3.6 Kickstarter, I'm in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't effect me either way but I sure am pulling for a double and double over the 3.0. It's going to be close.

May just make it with 134 new backers in the past 23'ish hours at 2,994 versus 1,572 on T_3.0only leaves 150 to go in 24 hours.

The number of boards is 4.76% over double of T_3.0's 2,853 with 3,981 T_3.6's and 2,206 T_3.5's coming up to 6,187 (or 89.9% of the 6,883 offered)

**if my XL rows/columns are done right

3000ksk66k64.png

Last edited:
Looks like we'll soon pass the 3144 backers mark, with just hours to go.

For me on a personal level, twice as many backers as 4 years ago is most meaningful of thresholds. :)

Congratulations Paul!

When you launched the Kickstarter, where did you think that it would wind up?

My main benchmark was the 1572 backers from the first Teensy 3.0 campaign, and an average of 2 pieces per backer. You can see from the reward limits that we hit about 95% of the best case scenario.

Now the big question is whether we can make my best case scenario plan for quickly shipping the rewards actually happen....

I'm excited about getting a PCBA soldered by real Goddess! I'm not sure if I should enshrine it or put it in use :p

Last edited:
My main benchmark was the 1572 backers from the first Teensy 3.0 campaign, and an average of 2 pieces per backer. You can see from the reward limits that we hit about 95% of the best case scenario.

Now the big question is whether we can make my best case scenario plan for quickly shipping the rewards actually happen....

If you don't make best case for Fast shipping - it won't any apparent lack of planning and effort on PJRC's part!

Seeing the build and beta testing of the boards work so well. Great that the PCB CM willing to schedule piecemeal building as you get the boards - which may stress them - but give you a chance to test and package on a better pace.

My XL final tally from Reward level math:
2,344 Teensy 3.5's
4,189 Teensy 3.6's
---
6,533 Total KS Teensys

With 3,173 KS backers buying 94.97% of the boards you knew you could make.

Gives averages of 2.058934 boards per backer versus 1.895378 for Teensy 3.0 KS

This Kickstart was very well done. Full disclosure about progress and very responsive to questions. I'd bet a lot of people would wait until the get the Kickstarter check cleared to place component orders. You got PCBs and parts in house before the Kickstarter even ended.

This Kickstart was very well done. Full disclosure about progress and very responsive to questions. I'd bet a lot of people would wait until the get the Kickstarter check cleared to place component orders. You got PCBs and parts in house before the Kickstarter even ended.

As Paul mentioned in one of his posts, because he has been around for a while and dealt with suppliers, etc. he now has access to things like net-30 billing that newcomers might not have.

I think in the Pine64 experience, one of the creators, had to re-mortgage his house because of cash-flow issues (I stopped caring about Pine64 some time ago even though I backed them, because it seemed one train wreck after another, so I haven't seen the latest posts). Of course, Paul also put in limits that would not allow the sale of more units than they could make in the September/October timeframe.

Agh! I forgot to sign up for this, forgot it closed on the 8th! I have a senior project coming up that's perfect for this! FUUUU!!

I'm sure there are going to be more people that would've pledged for this that will later complain. Guess I'll have to resort to a 3.2 or dual 3.2's depending on the complexity of the signal processing I am doing. :/ Oh well, not the end of the world. I'll wait 'til the libraries get polished. Here I was thinking I'd buy both the 3.5 and 3.6 this weekend...

But very well done kickstarter. Well documented and consistent updates on where things are at. Hope this becomes a regular seller like the 3.2. I love the 3.2. it blows the other Arduino boards out of the water.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've heard from several people who really wanted to get one, but missed the Kickstarter deadline. Unfortunately, Kickstarter holds all the money for 2 weeks and then the banks add a few days delay, so we really had to set the deadline on the 7th.

Soon I'll start product pages for both boards, which will effectively be pre-order to ship soon after we complete shipping all the Kickstarter rewards.

