3.6 Kickstarter, I'm in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry that i do the question here.
In teensy 3.6 will be published the schematic or will be sold only as ready board;

Thanks.

I bought a Teensy 3.2 last week and was so impressed with it I have gone and supported the Kickstarter for a pair of the new boards!

Great device! :)

Thanos, am not part of PJRC but most likely guess is that there will be a new addition to this page:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/schematic.html
And the sale of the complete modules as shown on the kickstarter page.

If you wanted to design your own you need a special bootloader IC, akin to this used in the 3.2/LC
https://www.pjrc.com/store/ic_mkl02.html
And design your own board based on the schematic, as per the assorted threads on 'custom teensy'

I was curious, so I counted the number of backers (not the number of Teensy's pledged, but # of backers). As of roughly 10pm EDT (US) on August 29, it stood at:

• 310 backers wanted only Teensy 3.5's;
  • 839 backers wanted only Teensy 3.6's (I'm currently in this category for 2 Teensy 3.6's);
  • 1,091 backers wanted a mixture of Teensy 3.5 and 3.6's;
  • 105 of the combo backers were wanting the mega packs (some of these include the hand soldered ethernet shield which may affect why people choose that reward);
  • 766 backers wanted only one Teensy, while 1,474 wanted multiple Teensies;
  • I would say soldering goddess Erin will probably be busy, and I imagine it probably signals that there is demand for a regular ethernet product shield specifically for the 3.6/3.5;
  • From some of the comments, a USB host shield would also be desired (ala comment #69 from Jack Jansen).

For some reason I made spreadsheet tracking most daily sums . . . near end of day 29 Aug :: 1756 T_3.5's and 3079 T_3.6's set to ship, $8,200 in shipping fees for 2,255 backers (though the Pledges add up to only 2,231 - perhaps changing rewards double counts?) Almost a third of the pledge $'s are for those buying one of each - more than the amount pledged for the next three rewards combined {one 3.6, two 3.6's or one 3.5 and 2 3.6's}.

Also interesting is this KS COMMUNITY LINK - it shows the geographic distribution of KS backers:

Where Backers Come From Top Cities
London United Kingdom 63 backers
Sydney Australia 40 backers
San Francisco United States 38 backers
Portland United States 35 backers
Melbourne Australia 31 backers
Seattle United States 28 backers
Los Angeles United States 23 backers
San Jose United States 23 backers
New York United States 18 backers
Toronto Canada 17 backers

Where Backers Come From Top Countries
United States 1,094 backers
United Kingdom 198 backers
Germany 152 backers
Australia 123 backers
Canada 123 backers
France 50 backers
Netherlands 49 backers
Sweden 43 backers
Switzerland 36 backers
Austria 30 backers

Yeah, we're going to be really busy shipping all these Kickstarter rewards!

One thing to remember is Kickstarter holds all the funds for 2 weeks, even though they call the project "funded", when it ends 1 minute before midnight on its end date. So if you look at a calendar, that seems to mean they'll transfer the funds on Sept 22nd. Then the banks take a few more days to clear the transaction. In all likelihood, PJRC probably gets the funds somewhere between Sept 26 to 28.

My personal goal is to ship them all as fast as possible.

For some reason I made spreadsheet tracking most daily sums . . .

Robin made a spreadsheet too, but I don't know if she's tracking history or just most recent data.

My biggest concern is getting over-committed, beyond the number of chips and other parts we're actually able to get for this first production run. That's why every reward level has limits. Admittedly, those limits were set somewhat conservatively, mostly to allow stock for distributors after the rewards ship. Lately the Kickstarter seems to be slowing down, so it seems unlikely it'll fully sell out. But if somehow it gets much more publicity and a lot more backers appear, I will let it completely sell out. We might increase those limits slightly, but I feel very strongly about committing beyond our ability to actually deliver quickly.

I would say soldering goddess Erin will probably be busy, and I imagine it probably signals that there is demand for a regular ethernet product shield specifically for the 3.6/3.5;

Yes. I'm not sure how I feel about turning it into a regular product before the software is at a more usable state. Hopefully I've made the early state of software development clear to backers?

From some of the comments, a USB host shield would also be desired (ala comment #69 from Jack Jansen).

All you need is a common USB2 cable, the same as used in PCs between the motherboard and front panel. Well, also a 5 pin header.

Robin ordered a batch of these cables. We've got only about 20 now. So far it's looking like they're delayed until December. But eventually we'll have this as a regular product.

Of course, pretty much any motherboard-to-panel USB cable from a PC should work. They all use the same 5 pin header.

Yeah, we're going to be really busy shipping all these Kickstarter rewards!

My personal goal is to ship them all as fast as possible.

