1-wire LED driver / dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

I have been using Domoticz to control the lighting in my home for a couple of years, and have found it to be a reliable and flexible tool. Now it looks like I might be moving to a house boat and I'm curious about the possibility of continuing to use Domoticz in a 12VDC system. Since the Z-Wave equipment I'm currently using is more intended for 240VAC use, and the application of a wireless protocol is quite unnecessary in a boat, where distances are short and additional wiring is easy and safe to install, I would like to switch to a wire based protocol, and 1-wire seems to be the best option for this (X10 has too many short-comings). I have seen many examples of people using 1-wire temperature and humidity sensors with Domoticz (via OWFS), but I struggle to locate any designs for controlling LED lights and other 12V loads. What I would like to see is a small, simple circuit that provides a PWM dimmed output controllable over 1-wire (0-255) with an input for a pushbutton to allow local control of the light, similar to how the Qubino Z-Wave dimmers I currently use function. Ideally, the previously set level should be remembered, so that a short button press would toggle the light on/off at the previous level, and a long press changes the dimming level. I am assuming that a small Atmel MCU (ATTiny) would be quite suitable for this task, but would like to hear what others think - maybe there is already a finished design for something like this?

Many thanks,

Lomax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back