I'm a bit confused by the kickstarter news bits. PRJC does not actually hand-solder all the new 3.5 and 3.6 boards, right?

Those notes are the LIMITED QUANTITY Ethernet Proto boards.

Correct on the Teensys - they are not solder-able by hand with the pins on the MCU.

I'm one of the ones who missed the initial campaign, I started a new job a few months ago and has been a real distraction, otherwise I was on these forums nearly every day until then! Glad to have pre-ordered one of each though to have a play. Seriously can't wait! I've got a massive project that uses 3 x teensy's - primarily to spread the sketch across the 3 teensys, the 3.6 will mean I only need one single teensy to hold my entire program, it is literally the answer to all my prayers!

Just wanted to share, and to say again what a great job Paul has done over the years, particularly the instant, consistent support and responses to so many queries by so many people in so many places, I have to commend you Paul for your dedication, absolutely deserved! :) great job, can't wait for mine to arrive!

Cheers

Andy

I'm a bit confused by the kickstarter news bits. PRJC does not actually hand-solder all the new 3.5 and 3.6 boards, right?

No, we do not hand solder the Teensy 3.5 and Teensy 3.6 production boards.

We did hand solder the early beta boards. They were a different form factor than the final production boards, which cannot be hand soldered.

The ethernet boards are not a stock item for us. A very small batch was hand soldered specifically for this Kickstarter.

I have to say this Kickstarter kicked ass. Contrast it with one I missed out on, thankfully, from another creator. They launched in January 2015 with rewards slated for March 2015. As of this last week they now have the pcbs finally at the contract manufacture. A year and a half late. Paul, Robin, and the gang thank you for showing how it should be done.

I will agree with that. I have never even looked at Kickstarter before, and only learned about Teensy early this year by accident. I have been using ChipKits so far. I have been a Microchip guy since the PIC16C54, despite working for Motorola / Freescale for 41 years.

I got some T3.2's and audio shields and started designing a music synthesizer. It didn't take too long before I ran out of processing power and I/O. Then the 3.6 beta happened.....this could be the ticket. I was anxious and sitting by the computer logged into KS when it went live.....how anxious.....Backer number R0002 kinda anxious.

I made a breadboard capable of accepting a T3.2 or a T3.6, plugged in a 3.2 and debugged everything. On the day before I left on a 2800 mile road trip the early reward T3.6 arrived. I plugged it in and within an hour the sweet sounds of success were flowing, so I packed it all up and headed south. You get weird looks sitting out on the beach at sunset with a laptop, a box covered with knobs, and a pair of speakers making some really strange sounds! Ditto, from the people next to us in one of the hotels who thought that aliens had landed.

I got an email from PJRC with a tracking number on the day I returned. It stated that more Teensys were on the way. Delivery date Monday Oct. 3. We live in rural West Virginia on a dirt road, and our mail is delivered by a private contractor in her own car. There are days where she doesn't even come down the road, especially in winter.....Imagine my surprise to find a box with 9 more Teensys in it this morning.

I don't need to worry about bricking my only board now, reflashing the bootloader in a hotel room with a crummy W10 laptop scared the bleep out of me. I can now make a bigger and badder breadboard, and maybe a real PCB.....wonder if a T3.5 will work in it, guess there's only one way to find out.

Thanks again for the heroic effort to bring a cool little board to those of us who like to play with such things, and not keep us waiting around for a board that never materializes, or doesn't work.

Last edited:
I'm also one of the 19% since I've always watched Kickstarter but never pledged since I'm always a bit suspicious if the project really works out. As a Teensy 3.1, 3.2 and LC user however, I was pretty sure, that this one would.

I found it really great to see the project evolve and would like to thank Paul and the team for the (almost daily) updates which were always a good read after a long day (although I guess your days were longer) and of course for an outstanding embedded platform. I'm really looking forward to examining my new Teensy boards (although I don't know what to use them for at all yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back