K66 Beta Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed - Bootloader fixes sound great! Will test when I see it. I take it this 'update' is a feature in Teensy.exe?

EEPROM write in HSRUN, by dropping HSRUN at speed, seems to be working - KurtE tested. Just put it on a T_3.6 running Ethernet test, and SDHC, and Serial port loop through and made a post where others can do the same with a sketch include file (that post also has skeleton sketch for stand alone use):
INCLUDE for RTC isr() with HSRUN DROP and RESTORE EEPROM WRITE

Using that header file - You can do an EEPROM write in your code at any time with something like this:
Code:
  HSRUN_DROP_BLOCK(  ) { // DO NO I/O in this block
    EEPROM[ RTCTestLoc ] = LastRTCval;
  }

Thanks FrankB for the ridiculous idea to just drop HSRUN, it seems to be working perfectly well on the two T_3.6's I have at any speed 120 to 240 MHz. And thanks Duff for exposing the way cool _BLOCK() in use above in snooze! I hope this allows a way to have effective EEPROM use on T_3.6.

Last edited:
Indeed - Bootloader fixes sound great! Will test when I see it. I take it this 'update' is a feature in Teensy.exe?
My hunch is that Paul is talking about the MKL02 bootloader chip.
Any mods will then only affect future Teensy or bootloader chip sales, which is fine for T3.5,6 and, as it seems, T3.2 or earlier are not affected.

My hunch is that Paul is talking about the MKL02 bootloader chip.
Any mods will then only affect future Teensy or bootloader chip sales, which is fine for T3.5,6 and, as it seems, T3.2 or earlier are not affected.

Yes, that is the root of my question - can the bootloader chip be updated during programing?

Ok, here is the update:

Linux 32
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/beta/k66_boot_update/linux32/teensy

Linux 64
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/beta/k66_boot_update/linux64/teensy

Mac
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/beta/k66_boot_update/mac/teensy.zip

Windows
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/beta/k66_boot_update/windows/teensy.exe

To use this, first quit Teensy Loader if you have it running. Then run this new copy of Teensy Loader. Use Help > About (or Teensy > About on Mac) to check the version. It should say "1.31-boot-update". If you see 1.30 or older, quit Teensy Loader and try again. Only one instance can run, so if you have an older copy running, this new one can't start.

Then use Arduino to upload any sketch. The update takes only a couple seconds.

To check if it worked, open the Help > Verbose Info window. Turn off Auto mode and press the button on your Teensy. You should see it detected as "Board is: Teensy 3.6 (MK66FX1M0), version 1.03" in the verbose info. All the beta and preproduction boards shipped with version 1.02.

Hi Paul,

You might want to put the Windows file into a zip file or something as my web browsers won't allow me to download an .exe (both Firefox and Edge)

OK, I update T3.6 on Mac.

Couple of quick questions:

Is this a run once and then not needed again - so continue with Teensy loader that shipped with the latest version of Teensyduino?

What about T3.5 beta boards, should I run it on it as well?

Thanks

Kurt

P.S. - On Mac without other USB serial # fix shows back up as no serial #...

I've tested the new Teensy.exe with the very large test file that I posted here and also with the version of the vocoder which uses more than 512kB. They both work.
Excellent.

Pete

I've just stretched the test file to very close to 1MB and it works.
Code:
Sketch uses 1,045,584 bytes (99%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1,048,576 bytes.
Global variables use 5,380 bytes (2%) of dynamic memory, leaving 256,764 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 262,144 bytes.

Pete

Of course no ser# on K66_PROTO. But is there something odd with that 'upgrade' on the PROTO unit? T_3.1 through TYQT still powers on in ~2 secs and prints - the K66_PROTO was at like 7 seconds? And missing the 'Hello world ...' part of first print.

Seems to have a 5-6 second delay getting on USB? Found a working simple blink with Serial out - several I tried were losing 'line feeds'

Tried switching to T_3.6_KS and it seemed to have ser# - but Windows machine hung hard for some reason? Will have to get back to that.

