K66 Beta Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
FrankB's post #95 with Port#'s is nice <now in post #3> it is now 2 edits out of date ( Touch [p#101/102] and Old End Pins )

Wiki would be perfect for this indeed.

Re my post #78 - I just saw Kinetis.h:: KINETISK_SPI0 [line 3842] that should track SPI as needed for TFT_ILI9163C better than four unique processor's in some mix for 42 instances?

sumotoy - you're on Beta list too - I'll make this change and test it in first days after I get K66 and get you a PULL if it makes it right unless you do it first or see an issue.

I'm a huge fan of the Teensy 3.2 + audio board. And I'm happy to hear about the beta test of the new K66 board.

@Paul:
If you consider your experience and the history of the Teensy 3.2, what is (roughly) a realistic date for the new boards to be available at the known european dealers?

And another question: How do you rate the role of the FPU for audio processing? Will it simplify audio-code and/or increasy numerical precision?

Anyone can submit a pull request to this micro-site:

Please keep all the beta test info only on this forum thread, and please the conversation text-based. Do not post hardware photos or pinout diagrams. Please do not post about this beta testing on social networks like Twitter & Facebook!

My hope is we can keep this public. Teensy isn't anywhere near the size of Arduino or Raspberry Pi, who need to keep their beta tests extremely secret. But too much premature publicity could make my life more complicated, which would ultimately mean less attention to development work... and the end of PJRC sharing this sort of info early. I know the forum & text only isn't as convenient. Please try.

@Paul:
If you consider your experience and the history of the Teensy 3.2, what is (roughly) a realistic date for the new boards to be available at the known european dealers?

This is exactly the question I don't want flooding my email inbox if sites like Hackaday find a permanent page with photos! (they're very unlikely to consider text-only forum conversation as "newsworthy")

Realistically, likely sometime in August 2016.

How do you rate the role of the FPU for audio processing? Will it simplify audio-code and/or increasy numerical precision?

The audio library doesn't use the FPU. Several of the Arduino API functions use float, but they're designed to inline to integer-only math in most cases. Even when they don't, the FPU is only used in the Arduino API side. All the actual audio processing is integer only. The Cortex-M4 DSP extensions allow significantly faster audio processing than the FPU, so my intention is to continue the integer-only design.

FrankB's post #95 with Port#'s is nice <now in post #3> it is now 2 edits out of date ( Touch [p#101/102] and Old End Pins )
fixed. Note the "end pins" row (Vbat et altera) has moved, it's not between Pins 12 and 13.

If you carefully read the pin list and visualize the positions in your head I think you can deduce a very good image of how the new Teensy will look like, including the µSD slot.

@Paul, will the USB pads be SMD or THT? I guess THT, just want to be sure.

Paul posted this:
> Interior pads (same location as Teensy LC & 3.2) [A10, A11, AREF , VUSB]
> Interior pads (located between pin 27 & 38/A19) [RESET, PROGRAM, GND, 3.3V, Vbat]
> Interior pads (meant for 5 pin header) [ VUSBHOST, Host D-, Host D+, GND, GND ]

<edit>
Through Hole pads

Last edited:
> Interior pads (same location as Teensy LC & 3.2) [A10, A11, AREF , VUSB]
> Interior pads (located between pin 27 & 38/A19) [RESET, PROGRAM, GND, 3.3V, Vbat]
> Interior pads (meant for 5 pin header) [ VUSBHOST, Host D-, Host D+, GND, GND ]

All of these will be through-hole. Yes, they do make parts placement and routine much harder.

Beta boards are going out today to the following users:
manitou
Defragster
KurtE
el_supremo
adrianfreed
jonr
Theremingenieur
Frank B
sumotoy
GremlinWrangler

More beta boards will be going out by early next week to those who have told me that you have time for testing.

teensy3/analog.c : I may not be looking at the latest github file, but it doesn't seem that analogWriteDAC0 is defined for K64/K66, nor is the pin mapping set up for the internal ADC channels (temperature, VREF). When the K66 arrives, the truth will be revealed.

