"Flattening" the WIZ820io

Status
Not open for further replies.

muggins

Hi
I currently have a working Teensy 3.2 and WIZ820io however..
I have a requirement to build both into a very small enclosure and to design a brand new board to house both along with some other components. I will probably use the Teensy on it's own board but will need to flatten the ethernet adapter to it's component parts caps, transformer etc.
Can anyone give me any guidance on this. On the Wiznet website they provide a circuit diagram of the 820io (not easy to read) but strangely they also say "not recommended for new products".
Is there a better/simpler ethernet chip to use with Teensy?
thanks
John

There really aren't many ways to 'flatten' SMD boards with a RJ45 connector on it. The connector easily makes up multiple times the height of even the highest SMD component. The easiest way would be to take the reference design and replace the RJ45 with a low profile version. You can source those with most electronic component providers like Farnell, RS etc.

There really aren't many ways to 'flatten' SMD boards with a RJ45 connector on it. The connector easily makes up multiple times the height of even the highest SMD component. The easiest way would be to take the reference design and replace the RJ45 with a low profile version. You can source those with most electronic component providers like Farnell, RS etc.
Hi
thanks for the advice. When I say flatten I mean lay out all the network adapter components on a new pcb layout to include lots of other stuff. This would include the transformer but instead of RJ45 there will be a small header going to a socket on the enclosure. My question is should I use the 820io component structure or is there a newer/better/easier alternative?
thanks
John

The W5200 chip combines the MAC and PHY parts of IEEE 802.3 so you can use those parts without a problem, but the Magjack RJ45 connector contains the MDA (magnetics). That means you will have to provide discrete magnetics (transformer) on your PCB. That can be tricky if you're not really familiar with HF/RF design, and I have no idea how it will behave with a connector leading to something away from the PCB.

So yes, in theory you can use the existing component structure but add discrete magnetics. In practice, you'll have to find out how well it will perform.

Thank you both for the advice. I need to decide now whether to go for the newer chip W5500. Funny I can't find the "not recommended for new product" comment relating to the 820io on the Wiznet site. They must have removed it. If I go for the W5500 with associated components and transformer is there likely to be any issues with the "Teensy Ethernet library"
thanks
John

The W5200 probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon, just like the by all standards outdated W5100. That being said, the W5500 is clearly the superior chip to use. You can search this forum for some discussions on this topic. The W5100/52000 seem to be older parallel chips where the serial SPI interface has been 'hacked' into. But the pinout is pretty much the same (power circuitry is a little different tho), so the choice is yours.

Library support is already there with Adafruits' Ethernet2 lib or the Seeed Studio lib. There is also some talk about supporting the W5500 in one of the upcoming revisions of the Ethernet lib bundled with Teensyduino.

If you are planning to make these boards for some time it might be wise... but if you're only making a few now the older chip is tested with teensy.

Re magnetics... I'm pretty sure you could use a transformer package like the H1102NLT; but to be sure the details for use with 5200 chip are on page 82 of the data sheet.

Hi
I have decided to go with the Teensy 3.2 board as is and add the W5500 with associated components to my own design board. I would really appreciate some guidance. The W550io schematic shows the 5500 chip as well as 2 other ics. I am confused because other schematics I have come across are simpler. I wonder how minimalistic I can make the ethernet section. Also having drawn up my schematic with it's associated 30 odd capacitors and resistors I don't have the skills to generate an Eagle layout.
Again I am seeking guidance.
Any help would be fantastic.
thanks
John

The W550io contains, next to the W5500, an magnetics package (in later revisions this seems to be replaced by a Magjack), an SPI MUX and a microcontroller containing some proprietary Wiznet firmware. I haven't examined the W550io/W5500 in detail that much, but I suspect the the micro contains some code that flashes a MAC and IP configuration into the W5500 on power-up.

I'm not sure what you want to do exactly. If you don't have much experience with PCB layout and production, I think your best option is to stick to these off the shelve parts and find some way to stack a Teensy on a Wiznet board. That won't increase your total assembly height.

Hi
Thanks for that. The W820io does not include these 2 extra components which confuses me. I have a prototype board made which currently houses the T3.2 and a W820io as well as all my other components. Problem is that the enclosure is very small and I don't want the magjack inside the casing as I plan to use an external industrial ethernet connector. The schematic for the W5500 that you refer to above in post#5 looks like what I want to achieve. (It doesn't have the 2 extra ICs) I have asked Wiznet technical if they could supply a basic board without Magjack but got no response.
John

Read the Wiznet wiki about the W550io: http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=products:wiz550io:start

It has a unique real MAC address and configures the network setting automatically. When powered on, WIZ550io initializes itself … with embedded real MAC and sets the default IP address (192.168.1.2) and it can be pinged. Therefore, users are not required to write MAC and network information like IP address, Subnet mask and Gateway address.
This is what those two extra chips are for: to flash a MAC and IP configuration into the W5500 so users have to do even less configuration. You don't need those chips if you use a library that does the configuration for you, like Adafruits Ethernet2 library.

If you don't need a lot of units you could try removing the Magjack from a W820io with a heat gun and some desoldering help.

Thank you I'm clearer on that now. I will experiment with dissecting the W820io and getting a transformer package. Ultimately though I will be producing quite a lot of these and will need to lay out all the components on my own PCB and probably going with W5500. I have some experience with Eagle schematics and layout but will struggle with this higher density stuff.
thanks again
John

If you just implement the reference schematic you will probably be alright, it's not that dense. Think you're biggest problem will be soldering a 48 pin LFQP ;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back