3.6 Kickstarter, I'm in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my Teensy 3.6 - great work! Congratulations on being one of the rare Kickstarter projects that ships earlier than the estimated shipping date. I'm at the point now where if PJRC puts up a Kickstarter campaign I back it before even watching the video or knowing what it is. I also like supporting (very) local Sherwood businesses. Can't wait to use my Teensy 3.6!

USPS tracking said mine should have been here today, but it also says the last thing that happened is it arrived at the USPS origin facility in PORTLAND, OR on the 27th. They don't update as much as I would like, I've gotten things that said they were still at the origin facility before. I'm still hoping for tomorrow.:(

I have been shipping circuit boards all over the world via USPS for 10 years. Their tracking system sucks, and sometimes things seem to check into a black hole for a few days, but they rarely lose a small envelope. I have seen examples of weirdness, most of them involved Los Angeles, and one went through Canadian customs 3 times on 3 consecutive days, but I think 3 lost boards out of maybe 800 over ten years isn't bad. My Teensys got to Portland on the 28th. The next stop was Warrendale PA (the Pittsburgh hub) at 1:14 AM on the 29th, and into my mailbox 70 miles west at 9:45 AM the same day, via a post office 3 miles away. I have already put pins on a T3.6 and tried it....for no particular reason, then put the early reward T3.6 back in the breadboard. I Need to try a 3.5 just to see what happens. The T3.2 was running 80 to 90% processor loading using the audio library. The T3.6 bounces between 26 and 28% with the same code.

USPS tracking said mine should have been here today, but it also says the last thing that happened is it arrived at the USPS origin facility in PORTLAND, OR on the 27th. They don't update as much as I would like, I've gotten things that said they were still at the origin facility before. I'm still hoping for tomorrow.:(

Same here, but since I have packages delivered to work, I'll have to wait until Monday.

The T36 arrived here in Florida after a one day side trip through Sarasota. It's now blinking happily. Loaded a sketch intended for the T32 that uses the dual synced ADC feature. Don't know if it actually runs but compile and upload had no trouble. Noticed that the final upload needs the TyQt Reboot button to complete, but that's OK.

Next step is to order the OV5642 camera and start designing my hi-res surveillance system.

Question, what is the recommended version for Teensyduino and TyQt? My IDE is the portable version of 1.6.11.

If you have TYQT active but not integrated then TeensyLoader may be active and trying to program, TYQT will interfere as it has the USB connected unless you click the 'Serial' button to free the device. In this case having to use TYQT reboot is normal as it allows Teensy.exe to see and program the device.

If TYQT is 'Tools / Integrated' then Teensy.exe should be closed and TYQT will work perfectly from the IDE as I have seen it.

On this machine I have TYQT 0.7.5-188, but on my other machine I have TYQT 0.7.5-204 and both work. Current version here: https://bintray.com/package/files/koromix/ty/ty is TyQt-0.7.5-210-g00e62b8-win64 and I just downloaded it. Koromix hasn't posted notes of any critical fixes so I had not been bothering to keep up to the newest as I have not had issues.

I'm using IDE 1.6.9 and 1.6.11 and 1.6.12 with TeensyDuino 1.31b1 and the TYQT as noted above. I've been on the beta and have been using TYQT many weeks as primary HEX loader to my T_3.6's and T_3.5 as soon as Koromix got it working and corrected when I found issues.

Thanks for the info. I thought I had TyQt integrated but I'll do it again to be sure.

The new T36 is going to be a real powerhouse, thank you Paul and crew.

TYQT can pop up an upload dialog that can get hidden? Also TYQT can get confused with T_3.6 speeds over 120 where the USB does not report the serial number. It has been working for me, maybe better since I have the a fix for the serial number reporting. Also Teensy.exe must not be running.

Something strange is going on. I re-integrated TyQt V0.7.6 to IDE 1.6.11, which may be wrong, and now it doesn't work. It's stuck in HalfKay with the following error message.

