Adafruit now has Teensy -> Feather adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to dig up an old thread but on the Feather Tab of your shared spreadsheet shouldn't cells M5-19 be shifted to M6-20 and M5 say L0? I am about to wire up my extra teensy and feather/OLED set up and just double checking a couple things. As I understand it I should leave the L0 pin out on the OLED Feather and the Vbat pin out of the Teensy to Feather adapter. Then to use your solution to the reset issue jumper the empty pin hole L0 to L8 a.k.a. Teensy A0/14. Correct? Also the other pins across the end of the Teensy between 12 and 13 don't seem to go anywhere useful. Ok to just leave all 5 empty? Thanks!

You were right about M5-M19 being shifted to M6-M20, and M5 being L0. Sorry about that. I've corrected the spreadsheet.

Yes, you don't want to connect the OLED reset pin to the Teensy's and instead connect it to whatever pin you want to use for resetting the display in the initializer.

I believe Adafruit has changed the design of the Feather adapter, and the Vbat pin is no longer connected to the lipo battery, so unless you have old boards that pin won't matter.

You might want to connect at least two of the pins on the back of the Teensy.
  • You might to connect the DAT pin (pin A14 on the Teensy 3.2 and A12 on the Teensy LC), so that it brings out the first analog pin to the L04 pin. Note, this pin is 3.3v only, and it can only be used for analog input/output and not digital I/O. So far, Adafruit has not used this pin for DAT output (not all of the feather chips support DAT output). I sent them feedback that in the feather wing music maker it would have been a good idea to allow using this pin on the processors (feather M0 and Teensy 3.2/LC) that can do it;
  • You might want to connect the program pin, in case you want to use the program pin on other feather wings. Obviously on the OLED wing, it isn't a good idea. It also allows you to bring out the program to an external button.
  • The 3.3v and ground pin are redundant with the other pins that you connect.

You were right about M5-M19 being shifted to M6-M20, and M5 being L0. Sorry about that. I've corrected the spreadsheet.

Yes, you don't want to connect the OLED reset pin to the Teensy's and instead connect it to whatever pin you want to use for resetting the display in the initializer.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ok will just leave the pin out on the OLEDwing
I believe Adafruit has changed the design of the Feather adapter, and the Vbat pin is no longer connected to the lipo battery, so unless you have old boards that pin won't matter.
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Just checked and its not connected on mine
You might want to connect at least two of the pins on the back of the Teensy.
  • You might to connect the DAT pin (pin A14 on the Teensy 3.2 and A12 on the Teensy LC), so that it brings out the first analog pin to the L04 pin. Note, this pin is 3.3v only, and it can only be used for analog input/output and not digital I/O. So far, Adafruit has not used this pin for DAT output (not all of the feather chips support DAT output). I sent them feedback that in the feather wing music maker it would have been a good idea to allow using this pin on the processors (feather M0 and Teensy 3.2/LC) that can do it;
    >>>>>>>>>>> Its connected on my Teensy Feather adapter from the factory.
  • You might want to connect the program pin, in case you want to use the program pin on other feather wings. Obviously on the OLED wing, it isn't a good idea. It also allows you to bring out the program to an external button.
  • The 3.3v and ground pin are redundant with the other pins that you connect.

Thanks for all the answers and tips. Nice to see most (all?) of your feed back made it into a revision.

Last edited:
So far, Adafruit has not used this pin for DAT output (not all of the feather chips support DAT output). I sent them feedback that in the feather wing music maker it would have been a good idea to allow using this pin on the processors (feather M0 and Teensy 3.2/LC) that can do it;
>>>>>>>>>>> Its connected on my Teensy Feather adapter from the factory.
What I meant is Adafruit released a new music maker feather wing (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3357), and it would have been useful if in addition to playing sounds from the SD card or from Midi (connected to Serial1's TX pin), is if they had an option to also use the DAT pin to play music through the amplifier interface, like you can do with the prop shield.

Ok I understand now. I thought you ment on the adaptor board as the schematic I looked at had L04 hooked to a digital/pwm pin, I can't remember which at the moment. It looks like the schematic has been updated scince I first looked at it but still isn't the current version with th A14 change. All the connections were checked with an ohm meter.

Mine is coming tomorrow, so perhaps there is something in the shipments that indicates what to hook up. Adafruit normally provides hookup instructions, but I guess they assumed the average teensy use didn't need them, and that we should connect all of the pins.

Paul, did you have to cut the VIN-VUSB link to enable the li-po support? Somebody asked the same question in the Adafruit forums, but so far there is no answer. I would suspect that the circuit is such so that if there is any power on VUSB, that the battery goes into charging only mode, and normal power flows to VIN from the USB connection. If you remove the power from VUSB, then the li-po will connect the battery to VIN, and it will run at 3.7v. I can imagine it isn't set up for hot-pluging, and there might be a small period of time after removing the USB cord before the battery is enabled. It also would mean that you can't power the Teensy directly by applying power to VIN if a battery is connected.

I wonder how fast the li-po battery is charged. Normal rates are 100mA and 500mA. I would hope it charges at the 500mA rate. Since the tiny 100mA li-po batteries make no sense on the much bigger Teensy.

Likewise there is a solder jumper that appears to be connected to the program button. I assume this is so you can decide whether to enable the program function or not (since most of the feather wings seem to bring out the program button).
To cut or not to cut the jumper?Has this been resolved to cut it? I deleted a dupe post where I asked the same thing.

Last edited:
You do not have to cut the VUSB/VOUT solder jumper. The charger chip used in the feather adapter will not allow voltage from the battery to go to VOUT if there is current on VUSB.

Thanks. Looking at it I was worried it would if I didn't cut it and worried that if I did I couldn't see how it would get power from the USB to charge/run the teensy.

It's all soldered up and so is the OLED wing so there will be filing when I get home from work tonight.

Success its running ssd1306_128x32_i2c from Adafruit with zero changes. This means it started OK without putting anything in to show where I wired the OLED reset pin so the initialize/reset problem must have been fixed. I don't want to talk about the number of times I tried to get ssd1306_128x32_spi to work.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back