Creating a varriable wien bridge oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnab

I had been trying to build a variable wien bridge oscillator . The schematic is shown below IMG_20160705_120430749.jpg . I wanted to change the frequency by using a pot . But it starts to distort after 12 Khz. Also when i am reducing both the capacitors to 1 nF I find the waveform to be triangular more than sinusoidal. Also if I want to drive 0.5 w 8 ohm ospeaker should i use an op amp or an lm386 ?

Last edited:
Hi, here's what I remember about wien bridge oscillators. AFAIR, the two resistors and the two capacitors in the frequency-defining part need to match, so to make the frequency tunable you need a dual potentiometer or a dual adjustable capacitor, so this might explain the distortion.
Next is the negative feedback part that sets the gain. for a stable oscillation, the feedback needs to set the gain to exactly 3, which is impossible to achieve with resistors alone as they will drift and the oscillation will either die off or grow bigger until the output is limited by the rail voltages. That's why you insert a nonlinear element, in your case the diodes, to lower the gain when a certain amplitude is reached (when the diodes start conducting). But sadly, because of the nonlinear behavior, the output will contain harmonics, which might be why you see a more triangular shape. If you want to keep the approach using diodes, switch to 1N4148 diodes and put small resistors in series with the diodes. You'll have to experiment with the values, my guess is something between 10 and 200 Ohms.

To drive anything under about 500 Ohms, you should always consider using a dedicated amp, so an lm386 will be a good idea in your case.

Another approach that will lead to very low harmonic distortion (-80dB or better can be done!) is the use of a small tungsten light bulb as a resistor in the feedback path. The bulb would go where your 5k pot is now. tungsten is a temperature-dependent resistor. Current flowing through the resistor will warm up the tungsten filament, raising its resistance, lowering the gain. This will lead to very low distortion, because the thermal capacity of the bulb stabilizes the amplitude over the course of many oscillations (large thermal time constant). The drawback is that the feedback path needs to be low resistance to allow for sufficient current in the bulb, so you could use one of those op amp buffers (BUF634, LT1010, OPA633, ...) or a discrete output stage. You'll also need large output swing, so for high frequencies the op amp may reach it's slew rate limit, especially the old 741 which has a slew rate of less than 1V/us.

Hi, here's what I remember about wien bridge oscillators. AFAIR, the two resistors and the two capacitors in the frequency-defining part need to match, so to make the frequency tunable you need a dual potentiometer or a dual adjustable capacitor, so this might explain the distortion.
Next is the negative feedback part that sets the gain. for a stable oscillation, the feedback needs to set the gain to exactly 3, which is impossible to achieve with resistors alone as they will drift and the oscillation will either die off or grow bigger until the output is limited by the rail voltages. That's why you insert a nonlinear element, in your case the diodes, to lower the gain when a certain amplitude is reached (when the diodes start conducting). But sadly, because of the nonlinear behavior, the output will contain harmonics, which might be why you see a more triangular shape. If you want to keep the approach using diodes, switch to 1N4148 diodes and put small resistors in series with the diodes. You'll have to experiment with the values, my guess is something between 10 and 200 Ohms.

To drive anything under about 500 Ohms, you should always consider using a dedicated amp, so an lm386 will be a good idea in your case.

Another approach that will lead to very low harmonic distortion (-80dB or better can be done!) is the use of a small tungsten light bulb as a resistor in the feedback path. The bulb would go where your 5k pot is now. tungsten is a temperature-dependent resistor. Current flowing through the resistor will warm up the tungsten filament, raising its resistance, lowering the gain. This will lead to very low distortion, because the thermal capacity of the bulb stabilizes the amplitude over the course of many oscillations (large thermal time constant). The drawback is that the feedback path needs to be low resistance to allow for sufficient current in the bulb, so you could use one of those op amp buffers (BUF634, LT1010, OPA633, ...) or a discrete output stage. You'll also need large output swing, so for high frequencies the op amp may reach it's slew rate limit, especially the old 741 which has a slew rate of less than 1V/us.

i DID it using OP07 op amp and it works well within the audio range

[...]But it starts to distort after 12 Khz. [...]waveform to be triangular more than sinusoidal

i DID it using OP07 op amp and it works well within the audio range

That's contradictory, and the OP is not what the schematic says. I can't help if you provide wrong or contradictory information.

But if i want to do it with LM386 what approach should i take.

I'm not sure what you're asking. The LM386 cannot go inside the feedback loop, so you just tack it on the output :confused: The datasheet has examples regarding the external parts you need.

That's contradictory, and the OP is not what the schematic says. I can't help if you provide wrong or contradictory information.

I'm not sure what you're asking. The LM386 cannot go inside the feedback loop, so you just tack it on the output :confused: The datasheet has examples regarding the external parts you need.

I wanted to know whether I could develop an oscillator using an LM386

I tried it but somehow it ket attenuating. Also since I do not have an incandescent lamp so I use diodes for amplitude stabiisation

I tried it but somehow it ket attenuating. Also since I do not have an incandescent lamp so I use diodes for amplitude stabiisation

I had built the oscillator and now I want to drive it using a speaker . So i Had used an emitter follower . BUt somehow the speaker is giving a very reduced voice output. How do i increase the power moreWIN_20160706_18_00_43_Pro.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back