Scanner Discovery Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianmichalk

I am running Eclipse Mars, and the Arduino V3 plugin. I can build a project for my Arduino.

Next, I installed TeensyDuino 1.28.
I created a new Arduino project, set the board to Teensy 3.2, and selected the default example sketch for Blink.

The Problems tab is showing two scanner discovery problems for arm-non-eabi-g++ and arm-non-eabi-gcc

Console output:
10:40:57 **** Incremental Build of configuration Release for project teensytest ****
make all
Building file: ../.ino.cpp
Starting C++ compile
/bin/sh: 1: /hardware/tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++: not found
"/hardware/tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -c -Os -g -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -nostdlib -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -fsingle-precision-constant -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=128 -DARDUINO=10606 -DF_CPU=48000000 -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -I"/home/michalk/eclipse-mars/arduino-1.6.5-r5/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy3" -MMD -MP -MF".ino.cpp.d" -MT".ino.cpp.o" -D__IN_ECLIPSE__=1 -x c++ "../.ino.cpp" -o ".ino.cpp.o" -Wall
make: *** [.ino.cpp.o] Error 127

10:40:57 Build Finished (took 78ms)

It's not clear to me where I would set the path to the compiler. I've set my Eclipse environment path to:
/bin:/usr/bin:${eclipse_home}/arduino-1.6.5-r5

I've tried other forms of variables, and can't seem to get this to work.

Suggest changing your title to mention eclipse, since that's more likely to get seen by the Teensy forum members who are also Eclipse experts.

You should report Eclipse related problems here https://github.com/jantje/arduino-eclipse-plugin/issues to get support from the Eclipse Arduino plugin developers.

I'm using Eclipse Arduino (which has recently been renamed Sloeber) on a daily basis without problems. But I installed the Arduino 1.6.9 app and the Teensyduino 1.2.9 add-on first. When installing Sloeber (always the latest nightly build) after that, it detected and adjusted all paths automatically.

Last edited:
Does this mean that when you install Sloeber, you extract the "tar.gz" archive to the folder where you installed Arduino and Teensyduino? I just started trying to use the 3.1 (stable release), and I'm not having any success yet.

You install Sloeber as a new, independent app, following the install instructions for your OS. After that, when configuring your projects, you have to point towards your Arduino directory with Teensyduino installed.

Thank you. Yes, I figured out how to reference my Arduino\Hardware\Teensy path, and now I can build for Teensy. The next step is to understand how to add references to the Libraries and Examples from Arduino, or to somehow copy them to Sloeber.

No need to copy whatever over. If you installed the correct Sloeber version, you have a "Arduino" in the main menu which allows to add all arduino/teensyduino libraries to your current project. Looks like you haven't read the manual...

Actually I did read the instructions, but some required steps are not mentioned, so there's still a non-zero learning curve, especially for someone new to Arduino, Teensy, and Eclipse. The documentation says that all you have to do to add a library in V3 is to have the #include in your ino or cpp file. That seems to be incorrect, or at least it is incorrect for the last stable release (3.1). You do need to explicitly "add library" from the Arduino menu. Adding the library updates the include path to include that folder, so you don't need to modify the paths on the Window::preferences page. In fact, that is not necessrary or sufficient, so I would conclude it's better not to do that. I would add that for Windows 32-bit, the stable release 3.1 installs correctly and runs well, but the two latest snapshots get errors on install that corrupt the text throughout the UI. Thanks for your help, in any case.

I'm completely new to Arduino and Teensy, but not entirely new to Eclipse, and not at all new to embedded systems. Arduino is definitely the easiest way to get started with Teensy, but I found it awkward to do more, so I started reading the various posts about building from makefiles and the various IDE options. Sloeber is the only one I've seen so far that has a complete solution in one install. I only spent a few hours between last night and today to be able to build any of the Teensyduino examples with Sloeber, so I would recommend it for anyone who wants to get past limitations of Arduino. Jantje has put in a great deal of work on his Arduino Eclipse Plugin, and I'm happy to support his efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back