3.6 Kickstarter, I'm in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaQue

My first Kickstarter buy. My first teensy too ! Keep up the great work and innovation. Maybe I will actually build stuff with this instead of just starring at a STM32 pcb and wondering how to get started.

Congrats! I have various Teensy 3.0 and 3.2s already. They are GREAT little boards! I ordered 2 3.6s and a 3.5 from the kickstarter. Cant wait to get em!

- George

Yup, great news to wake up to. Thanks Paul.

Does mean I'm going to have to build another version of the Mitochondrion glow staff. The goal for this one will be LED music visualisation as well as the POV images.

i noticed that there is a reward level that features an ethernet shield...
Does anyone know if/how is different from the existing shield? is the current one at all compatible? I saw Paul posted a screenshot of an ethernet breakout that he built during the development cycle - not sure if this implies that the "ethernet shield" is different.

Im only asking as a majority of my work uses it, and I would want one around the time im getting my new 3.5/6..

thanks!

_JF

I would imagine the ethernet shield is completely new, since one of the features of the 3.6 board is 100Mhz ethernet support. You can see a picture of the prototype of the ethernet shield at the kickstarter campaign page. I can't speak for PJRC, but I imagine the shield will be sold at PJRC closer to the ship date of the 3.6.

The ethernet shield featured in the Kickstarter is pretty much the same one that has been used during beta testing of the K66. The ones that have been used in the beta testing as well as the ones to be included in the Kickstarter rewards are all hand soldered by Soldering Goddess Erin, so we aren't quite ready to make it available on a larger scale.

Great, i'll scoope up few 3.5's and 3.6's when I get back home from Taiwan. Already 788% and not even day has passed!

Already 788% and not even day has passed!

We intentionally set the goal low, so we wouldn't spend much time stressing about whether it'd be reached.

The main thing I'm watching is the number of backers. Teensy 3.0 in 2012 had 1567 backers, for comparison. I'm hoping we get to at least that many again. ;)

I'm also anxiously keeping an eye on the number for the highest 2 rewards. That's the number of ethernet shields we'll need to hand solder, where "we" will most be Erin, the Goddess of Soldering. If it gets to be a lot more, maybe we'll tag-team it, where I do the QFN ground pad (really not fun with a preheater and SMT air station) and she can get all the rest of the parts.

i noticed that there is a reward level that features an ethernet shield...
Does anyone know if/how is different from the existing shield?

The normal WIZ820io ethernet works great. Pin connections are the same as Teensy 3.2. If you have a project coming up, that's probably the best path to take.

This new ethernet is at a very early stage of development. It offers much better performance, but there isn't much software support yet. These messages are the place to start reading on the beta test thread, if you're curious about the finer details.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/34808-K66-Beta-Test?p=108750&viewfull=1#post108750

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/34808-K66-Beta-Test?p=109161&viewfull=1#post109161

Paul, Robin, I'm so pleased to see your success! Congratulations on the results of your hard work!

My congratulations as well. As soon as I saw this thread this morning I opted in as well. My first Kickstarter support too.

Good luck, may you have a lot of soldering to do! Even if it is a pain.

Hi.

Not sure if this is my first post on this forum. But its definitely my first pledge on kickstarter. Really looking forward to test the T3.5/6 float math capability.

Really awesome project.

In terms of the hardware floating point support, you might want to start changing your code now to do calculations in single precision (float) rather than double precision (double).

In particular:
  • Change all double declarations to float;
  • If you call any math functions like sin, cos, sqrt, change to use the single precision version, which usually has a "f" suffix. I.e. change sin to sinf, cos to cosf, sqrt to sqrtf;
  • Optionally change all floating point constants to have a "f" suffix. Now, within a Teensy setting, Paul has set the switch that says by default floating point constants are single precision, and not double precision, so you don't have to do this, but it is a good habit to get into. This is particularly true if you might share your code with people using other systems.

You can do the changes now, instead of waiting for the 3.5/3.6 to arrive, and it should work (note, you will need to change all the types at once).

Thanks for the heads up! I was aware about the double/single precision issue but I didn't know about the "f" suffix. Will try the changes on my T3.1 soon.

Well, we've blown past the original Teensy 3.0 funding amount ($70,874 for Teensy 3.0, $74,089 for Teensy 3.6/3.5 as I post this), but we still need to bring up the number of individual backers (1,572 vs. 1,196).

I'm in. Not sure yet what I'll use them for. But I'm sure I will find something!

If there is one thing I'd like to see, it's a schematic... Because I'd love to know which pins you are breaking out for external debugging and how to disable the bootloader chip so I can add that info to eagle library.

No worries though- you are more than busy...

ps: thought of my first use: intercept wel logger info, manipulate it, send it via Ethernet to wel server. Haha!

Last edited:
We intentionally set the goal low, so we wouldn't spend much time stressing about whether it'd be reached.

The main thing I'm watching is the number of backers. Teensy 3.0 in 2012 had 1567 backers, for comparison. I'm hoping we get to at least that many again. ;)

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/34808-K66-Beta-Test?p=108750&viewfull=1#post108750

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/34808-K66-Beta-Test?p=109161&viewfull=1#post109161

It's been up what 3 ... 4 days?

1,421 backers
$87,787 pledged of $5,000 goal
17 days to go

I'm pretty sure you're going to beat that. :D Looks like a winner.

I also pledged $50 for a 3.5 / 3.6 combo. However, it would have been so much nicer if a Teensy T-shirt was included in the deal.

I also pledged $50 for a 3.5 / 3.6 combo. However, it would have been so much nicer if a Teensy T-shirt was included in the deal.

I somehow felt this was too childish to really request, but yeah, I'd love a T-Shirt as well :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back