FCC certification for embedded TeensyLC USB MIDI device

Status
Not open for further replies.

amowry

I'm curious what to expect if I go through this process. Does anyone have experience that would give me a rough estimate of cost? My understanding is that a USB peripheral requires a declaration of conformity. Thanks for your help!

Insufficient information. Depending on if it will be considered Class A ISM equipment, or considered for Class B personal computer will determine whether you pursue a 'verification' or 'Declaration'.

The FCC site has a list of TCBs that will provide quote and advise.

It will be a class B consumer device, so I'm pretty sure I need a declaration for it. I was hoping to get some idea of the cost before I proceed much further so I can get a sense of whether it will be feasible to market it on a small scale.

Not trying to be a dirtbag (because am already one, so do not have to try), but once you start applying government or conformity assessment marks to your stuff, you enter a complex, byzantine world that is an unholy mix of legal code, administrative regulations, physics, chemistry, and electrical engineering.

The PJRC forums, which are the best in its class, is not that venue. This discussion should have occurred while writing the product specification. But can tell you that there is an excellent group of people (where many subscribers are members of the technical committees that write these regulations and standards) on an IEEE listserv, that would be willing to answer well-formed questions after you have spent a little time googling and reading 47CFR15:

EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG

Much luck, and may the Compliance Engineering angels watch over your project.

I went down the "B" certification path in the early '90's. <sarcasm> I'm sure it's gotten simpler since then! </sarcasm>

I ended up working with a company that walked the product through the process for me. It was cheaper to pay to use the skills of someone else than to develop the skills myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back