Teensy ++ 2 EEPROM Programmer - a good idea ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelk

Hello,

I need to flash some Atmel 29C256 Parallel EEPROM, And thought that a Teensy ++ 2.0 I have laying around would be perfect for the job (and that the commercial programmer are way to expensive for my 4 chips need), but after some searching everybody seems to use some multiplexers and less pins to program them. Is my idea of simply using the many pins of the ++ to directly connect to the EEPROM a stupid one ?

I don't think it would be too hard to do, but as it seems nobody does it that way, I just wanted to know if I'm missing anything obvious before investing time in it.

Is my idea of simply using the many pins of the ++ to directly connect to the EEPROM a stupid one ?

That's how I'd do it, if I was building such a thing from scratch.

But whether I'd build it from scratch would depend on how well documented existing designs are...

Thank you, I only could find some distantly related projects and the datasheet of the eeprom.
I'll try to do it and document it as well as I can.
I'll stop trying when it works or I feel that my time is more valuable than the first Chinese programmer I can find :)

I changed the eprom type for a 29F020, a bit bigger and easier to program. appart from the rat's nest of wire, the hardware part should be straightforward.

EEPROM-Small_0237C44C.png

Soldering done.

Up_B69187B4.jpg

Bottom_93EF2ADF.jpg

But before firing it up, I'll test everything for continuity and probably make myself a test rig (essentially a fake DIP40 with leds on every pins).

I've been able to perfectly read an W29C020C-90B EEPROM chip from an Abit KA7-100 Motherboard made in the year 2000 (I kept the EEPROM "just in case") and I was able to download the BIOS file from this exact version and they MATCH !

\o/

If by any chance it would be usefull to anybody, here is the source for that : Teensy2EEPROM_0_1_4_A_74BEE132.zip ( 1,5 ko ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back