Realtime Beat Detection and Audio Analysis + DMX Master Demonstration

Status
Not open for further replies.
bump on this one.. I'm looking on implementing a BPM detector which will give me the 4/4 counts from an audio input. Every beat will actually send out a message to syncronize a device.
Is this the right example? was never implemented in teensy libraries? can't find anything under examples

thanks!

bump on this one.. I'm looking on implementing a BPM detector which will give me the 4/4 counts from an audio input. Every beat will actually send out a message to syncronize a device.
Is this the right example? was never implemented in teensy libraries? can't find anything under examples

thanks!

Hi lorenzofattori,

I'm the author, but I don't think it would have ended up as an official example. This is just a project I did.

You could definitely reimplement this using my filtering and scaling algorithm for beat detection. However, there are a lot cleverer ways of doing it which use information like "the rhythm generally doesn't change much" to establish better BPM measurements. Mixxx (open source) uses this. I think RJ uses the SoundTouch or BPMDJ for this, both are open source libraries you might just try to port over to the Teensy. It's just C, so you might find it works better than you'd expect, but it would definitely take some effort.

Doing BPM measurements is one of those machine learning projects that's been heavily researched in the last fifteen years or so, I'd strongly encourage you to research the techniques some and see if you can find an existing implementation that will be much less naive than anything you or I could come up with!

If it's any help to anyone here is my take on Neltnerb's algorithm using a teensy3.2 and audio board using FFT object instead of the audio signal directly.
https://github.com/gibbedy/BeatDetector

I do a generated bpm signal but found a audio that gave poor beat detection looked better than poor generated bpm.

I really can't remember if what i ended up with resembles neltnerbs work however I started there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back