2  RX0         lrclk RXD0  A13
5         tx1  PWM                                        D7
6              PWM   CS1                                  D4
7         RX3  PWM   mosi0  scl0                          D2
8         TX3  PWM   miso0  sda0                          D3
9         RX2  PWM   CS0                      BCLK        C3
10        TX2  PWM   CS0                                  C4
11                   MOSI0                    MCLK        C6
12                   MISO0                                C7
3.3V
24                                                  CLK   E26
25                                            bclk  RXER  A5
26        tx1                                 txd1  RXDV  A14
27        rx1                                 rxd0  TXEN  A15
28                                            rxd1  TXD0  A16
29             PWM                tx0  TOUCH  bclk        B18
30             PWM                rx0  TOUCH  lrclk       B19
31   A12  RX4                                             B10
32   A13  TX4        SCK1                                 B11

33   A14  TX5               scl0  TX1                     E24
34   A15  RX5               sda0  RX1                     E25
35   A16       PWM                            mclk        C8
36   A17       PWM                                        C9
37   A18       PWM          SCL1                          C10
38   A19       PWM          SDA1              rxd1        C11
39   A20                                      mclk  TXD1  A17
DAC0 A21
DAC1 A22
GND
13                   SCK0                     RXD0        C5
14   A0        PWM   sck0                                 D1
15   A1              CS0               TOUCH  txd1        C0
16   A2                     scl0       TOUCH        MDIO  B0
17   A3                     sda0       TOUCH        MDC   B1
18   A4                     SDA0       TOUCH        TIMER B3
19   A5                     SCL0       TOUCH        TIMER B2
20   A6        PWM   CS0                                  D5
21   A7   rx1  PWM   CS0                                  D6
22   A8        PWM                     TOUCH  TXD0        C1
23   A9        PWM                     TOUCH  LRCLK       C2
3.3V
AGND
VIN

Interior pads (same location as Teensy LC & 3.2)
-------------
A10
A11
AREF
VUSB

Interior pads (located between pin 27 & 38/A19)
-------------
Reset
Program
GND
3.3V
Vbat

Interior pads (meant for 5 pin header)
-------------
VUSBHOST
Host D-
Host D+
GND
GND
Host Power Enable = PTE6

On-board SD card (decicated 4-bit SDIO)
----------------
DAT2   (PTE5)
DAT3   (PTE4)
CMD    (PTE3)
3.3V
CLK    (PTE2)
GND
DAT0   (PTE1)
DAT1   (PTE0)

TBD: extra pads if they fit on bottom side
------------------------------------------

Pin  ADC  Ser  PWM  SPI     I2C   CAN  Touch  I2S   Eth   Native
---  ---  ---  ---  ---     ---   ---  -----  ---   ---   ------

GND
DBGEN
SWCLK 
SWDAT 
54                                                        D15
55                                                        D11
56                          SDA3              txd0        E10
57                          SCL3              lrclk       E11

40                                                        A28
41                                                        A29
42                                                        A26
51                                                        D14 
52                                                        D13
53                                                        D12

43                  CS2                                   B20
44                  MOSI2                                 B22
45                  MISO2                                 B23
46                  SCK2                                  B21
GND
3.3V 
47        RX6               scl0                          D8
48        TX6               sca0                          D9
49   A23                                            TIMER B4
50   A24                                            TIMER B5

Last edited:
I'm honored to be on the list of beta-testers. No rush for me. I'm incredibly busy ATM, but later on I imagine I'd like to test any SDIO library, serial communication, and I can try on whatever versions of linux I have at the time in round 3 or 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back