What are my options for simple low power wifi data logging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbedy

I'm assuming teensy 3.2/lc can be put into some low power sleep.
Edit: looking at duff's snooze v6_BETA

What can I use for wifi?

image.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
Usually wifi and low power aren't things that go together...

If any wifi modules supports low power, it'll be a special feature of that hardware, perhaps a command you send to it or a pin to change to tell it to sleep. I don't know of any with good low power features, but maybe someone else does?

Don't use a CC3000 :p . The module is notoriously unstable and often gets stuck in an endless loop.

After I get my LoraWan project up and running, I'm also gonna make a low power wifi application. I will use the ESP-12E in combination with a T3.2 or LC. In power down mode, this module uses just 0,5µA. There is also a lot of support for these ESP8266 based modules, and they're very cheap.

Be sure to post it here somewhere when you do. I'll take a look at the hardware you mention. Edit: a few on order. What did hobbyists do before eBay?
Thanks.

Last edited:
The ESP-8266 has Arduino support so you can program it to task itself and talk to Teensy about the results over serial. It can consume a fair amount of power when transmitting - it has some sleep modes. Would the Teensy be logging often and collecting data and radio it out infrequently? There is some chatter here and there on the forum - I have a github of startup steps I took . . .

I'm thinking I want teensy sleeping and waking up t take readings, and wifi sleeping and waking up very rarely to send data.

I think I will program the ESP with the Arduino IDE to act as a serial-to-wifi gateway, or look if there aren't already any sketches available (probably are). The goal is to send configuration parameters (SSID, password, remote server etc) from the Teensy through the UART to the ESP and save them there. Then put the ESP and Teensy in sleep mode. The Teensy wakes up from time to time to gather samples, and every once in a while it also wakes the ESP up and sends the data through the uart to the ESP, which posts it to the remote server. This is the standard approach to wireless datalogging, so I'm certain there will be a lot of examples out on the internet.

Here are the breadcrumbs I left . . . ArduinoTeensyESP8266

I used the Teensy as Proxy serial programmer for the ESP8266 . . . then putting on an OTA updatable sketch for the ESP8266 which lasts until bad code is uploaded - then I put in an E_Stop pin to take out added code to restore OTA.

Use of the 3MB Flash SPIFFS disk area on the ESP was Cool! Data can go there or FTP I/O and web pages served from there all stand alone from ESP.

My stuff got mostly usurped by the COOL server I found. Still uses my stuff but has great web support for FTP and settings and more form a web page.

Been months since updated or used.

Don't use a CC3000 :p . The module is notoriously unstable and often gets stuck in an endless loop.
Yeah... I used (or tried to use) that module on a project at my last job. I thought all the strange problems we had were something that I was doing wrong. Ended up wasting a lot of time with it.

I got a esp8266MOD and so far am pretty impressed.
1.jpg

$3AUD gets me more than I thought it would.

I was thinking of waking up module to send a few values to some cloud service or something, then go back to sleep.
Epyon: what "remote server" did you have in mind.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back