T_3.6_KS seemed to be starting slower on my EEPROM work too?

Got back to PC (post 1391) - dead/hung - no keyboard light toggle or mouse or CrtlAltDel response - four teensys unplugged - not typical. The T_3.6_KS is fast and fine to boot. I'm not sure that bootloader upgrade isn't somehow not fitting for the PROTO units? It definitely takes 5-6 seconds to register on USB even now fresh after reset.

And where the T_3.6_KS gets 'Hello World! ... 1138' the PROTO gets '6501' on the same sketch as the first line on TYQT. I do get this on IDE SerMon 'Hello World! ... 6001', more complete but still a long time and it requires a SerMon restart after it 'chimes' on as Windows USB connect.

I had been using both about equally before for some too many dozens of EEPROM uploads and never saw such behavior. Going to set it aside until I power up the other desktop/hear something. Back to EEPROM uploading on T_3.6_KS and NO PROBLEMS!

The T_3.6_KS for sure has a serial number showing in TYQT!

I don't see anything from holding the button 18 seconds or longer - I repower and the old code comes up?:
... One new feature will be added. If you hold the program button for 15 seconds (actually, between 13 to 17 seconds) the chip is fully erased, including eeprom data.

About EEPROM write in HSRUN: I see three downloads of the RTC included new 'all in header' version. It works well for me to just drop from HSRUN a bit to do EEPROM writes at speed. ... more on that thread - with a code update tomorrow.

Confirm update works on Teensy 3.6 on Windows 10 64bit

Code:
10:44:33: Bootloader update: 1% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:33: Bootloader update: 3% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:33: Bootloader update: 4% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:34: Bootloader update: 5% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:34: Bootloader update: 6% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:34: Bootloader update: 8% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:34: Bootloader update: 9% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:34: Bootloader update: 10% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:34: Bootloader update: 11% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:34: Bootloader update: 13% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:35: Bootloader update: 14% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:35: Bootloader update: 15% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:35: Bootloader update: 16% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:35: Bootloader update: 18% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:35: Bootloader update: 19% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:35: Bootloader update: 20% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:35: Bootloader update: 21% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:35: Bootloader update: 23% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:35: Bootloader update: 24% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:35: Bootloader update: 25% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:36: Bootloader update: 26% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:36: Bootloader update: 28% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:36: Bootloader update: 29% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:36: Bootloader update: 30% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:36: Bootloader update: 31% of estimated 8 seconds
10:44:36: Bootloader update finished, 2.5 seconds

Only this is interesting, going to 31% and finished?

Last edited:
Yes, that is the root of my question - can the bootloader chip be updated during programing?

OK, now we know it, and to my surprise (or ignorance) it seems that bootloader chip can be programmed via USB.
In hind-side, this makes sense, as SWD is 2-way.
I guess, however, it still remains not a trivial undertaking.

Correct, just run it once.
Yes, please update Teensy 3.5 also.

Paul,
Is this just for Teensys currently in the field?
Will future T3.5s and T3.6s ship with these bootloader updates already in place?

Not having any problem with the bootloader update with a K66 proto unit. The verbose info from teensy.exe is generated immediately when I push the reset button.

Pete
P.S. Win 7 Pro 64-bit. Arduino 1.6.11, TD 1.30 + the bootloader update

Last edited:
Got back to PC (post 1391) - dead/hung - no keyboard light toggle or mouse or CrtlAltDel response - four teensys unplugged - not typical. The T_3.6_KS is fast and fine to boot. I'm not sure that bootloader upgrade isn't somehow not fitting for the PROTO units? It definitely takes 5-6 seconds to register on USB even now fresh after reset.

And where the T_3.6_KS gets 'Hello World! ... 1138' the PROTO gets '6501' on the same sketch as the first line on TYQT. I do get this on IDE SerMon 'Hello World! ... 6001', more complete but still a long time and it requires a SerMon restart after it 'chimes' on as Windows USB connect.

@Defragster - I can't understand what you're saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back