My biggest concern is getting over-committed, beyond the number of chips and other parts we're actually able to get for this first production run. That's why every reward level has limits. Admittedly, those limits were set somewhat conservatively, mostly to allow stock for distributors after the rewards ship. Lately the Kickstarter seems to be slowing down, so it seems unlikely it'll fully sell out. But if somehow it gets much more publicity and a lot more backers appear, I will let it completely sell out. We might increase those limits slightly, but I feel very strongly about committing beyond our ability to actually deliver quickly.

I think that is great. The last kickstarter product I supported was the UP board. I actually was not as kickstarter but as one who ordered from their store the week it looked like they were shipping. Then the date kept slipping.... I finally received it 4 months later.

So again I really appreciate companies like yours!

I'm hoping you hit 2x the original Teensy goal you were hoping to match and blew right past.

I think all KS campaigns go through a slump mid-campaign, as you have the initial backers front loading things, and then you have people waiting until the last minute to decide. In most KS campaigns, I don't tend to pledge until the last day or two, so I have a better idea of how much money I have available to pledge.

Yours might be the first campaign I've been involved in that actually limits things. Most campaigns (like pine64) seem to think that they can scale the manufacturing simply (mostly those who have no experience in shipping large numbers of product), and then you have to whinning, back-biting, etc. afterwards when it becomes apparent that the developers are out of their depth (and occasionally, it is the whole campaign was a sham). I appreciate the Teensy approach.

Yes. I'm not sure how I feel about turning it into a regular product before the software is at a more usable state. Hopefully I've made the early state of software development clear to backers?

Yeah, I assumed there would not be a regular product until it is debugged with the hand soldered shield (and likely the few people capable of debugging ethernet support probably are already on the beta list or signed up for the developer boards). But I would think it might be reasonable to think about a shield in the December/January time frame.

All you need is a common USB2 cable, the same as used in PCs between the motherboard and front panel. Well, also a 5 pin header.

Robin ordered a batch of these cables. We've got only about 20 now. So far it's looking like they're delayed until December. But eventually we'll have this as a regular product.

Of course, pretty much any motherboard-to-panel USB cable from a PC should work. They all use the same 5 pin header.
Ok, I wasn't sure if it needed additional connections to the board other than the 5 pins.

Last edited:

Ok, I wasn't sure if it needed additional connections to the board other than the 5 pins.
You only need 4 pins - there are 4-pin versions of those cables floating around. Most motherboard USB brackets use 9-pin connectors (2x 5, 1 pin blocked, 1 pin not connected) for 2 ports, those should also work.

(A good search term is "usb idc".)

Yours might be the first campaign I've been involved in that actually limits things.

Yeah, and it's looking like this Kickstarter might completely sell out. Robin and I reviewed our plans for the first batch and she increased the limits slightly. But that's it. We're *not* going to raise the reward limits any further. I'd much rather have people complaining now that it sold out and they couldn't get in than later if we can't ship. The last thing I want is to be over-committed beyond what we can deliver from the first batch. If it completely sells out and people can't get in, so be it.

I'll post an update on KS tomorrow. As usual, anyone watching here on the forum gets to find out early. ;)

Well, we are only $352 away from doubling the pledge amounts of the original Teensy 3.0 campaign. As I write this, we are at $141,396 in pledges, and the original Teensy 3.0 raised $70,874.

However, we are a ways to go before we double the number of original backers (currently we have 2,355 backers, and originally we had 1,572).

However, we are a ways to go before we double the number of original backers (currently we have 2,355 backers, and originally we had 1,572).

Last nights numbers were : 1756 T_3.5's and 3079 T_3.6's

I just added the T_3 numbers across all backers :: 2953 boards accounted for { with 1558 backers counted at all levels - same count anomaly persists ? }

So last count ( 104 backers not yet counted ) was 4835 total T_3.5 and T_3.6 units to backers.

8 days to get up to 5906 to double the number of T_3.0 boards shipped.

7 days to go - Just did 8/30 update with 2,388 backers showing (2374 added from pledge counts):
T_3.5==1779 + T_3.6==3231 Total New Teensy's is 5,010 [ of 6383 offered ]

78% sold of current posted unit counts (excluding 11,455 shipping that is in pledge total)

<edit>: 5269 combined unit count 12:30 AM 9/1/16 [now 76.5% sold with re-allocation]
2,501 backers and just over $150K total.

Last edited:
Well prior 7 days new backers average was 77, only 48 the last 24 hours. May not double backers to 3,144 - at 2,775 now.

ONLY 121 to go according to reward counts:: The total boards shipping looks like 5,785 boards queued up is nearing double the T_3.0 shipment of 2,953 ( double at 5906 ).

This project will be funded on Wed, Sep 7 2016 11:59 PM PDT.
Three full days to go :: 11:07 PM 9/4/2016 :: 2062 T_3.5's and 3723 T_3.6's

Looks like 78 new backers pushed the Teensy total to 5951, more than double the number of T_3.0's shipped!

With the final push will 282 new backers in 46 hours double the backer count?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back