Teensy 3.5/3.6 Breakout board to test things with.

@bboyes. Thanks for the info. Decided to go with the schottky diodes. Like you said a bit more but not too bad. The ones that @KurtE pointed to are about 18 cents ea for 100.

UPDATE: Ordered boards and parts. All should get here next week. Will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
Have a question. How the heck do you solder those diodes on the board? Can I get away with a soldering iron?

These are waaay easier than SSOP and others. Leads are far apart so bridging not likely. Easier than it looks.

reading that tiny laser etched text

think The Anode: is on the 6 size and the K is on the 0 side... A --60-- K

Correct... yeah that small text is often laser-etched and is sometimes easier to read with a low-angle of incidence light rather than perpendicular-to-the-surface light.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, was able to see markings with flashlight from side looking through lens

Yesterday I finished assembling the board, which in this picture it is plugged into an RPI3
T3.6-RPI-Hat-V3.jpg

Currently I have the two talking using Serial at 2mbs. Took me a bit to find the information on how to properly configure an RPI3 such that the hardware port was the one that worked better... Defaults to Bluetooth...

So far I have tested that the two talk, I can use my Servo test program and control a couple of servos, or tell the board to turn on the two leds, and find the state of the buttons.

Looks like the diodes are working. I can power the Teensy by USB and it does not start up the RPI3. Or I can plug in 12v (or lipo 3s) into connector and the Pololu 5amp 5v converter powers both boards... (So far looks like teeny works with this power supply).

When the board was running earlier I verified I could talk to the speaker using one of the talkie test apps. It also did some talking using TTS library, but SpeakSerial example did not talk... Not sure why did not see any difference... Will try more later.

Some of the stuff I may try on this board is different communication protocols. That is I might try I2C or SPI between the two.

@KurtE. Nice job. Couldn't solder those diodes on to save my life. Going to use through hole diodes instead. Wish the legs were just a little bit bigger or maybe I can find a different package. Anyway, here is a photo of my propshield test set up:

20170620_205449.jpg

The propshield shield is sitting on top of a T3.5 mega breakout board. In the final configuration going to use machine pins for the propshield to lower the profile. By the way I am using the same power board that you are using from pololu. Can you tell me what speaker you are using. So far tested the motion sensors and audio using the same libraries you used for your setup.

Thanks,

I socketed my Tt3.6. Could use slightly lower ones but was not much of an issue as due to height of Transistor plus the Pololu regulator. I wanted the Teensy to be high enough that I could plug something into SD if I decided I needed one.

your board looks nice!

I am using the speaker: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/pui-audio-inc/AST-01508MR-R/668-1132-ND/1464871
I am using the amp: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/LM4862MX-NOPB/LM4862MX-NOPBCT-ND/3526986
Thought of tyring to use same one as propshield, but it is tooooo smallllll for me to solder.

Mainly it was about the smallest one I found. If anyone has other suggestions, that would be great.

Diodes were not too bad to solder, I have a small tip on my old weller wsL soldering station.
Again some EE people are better for suggestions, but if I were doing through hole version, maybe: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/micro-commercial-co/SR203-TP/SR203-TPCT-ND/950551

Now back to playing...

Hey Kurt. Finally happy to report that after one stupid thing on my part with FastLED and some learning from Manitou on format for sound files I finished testing the prop shield shield. All works. Have to wait for the new boards and diodes to finish testing the power options but all looks good. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Wow. these look amazing.

My experience with PCB design is severely lacking, but I would love to give one of these a try.

I am building a complete CAN-based solution for a race vehicle (CAN modules in place of analog sensors). Right now, it's a Charlie Foxtrot of wiring and a horrible layout on paper. The intention is to use DAC on every sensor and send that information over CAN to a teensy to be ran through an ADC to get the proper information into the ECU for processing.

How does one begin down a road such as this? I have requirements, just no real knowledge in traces or EE per say. I have an Olimex debugger, and an Atmel ICE, so when JTAG debugging is made possible, I could be testing it immediately. I also have a hot air reflow station, so SMD isn't a problem for me.

Hopefully this isn't too dead...

I'm liking the T3.6 and want to use it for all the projects I have planned (at least until T4 blows it out of the water). The only trouble I'm having with it is there's not a lot of great "ProtoShield" type options available for it which makes anything past breadboard prototyping an issue for me. I just found the mint tin protoboard from Tindie and their larger 2x4" protoboard from reading this thread, so far the best candidates for my projects. The projects (datalogging/control for an automotive application) are not terribly sophisticated but do have lots of I/O circuitry. I plan to design and have made a custom, modular "mainboard with expansion slots" type of system when prototyping is done. For now, I'll probably end up stacking several of the largest protoboards I can find.

1) Is anyone aware of a large prototyping board/shield that would work with the T3.6, aside from the Tindie ones I mentioned?

2) Is anyone interested in developing such? I would be willing to participate in that process, including testing and splitting batch costs or whatever would be helpful.

I did not, thank you. Incorporating that into the final install may allow me to delete a port expander or two.

Again there are probably other better boards. But early on, I did a quick and dirty castellated board for the T3.5/6, which I think got me all of the pins. I did them into two rows on each side so it did not work well for for plugging into a breadboard...

T36_cast.jpg

T3.5-castellated-top.jpgT3.5-castellated-bottom.jpg

I only assembled one of them using a T3.5 and I think it worked. This was back in the beta cycle..

I believe the one matches the zip file up on my github project: https://github.com/KurtE/Teensy3.1-...nsy-TC36-Breakout/Gerber Chip/Gerber Chip.zip

Edit: The diptrace design files are up on the same github project up a directory

Again I ordered these up on OSHPark and could probably still mark it public... Although I again would guess there are better ones...

@boelle - no I have not. There are some design issues with it that need be fixed before I can do that, assuming you are talking about the propshield breakout board. The teensy breakout board needs some cleaning up and a wire connection to be made so you don't have to add a jumper. So that answer for both is no not yet.

Yes they do. Well, I will tell you what, I haven't touched the design for months. I would like to clean up the couple of wiring errors I have and fix up the parts list. After that I have to get a few made to make sure they work before I formally make it available. It may be awhile. I am talking about the teensy breakout board.

oki, i assume that is the board in post #40

i'm currently reworking the Ramps board for 3dprinters to work with it

Back