Never mind'ish, I see the "ugly hack" in analog.c
Code:
#if defined(__MK64FX512__) || defined(__MK66FX1M0__) // ugly hack for now...
#define __MK20DX256__
#endif

Though K66/K64 don't have VREFOUT, but have bandgap on AD27 and need to set PMC_REGSC[BGBE] like LC

EDIT
: I was wrong, K66 does have VREF output, ADC1/AD18, just like teensy 3

Last edited:
Is the position of DAC0 changing or just the numbering for it?

I believe both are changing.

If I read the pin layout correctly, the back row of pins in the current Teensy 3.2 that aren't on the outside rows (DAC/A14, Program, Ground, 3.3v, Vbat) will not be in the current location.

DAC0 is now on the the left side of the Teensy. Beyond pin 13, there is a ground pin, DAC0 and DAC1, and then pins 39-33. So if you are connecting the Teensy to a breadboard or perfboard, you can bring out the pin normally.

There will be another row of interior pins that have Reset, Program, Ground, 3.3v, and Vbat on it (yeah, that Reset is now a through hole pin once again).

If you wanted to mount the Prop Shield, you would need to add a wire connecting the Shield's DAC pin to the new DAC0 on the board.

Last edited:
@defragster: I fear that your PNG files violate Paul's "Text only" policy...
I wondered that as well, although exact same data as Paul's list, but maybe easier to read.

Likewise another thing I have done, is to build an equivalent spreadsheet using the K66 Signal Multiplexing and Pin Assignments, from the K66 documents and extracted the pins that are used into one table in the Teensy pin number order. This way I find it easier to find things like, what are the Alternate pins that I can use for RX1...

But not sure if including a table with this is allowed in this thread?

Kurt

I wondered that as well, although exact same data as Paul's list, but maybe easier to read.

Likewise another thing I have done, is to build an equivalent spreadsheet using the K66 Signal Multiplexing and Pin Assignments, from the K66 documents and extracted the pins that are used into one table in the Teensy pin number order. This way I find it easier to find things like, what are the Alternate pins that I can use for RX1...

But not sure if including a table with this is allowed in this thread?

Kurt

My argument is, that Paul has published the pin list, which seems not to be complete (see last section), but everyone who will do beta testing is invited to check the board ans Paul's list with the documentation.
In fact, I would not blindly trust any of the lists . If here are errors or missing functionality, it could be reported, so that Paul can correct his official list. As I see the K66 port numbers as most important info, I would only appreciate if Paul could augment his list with the correct port numbers. (I know Frank has done something, but .... )
Everyone (as KurtE) has different approaches but a proliferation of pin lists may only generate confusion, or increase entropy.

Last edited:
Everyone (as KurtE) has different approaches but a proliferation of pin lists may only generate confusion, or increase entropy.
Actually I usually need both types of lists.

I like the simple card, however it is usually not complete, and so you need to look elsewhere.
Examples: suppose I wish to try out the ILI9341 display on the new board, I need to know which IO pins are hardware CS pins. The 3.2 card I think shows 6 of them, but I believe there are 9 of them supported by the software..

Likewise USARTs - Supposed I wish to use the CTS pin for a USART, I don't believe any of these are shown on the card.

Frank, yep I use the same header file. I have not double checked your findings yet, but will do. Earlier I was trying to figure out some of the missing ones like A10/A11, which I will do later.

Thanks!

I like the simple card, however it is usually not complete, and so you need to look elsewhere.
Examples: suppose I wish to try out the ILI9341 display on the new board, I need to know which IO pins are hardware CS pins. The 3.2 card I think shows 6 of them, but I believe there are 9 of them supported by the software..

Likewise USARTs - Supposed I wish to use the CTS pin for a USART, I don't believe any of these are shown on the card.

Frank, yep I use the same header file. I have not double checked your findings yet, but will do. Earlier I was trying to figure out some of the missing ones like A10/A11, which I will do later.

Thanks!
With my goggle document spreadsheet, I now track CTS and RTS (even though I don't think the library yet supports CTS/RTS for anything by Serial1). However, adding the K66 (and K64 if it has different pinout or functionality other than slower speed and 5v tolerance) will make it unusable. I suspect it may be time to retire the Teensy 3.0 columns.

How to display things where on the Teensy 3.0/3.1/3.2 has 10 pins on pads underneath the teensy, the K66 now brings these out to the 20 new pins that were added is something I've been thinking of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back