Code:
Uploading to board '0-Teensy' (Teensy)
Triggering board reboot
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
Cannot reboot '0-Teensy' in this mode
The TyQt Reset button is grayed out and the board program button runs the cycle again but stops for the same reason. If I un-integrate, but still have TyQt running then either the board button or Ty Reset works. They call HalfKay and after about one second, all is running.

Did you have the IDE closed during integration and then restart it? If you put the TYQT update in the same place I'm not sure if it ever needs to be re-integrated?

Perhaps close everything in DE-integrate TYQT - re-install TD_1.31b1 - that should restore things - then run TeensyDuino once to see it work - with all closed then integrate TYQT? I'm not sure how many things are interrelated and involved . . .

TYQT has a RESET feature too - that may clear away issues across versions if stuff was added to it?

Worst case would be start with a fresh IDE UNZIP and go forward from there? Something is confused that I haven't seen.

If you get stuck or more details - post on the TYQT thread for Koromix to see it.

I'll use your suggestions and a fresh start tomorrow with IDE 1.6.12, TD_1.31b1, and Ty TyQt-0.7.5-210-g00e62b8l. I was likely using the wrong sequence and conflicting programs still open.

Just received my 3.6 today in the mail. This wasn't my first kickstarter, but it has definitely been one of the best run that I've seen. Thanks for putting all this work into making it for us!

TyQt problem solved. Here's the sequence I used.

1. Download Arduino IDE V1.6.12 portable ZIP version and unpack into folder of your choice. Execute only to see that it works then close app.

2. Download and install Teensyduino V1.31beta1. Select IDE folder as target. Test with the Blink sketch then close app.

3. Download and install TyQt-0.7.5-210-g00e62b8-win32.msi.

4. Run TyQt and integrate using IDE folder as target.

5. Run IDE, load sketch, verify, and upload. Last step will start TyQt. Select T36 board. Upload and reset will occur.

Mine showed up today. I'm eager to get started with it but have to wait till I can take it to work and solder in some headers. I'm not sure which kind I wan't to use. 0.025 square posts work good in regular IC sockets? I wish I had ordered some stacking headers from somebody.

I did order some of these to drive stuff. Sot 23 power mosfets on little 3 pin breakout boards. https://www.tindie.com/products/DrAzzy/simple-sot-23-mosfet-six-pack-logic-level/

Header Orientation
I usually use male header pins aiming down so that the board can be plugged into a solderless proto. However, I've had some trouble recently pushing them into the sockets using the smaller Nanos. What has the experience been with the T36 on header type? I'm tempted to use female headers aiming up like the Mega but without mounting holes that could create other problems.

One possibility is to put a few male/down pins in each of the four corners and the remainder female/up.

Note, the inner 5 pin header for the high speed USB header on the 3.6 and the 2 additional analog input pins on the 3.5 is not aligned on 0.1" boundary, and so those pins will not fit in a standard perfboard or breadboard.

On my beta 3.6 unit (the production 3.6's are enroute), I took 40 pin stacking female headers (http://www.dipmicro.com/store/HDR40X1FL) that I cut down to 24 pins (pull out the 25th pin with pliers, use diagonal cutters to cut through the headers, and use a rotary tool to smooth down the edges). For the 3 sets on inner pins, I took standard 2 5 pin female headers and 1 6 pin female header and soldered them in (on the set for Vusb, Aref, A10, A11, you will need to pull out one pin of the 6 pin header).

FrankB has designed a Flexiboard to bring out the pins to the side: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/36869-T3-x-Flexiboard(-).

One problem is many of the header pins are bigger than some breadboard holes, and pushing a teensy can damage the breadboard. I've seen this product that is meant to provide smaller pins, but I don't have any experience with it: https://www.tindie.com/products/OSHChip/flip-pins-for-teensy-35-or-36-4-sets/

Last edited:
One of the problems I've seen is difficulty plugging a Pro Mini and Nano into solderless boards due to the pin ends not being cut with enough bevel. These are likely cheap imports from that other place. With your stacking headers, do you have difficulty plugging the T36 into the proto, and more important, getting it out.

