painful start: WinAVR, Teensy_loader_cli

xdata

Dear pjrc,

here is my experience when I (tried to) switch to teensy:

I want to develop a very simple USB device. I did a lot of MCU and USB developing.
I found the teensy 2.0 because of its size. - nice!
I started developing with the Arduino IDE: Painful GUI, but this is not your fault.
I found out, that using USB with Teensy 2.0 requires a C compiler (Not Arduino) and I found an example project.
This project came with a MakeFile. I could not run it.
I found out that I have to use WinAVR. I downloaded and installed it.
I tried it and got an (apperently very well know) error about a missing dep file.
I googled and I found that I have to replace a file in the utils/bin folder of WinAVR.
Then I could run this makefile, great. This took me two full days to come here.
Now I figured that I have to code some C (apparently impossible with Arduino) to adapt the usb example for my project.
Therefore I'd like to use the Atmel Studio IDE which I know well. To use this, beside other things this requires a tiny helper called teensy_loader_cli.
I found the link on your page but it only linked to the source code of that tiny exe. With another wonderful Makefile.
To compile this, I first have to change this makefile from Apple to Windows (yes, apparently I am the only nerd in the word who uses such a strange and rarely used operating system). Then I found out that I have to install GCC to compile it. I could not find I download like for that free software in the net, at least not for Windows. But you say, I could use a software called MinGW. I googled and found this and installed it. Now guess what: no make.exe in the bin folder.

I am about to give up.

Is it so terrible difficult to offer the teensy_loader_cli.exe in a compiled version for windows for download?
Is it so terrible difficult to tell the users the the WinAVR software needs a patch?

BR
xdata

Is it so terrible difficult to ask for help in this forum?
Not that I have found. Did not see any specific questions? Other than maybe asking Paul to maybe have a location to download an executable version of teensy_loader_cli for the different platforms.

Another option you might want to take a look at is Teensy QT, which you can read about at: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/27825-Teensy-Qt, I believe there may be downloadable GUI and command line app here.

As has been stated in many threads and is stated above: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

If you wish to use Atmel Studio or Visual Studio, have you tried using Visual Micro

Not sure about not being able to use USB with Arduino on Teensy 2.0? I have not used the 2.0 for many things as the Teensy 3.x or LC are great, but I have used USB for simple Serial communications by using the Serial object. You can also configure what type of USB device you wish to compile for by going to the Tools menu and look at the "USB Type" menu item. I believe there are examples you can load for many of these?

Not sure what else to say as there are not really any details here other than you wish to do something using the USB of a Teensy 2 and you don't wish to use Arduino IDE.

Hopefully if you can better describe what it is you are trying to do, like make the T2 look like a Keyboard or Mouse or Serial device. Here are the libraries I would like to use, or here is a link to the example program I would like to try, then maybe someone can help with some more specific suggestions.

Hope that helps

Back