Playing around with RPIish HAT using Teensy 3.5 or 3.6...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned, Thought it was time to start assembling the main board of this thread.

I probably should have done this more in stages, as to not waste too many parts if some basic things were not working, but... ;)

I did assemble most/all of the surface mount parts, first, and got enough on it, such that I could plug in 12v, to make sure nothing was smoking, before I installed the Teensy. Here is a picture at that point:
TAP36-Top-Partial.jpg

Nothing was smoking or warm, also had +5v at the appropriate pins I checked, so I continued to assemble the board, and added the Teensy and then verified that I could upload Blink... so still looking promising, so I continued to assemble the rest of the board (more or less).

TAP36-Top.jpg
TAP36-Bottom.jpg

Now there are lots of stuff I need to start testing. I have a test program for the earlier T3.2 based board similar to this, which I will need to adapt and see what works and what does not...

Thanks,

Started doing some testing. Looks like the Neopixel is working.

Also looks like at least some of the AX Servo stuff is working. I have not done full testing yet, but did verify I could talk to at least one servo.

Got feedback up on Trossen, that if I build another version I should probably still beef up the power and ground for the servos. My guess will be sufficient for this round where I am only using AX12 servos.

So far I don't think the sound is working :( I am trying to use an LM4862 hooked up to DAC0, but I probably did something wrong and in this case under the Teensy, so ...

Now on to more testing.

Hi Kurt,

did you use the LoRa devices so far ? Do you know which pins of them are needed ?
I'm planning a new board...

Not sure if anyone is interested and slightly off my own topic as for T3.2, but:

I am trying to get myself back into playing more with RPI/Odroid/Up boards and with my PhantomX hexapod robot. Thought that if PhantomX V4 is coming out with an RPI3 I should get a jump on it...

So I played around some more with Diptrace and I am building a newer version of my T3.2 RPI HAT.

I was curious if I could make a smaller version of the hat that did not extend over top of USB/Ethernet connectors, so I tried reducing some stuff, plus rethink a few things.

Here are the 3d images out of diptrace:
T3.2---RPI-Shield-V2---Top.jpg T3.2---RPI-Shield-V2---bot.jpg
I think I still have enough stuff on it to make it fun.

Still have larger VR actually DC/DC Converter on it to hopefully be able to power RPI plus...
Have 6 AX servo connectors which power can be switched on/off and 1 that is always on.
Sound - Uses DAC plus small AMP and speaker
2 buttons, 1 LED, 1 Neopixel which can extend to others
Setup to be able to jumper from UART on RPI to Serial2 on Teensy
Some other RPI bins are brought out as well. Including I2C with optional PU resistors.

I dropped having the BNO055 IMU from previous version as probably can not fit. Instead I will experiment with one of the
https://www.tindie.com/products/oneh...dd-on-shields/
2016-07-07T21:49:59.513Z-MPU9250Micro.back.jpg.2560x2560_q85.jpg

Which can solder onto the Surface mount pins on the bottom of the Teensy Which should be fun to see how well that works.

I know I probably screwed up a few things, but went ahead and ordered a set of 3 (.8mm 2oz) from OSHPark.
Hopefully this time around I will actually assemble one. I do have one of the IMUs coming.

Looks cool.
I've mounted two of those onehorse IMU's T_3.1 and the newer T_3.6 version. Also got a couple of the NANO versions with 9250 only. Sample code suggests they work - but I'm only nearing actually doing anything with them. Per the silkscreen they really only need +/-, SDA, SCL, and the INT. The ADO is either + or - to set i2c address. So with they can be wired remotely.
No display? I recently got a couple of the SMALL $9 0.95" SSD1331 OLED's that seem nice - SPI and size of mono SSD1306 - but color and 96x64 pixels. Used the Sumotoy code that is fast - not tried on Teensy yet.

I was going to also pickup the T3.6 version one as well, but none in stock. Will be fun to play

I thought I would mention, that I received my T3.2 Hat boards back from OSHPark...

I mostly assembled one of them yesterday.
T3.2---RPI-Shield-V2-a-phot.jpgT3.2---RPI-Shield-V2-a-phot.jpg

Sorry about the poor photo... It is not the cameras fault :eek:

I have it setup to be able to connect up one of the Pesky products ultimate IMU boards which I have, but before then want to do some more testing.

I have just started to do some testing, plus starting to change my Arbotix Pro emulation program to the new configuration. Should be fun.

So far I have not tried it connected up to the RPI expansion connector as I want to verify things like the Pololu 5amp DC/DC converter is working properly, plug no shorts.
But did have the two talking using USB... Next up test out that the servo connections are working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back