At this point, I'm thinking about using three pin stacking headers at both USB corners, two pin stacking headers at the SD corners, and standard female in all others. The reason for the three and two is the nature of the signals at those four corners.

It is snug in the two breadboards I've used, so I generally use a flat screwdriver to gently lever each end up. On those breadboards, I have the same issue with other Teensy's that use the normal male headers (including Teensy's that I ordered from PJRC with pins soldered onto the board). Generally on perfboards, perma-proto boards, I solder in normal female headers to mount the Teensy on, either standard height headers, or the small height headers that Adafruit sells (there you have to clip off the ends of the stacking header).

CPU_socket.jpgNewCPU_3_x.jpgTeensy3_6_x.jpg
0.025 square posts work good in regular IC sockets?

.025 posts will not fit into most IC sockets, if they do, they generally crack the plastic base. I use the typical female headers designed for .025 pins, cut them to size, then sandpaper them to allow close stacking. To cut down a long header I cut through the next socket hole beyond the last one I need (29th pin for a T3.2) with an old pair of wire cutters, trim up the rough edges, then sandpaper where necessary. I was using the 40 pin sockets from Mouser, but they are over $2 each, so I got some cheap ones from Amazon and they seem to work just as good.

I made a socket that fits a T3.2 or a T3.6 and wired it up so that either board works in my project. It uses the SMD pads as well as the through hole pads since I need the I/O. Removing a T3.6 takes some patience, as it must be pried up bit by bit from either end and the middle. Flexing a multi layer SMD board can ruin it, so care is needed, especially the first time it is removed. I have swapped between the T3.2 and the T3.6 several times.....until the software grew complex enough to choke the T3.2.

Must be quite a project. The 3.2 was prettt beefy. I am going to have to just use a solderless breadboard for a while until I can think of something else to buy besides headers. I'm just work on seeing if I can make a nimh/nicad battery mah checker/charger with a graph for my first project. I picked up a high side current sensor i2c and a few odds and ends to get me started. So with the PJRC display and that I will break the ice on i2c and spi. It should be fun.

Must be quite a project.

It's the music synthesizer discussed in the "beginners luck and madness" thread. It started out as my perf board implementation of the hardware used in the tutorials for the audio library. After finishing the tutorials I started adding more pots, then 3 rotary encoders and a pair of jacks for Control Voltage and Gate inputs from an Akai MAX49 keyboard. I wrote code for a virtual analog music synthesizer, but eventually wanted more knobs. The next step was a new board with more knobs.....then another, which is now glued to the first to create the synth in the other thread. As the synth grew from 15 knobs to 53 and the code grew to over 1000 lines, the T3.2 started kitting the wall (90% CPU usage on the audio library), and I had no more I/O ports left. Now that the T3.6 has moved in the same code runs around 28% CPU usage, and I have more I/O to connect stuff to. Here are 2 pictures of the first breadboard. The new one can be seen in the "madness" thread. AnalogSynthBreadboard_x.jpgAnalogSynthBreadboard_2_x.jpg

Last edited:
I've got my 3.6 just today! Yes, I'm in Europe. The shipment was a little slow, but it was cheap, so it was perfectly ok. And for a Kickstarter project, very very good.

Haven't soldered anything to it yet, so after the blinking led, I just tested the Micro SD interface. Using TeensyDuino 1.30, which doesn't include support for the new SDIO. Had to get the SdFat Beta library (see: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/36737-Try-SdFat-forTeensy-3-5-3-6?p=114355&viewfull=1#post114355 )
It works!

I see that Paul hasn't have the time to put any documentation about 3.5 and 3.6 on pjrc.com yet? That's ok. Cannot do everything at once. He's probably working on the software side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back