Teensy 3.3

Next Teensy is:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulstoffregen/teensy-35-and-36

And it is in no way attempting to be wireless.

Can't speak for Paul but suspect he is looking at the flocks of wireless arduinoish devices already extant (I have three different ones on my desk) and decided it's too crowded. Which isn't to say I wouldn't like to see what he could do with the concept, just the realities of the shallow margins in that space and the costly R&D needed to do it right.

Most Teensy users are more advanced than normal Arduino-and-other-plaform users and I think for them wireless programming isn't much more than a nice gimmick. At least it is for me.

However, OTA (where you can program your target from anywhere in the world as long as it is connected to the internet) can be a positive thing. If it were to work reliably. I played around with the Photon, which supports OTA, and I think it's horrible. Not only was the whole OTA thing unstable, products with OTA capabilities tend to limit you to their IDE or ecosystem which most of the times is equally horrible for advanced development.

I would pay for an application which allows me to upload my HEX files to my targets around the world through OTA however. So the OTA part would just be a really long virtual programming cable. That's the product I would like companies like Particle to develop, not waste their time building IDEs.

Current plan is to get Teensy 3.5 & 3.6 shipped, then focus on (desperately needed) website improvements and bringing real debug features to the Arduino IDE.

Along the way better support for modules like ESP8266 might happen, but I'm not going to even think about making a wireless hardware product until I've made quite a lot of progress on those other goals.

I've ordered a 5-pack of the new RTL8710.
Will take some weeks until they arrive..

Perhaps the better approach is to create different wlan-shields and a good library for the teensy ? The shields can be very simple.

I've ordered a 5-pack of the new RTL8710.
Will take some weeks until they arrive..

Perhaps the better approach is to create different wlan-shields and a good library for the teensy ? The shields can be very simple.

@Epyon: Yes it's a nice gimmick, not more.

Given the number of "internet of things" exploits happening every day, OTA update is the last thing I'd want. I have a gadget in mind which will use a separate main board (Teensy or similar) and wireless board (8266), so that if the wireless board gets cracked into, it still shouldn't be able to take over or reprogram the main board. That said, the new ESP32 is enormously powerful compared to the 8266, and hard to pass up for this type of board.

I just received my 3 3.6 teensies and 3 more 3.2 teensies, the only thing I am really missing is to be able to flash them OTA by using an ESP8266.

I have placed some teensies on a not so convenient place and already a couple of times I 'ruined' my breadboard setup or light installation because I grab my laptop and forget about the USB cable.

It is so convenient to be able to flash microcrontrollers from the couch! Hopefully one day it will be possible, a man can dream :)

Has anyone tried this with a Teensy?
https://github.com/jeelabs/esp-link

According to the Git Hub documentation:
The simplest use of esp-link is as a transparent serial to wifi bridge. You can flash an attached uC over wifi and you can watch the uC's serial debug output by connecting to port 23 or looking at the uC Console web page.

I don't see how this can work with the teensy. At a first glance, i don't see any code that accesses the Teensy-flash. It requires code on the Teensy, too, the std-bootloader works only over USB.

I use this, it is a bit bloated but works great to communicate with a Teensy or Arduino and pretty easy to setup.

jpoppe,

Are you able to flash a program to the Teensy over wifi with it?
As Frank B mentions the standard Teensy bootloader works over USB and not serial.
If there was a way to do this it would be a huge benefit to many.

Ask Paul to do it :)
The bootloader writes a program to the RAM - i see no reason why this short program should use USB only. It could listen on Serial1, too.
That would be the perfect solution !

Ask Paul to do it :)
It could listen on Serial1, too.
That would be the perfect solution !

I've considered doing this a few times. It's always been pushed out by other higher priority stuff, like getting the new boards done. Realistically, I'm not going to take on anything major like this until USB host & ethernet are working well on the new boards.

Now, that WLAN is so cheap (ESP8266 or RTL8710), it might be worth to increase the priority a little bit .. :) But of course, the new boards are more important.

jpoppe,

Are you able to flash a program to the Teensy over wifi with it?
As Frank B mentions the standard Teensy bootloader works over USB and not serial.
If there was a way to do this it would be a huge benefit to many.

Nope, that's the whole reason I replied in this thread ;)

I've considered doing this a few times. It's always been pushed out by other higher priority stuff, like getting the new boards done. Realistically, I'm not going to take on anything major like this until USB host & ethernet are working well on the new boards.

Thanks Paul, I'll wait patiently, looks indeed like you are busy enough!

Back