Arduino 1.6.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulStoffregen

Looks like Arduino.cc just released IDE version 1.6.10.

I'm downloading the code now. Will update Teensyduino later today...

If it's installed over the top of V1.65-r5, will I expect all the library problems when I tried to update previously to 1.6.6 and 1.6.7? I had to go back to V1.65-r5 to get anything to work.

I have no idea what "library problems" you speak of. If you want me to fix a problem involving newer Arduino versions, right now is the very best time to be more specific about the problem!

if I had a known upgrade problem - I would do a clean install to a new directory. Of course I always to a clean UNZIP as a parallel install.

The problems I saw were numerous compiler errors about missing libraries relating to core level operations. It seemed that the new version had relocated many items. I don't have specific details as that was back when V1.6 6 came out. V1.6.7 had the same problems and many users just backed up to their previous version, 1.6.5. However, the failed installs had to be completely wiped to get it to work again. That's why I hesitate updating as I don't want to go through that ordeal again.

What I have mainly run into is I believe the rules may have changed on which library is chosen when you have duplicates. That is if for example you have an updated library installed by Teensyduino, but by chance you have that same library in your (arduino sketch)/libraries folder, it will use your one out of your sketch folder...

At least now you get some warnings that it found duplicates...

Arduino 1.6.6 was the first version to use the new builder process with ctags, which turned out to have a ton of bugs with C++ syntax. Each version of Arduino since then has fixed quite a few of those problems, but it was quite a lot of unexpected trouble. That's why I'm keeping support for 1.6.5-r5, but I dropped 1.6.6 and I'll soon drop 1.6.7.

If you're willing to give 1.6.10 a try, perhaps in a virtual machine if you're worried about it corrupting your work, now's the time. Or very soon, when I get the first 1.30 beta posted. If you do run into more problems, this is the time to post highly detailed info. If they're things I can fix, I will. If not, we'll get them posted to Arduino's issue tracker. They've been pretty good about actually fixing the many issues people have reported. Sometimes it takes a couple revs. But detailed reporting of the problems from people like you, with real projects, is a critical part of this process. I hope you'll at least give 1.6.10 a try and take some time to post details if it doesn't work. Long-term, this really does lead to things improving.

FWIW, they were going to use another (likely buggy) tool called "coan" together with ctags. I and others talked them into instead using "gcc -E", which is unfortunately slower, but it is absolutely guaranteed to give the same preprocessing as gcc run in normal compile mode. I shudder to think what a mess 1.6.5 could have been if they'd used two different preprocessors to discover required library headers.

FWIW, they were going to use another (likely buggy) tool called "coan" together with ctags. I and others talked them into instead using "gcc -E", which is unfortunately slower, but it is absolutely guaranteed to give the same preprocessing as gcc run in normal compile mode. I shudder to think what a mess 1.6.5 could have been if they'd used two different preprocessors to discover required library headers.
They could have used gcc -H to output the include file names as the compiler does the normal compile, but then you have to use a tool to separate the -H output from any warnings.

Running V1.6.10.zip, TeensyDuino 1.3.0b1 and using Teensy 3.2. Tried both 72 MHz optimize speed and reduce size. Both attempts produce the same error message at the end of the upload. However, the board does execute it's setup() message to the monitor. Also using the latest stable TyQt. The same sketch in V1.6.5-r5 and TyQt uploads successfully with no error messages. The full verbose output is massive so included only the red part at the end. The full part contained a few deprecation warnings but no errors.

Code:
Uploading to board 'Shore Station' (Teensy 3.2)
Triggering board reboot
Firmware: LazarusShoreStationStrm23.ino.hex
Flash usage: 22 kiB (8.3%)
Uploading...
Sending reset command
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

PS
The Blink sketch produces the same error message but does run.

Last edited:
Tried V1.6.9.zip and TeensyDuino V1.2.9 and get the following error message. Had to go back to 1.6.5-r5 to upload without any errors. I wonder if the problems are in TyQt. The errors are in the final stages of the upload and the reset. I can live with the error message in V1.6.10 since the sketch appears to be running correctly.

Code:
Sketch uses 21,792 bytes (8%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262,144 bytes.
Global variables use 7,772 bytes (11%) of dynamic memory, leaving 57,764 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 65,536 bytes.
C:\Users\Root2\Downloads\Arduino\arduino-1.6.9-windows\arduino-1.6.9\hardware\teensy/../tools/teensy_post_compile -test -file=LazarusShoreStationStrm23.ino -path=C:\Users\Root2\AppData\Local\Temp\build35d5590c9e21101cfd0e702cb729720f.tmp -tools=C:\Users\Root2\Downloads\Arduino\arduino-1.6.9-windows\arduino-1.6.9\hardware\teensy/../tools -board=TEENSY31 -reboot 
Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to automatically reboot.
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.

TYQT issues should be reported on that thread. TYQT may be having trouble with newer builds or elements and that is separate from Teensy and PJRC. If you have done 'Integrate to Arduino' from TYQT that removed PJRC TeensyDuino from the process. Remove integration and then re-install TeensyDuino. I ran into trouble with that and assumed it was related to my hardware beta, but it may be a larger issue not yet resolved.

I removed the integration in V1.6.9 and it fixed the problem. I also did the same thing to V1.6.10 but it did not solve the problem and the TyQt window still came up. I'll try a later version of TyQt as the problem appears to be in that add-on.

Thanks for the tip.

If the IDE and all were closed and teensyDuino was reinstalled that should clear it up and TYQT should be out of the picture, you may need to redo the IDE too. I forwarded the last post to Koromix - this will be for his attention not Paul. When it works it is awesome - but something changed in the IDE or somewhere it seems breaking integration. Please link your post and add info on the TYQT thread. And confirm a clean install IDE and TeensyDuino for your proper Teensy operation for Paul to address.

That looks good and promising! Audio Lib compiling faster will be a real WIN! Also supposing some new Teensy someday had some outrageous FLASH space inviting the use of ever more libraries ;-)

I made the mistake of doing the display 'multi' VU Graph coding within an Audio sample very painful to fix the off by one errors - then modify and find new ones as I reduced the overdraw as bars did or didn't change. It was so nice when I stole a data sample of FFT to an offline array in a simpler sketch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back