Knocked an SMD component off a T3.1, can I still use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Potato

Hey guys,

I got too rowdy and knocked off one of the SMD components from a Teensy 3.1 (circled in yellow):

T31.jpg

I took a moment to try and locate it in the schematic but then figured I may as well just ask here...can I use this board without repairing it? I haven't yet plugged it in to see if it works. I only need a few few pins, so if it's hobbled but still usable that's fine. To be clear, it's not shorted or anything there's just no longer a capacitor in the spot circled yellow

thanks, epot

On the top side (facing pin 19) is a trace that route AGND. If that trace is still connected, if the metal pad remained on the PCB and didn't come off with the part, then your Teensy should still work. That capacitor is for the 1.2V reference. It's only used with analogReference(INTERNAL) or when you use the audio library which configure the DAC to 1.2V range. Even though might still work, but they may have more analog noise.

If the trace was damaged, so AGND no longer connects through to the chip, your Teensy probably will not work for any analog stuff. It probably will still work for digital signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back