Odd question #2: What programs do you use for schematic capture and board layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people use Eagle, there are free versions of it. http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/freeware/
There are lots of libraries of parts out there for different parts including ones by Sparkfun and Adafruit

I use diptrace: http://www.diptrace.com/
There is a freeware version of it which has a max of 2 layers and 300 pins and not used for commercial purposes. I purchased a version in case I ever decided to sell anything... Not likely :D

Not as many libraries out there for diptrace, but, you can go into Eagle and export whatever library you wish as script and diptrace has the ability to create their libraries...

Last edited:
I use an ancient version of PADS for PCB layout, and for schematics I use messy & woefully incomplete random scribbling mostly on Post-It notes. When/if a design actually becomes a product, I draw a bitmap schematic with the Gimp.

I'm kind of a Luddite like that. ;)

I use the free version of Eagle as most Arduino components seem to have a library symbol. Adafruit and Sparkfun use Eagle for their products.

Despite its flaws, I use designspark PCB.
Free and totally unrestricted. Pretty straightforward to use. But I'll admit, the only real reason I use it now over KiCAd is because I've built up a fairly big library of custom components that I trust for PCB designs.

If I were starting fresh now, I'd probably use KiCad (all will probably move over to it after this current project at work).

I use a (licensed) Eagle. Despite its UX quirks it's imo still the most powerful ECAD software in terms of library/footprint availability and industrial support. My PCB fab also accepts .brd files, saves me the hassle with Gerbers.

I've used the free version of Eagle for a number of projects. The nice thing with Eagle is that it also works natively on Mac OS X.
For the most recent project that included unusual shaped PCBs with cut-outs and Components at odd angles I used Altium CirquitMaker and it's been a very pleasant experience. The drawback is that it only works on Windows, so I had to fire up Windows / VM Ware Fusion on my Mac.
I found that working with imported DXF files as very pleasant with CircuitMaker. The ability to snap to center points makes thins a lot easier when the geometry of PCBs does not adhere to a fixed grid.
Both PCBs mechanically interface with 3D printed parts and the entire product was designed in Fusion360. The PCBs were then exported as DXF and imported into CircuitMaker.

While it has it's own idiosyncrasies in general I find CircuitMaker much, much more intuitive to work with than Eagle.

IMG_1988.jpg

Ring-O-Star main PCB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back