Ethernet adapter recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimitre

I'm making an Teensy based controller for APA102, to send data throught OSC via Ethernet.
Proof of concept is already working, it hangs after one minute, but I think the ENC28J60 is to blame. I've read yesterday about heat issues.
I'm looking for a better ethernet adapter to do that, and which ones do you recommend me?

Do you think this one is usable with Teensy?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAN8720-M...590528?hash=item2a645f40c0:g:aqQAAOSwzvlW-6UU

Thank you!

controller.jpg

We can't really help without you posting the code and the library you use.

My typical test setup is an Wiz820io as pictured. For production units I sometimes switch to a cheaper Wiz550io.

IMAG3822.jpg

The LAN8720 is not a full controller, it's just a PHY. It may work with the Teensy 3.6, which has an Ethernet MAC integrated. For the 3.1/3.2 you need a full controller.

I have a HanRun module similar to the one in the photo and I haven't had any heating problems with it. I haven't used it for long periods of time but so far haven't had any problems that I couldn't ultimately blame on loose wires.
So, we need to see your code and a circuit diagram.

Pete

Just a note: I had beta access to the pending and p#4 linked PJRC Ethernet adapter for the Teensy 3.6. I ran it responding to PINGS for days with no apparent heat issues and no lack of timely response or hangs. The test code wasn't good for much more than pings - at least not in my hands - but I did that while doing some other serial I/O busy work - etc - with no failings. The base code was picking up and logging some numerous whois type broadcasts on my local network. And with ambient °F temps at 70-75 leaving the unit running about 100 at the hottest spot when piggybacked to the T_3.6 unit with the same temp range - running OC'd to 240 MHz.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll post a follow up.
Isolating code pieces I've found FastLED + USB are not a good combination at the moment.
There is some SPI issue and other people are experiencing it too.
I've post there a minimal test case
https://github.com/FastLED/FastLED/issues/339

Strangely enough it runs stable with external power source, and chip doesn't heat up even with lots of data transfer (video frames per second).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back