Using teensy 3.2 in standalone application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I use teensy3.2 in standalone application. I am thinking to program new MK20DX256VLH7(main IC) through MKL02Z32VFG4(bootloader IC) and then removing the main IC. And then placing the IC in different PCB with associated circuitry for doing predefined task. So, I will be using teensy3.2 as programmer to burn new IC (main).

Is this possible.

Thanks!:D

I'm not really a hardware guy, so there might be different opinions on that. Personally, I would just solder a new K20 chip on the custom board and use JTAG to flash it. Much easier, you don't wreck your Teensy (i.e. can use it for more prototyping work), and you get JTAG for all the not-so-nice issues which are difficult to track down, especially on a new board design. I also remember that other Freescale/NXP SoCs have a bootup streaming interface (I think that is used on the Teensy in a way?), which you can use directly yourself as well. There are probably a few more options.

The solution others have used for the 'moving from Teensy prototype to production' is assorted flavours of:
Build prototype
Build protoype as single PCB with mounting of a Teensy Board
Build production run of custom PCB with Teensy boards fitted (seems to work up to runs of several hundred)
Once the sales justify the man hours mod the PCB to have it's own Teensy+MKL0 as a single board
Once confirming that works as expected, delete the MKL0 and supporting hardware and mount them on a programing unit that gets plugged into each unit as it goes out the door to bootload it
Once that gets too labor intensive then you transition to pre programed ICs and/or production machinery that's JTAG capable.

Apologies if this is stuff that you are familiar with, and yes as noted above if this is a serious project in 5k and up units the plan should be to go straight to JTAG and pro tools to load and debug with.

Main thing is that as soon as you let a product without a MKL0 out the door you have the potential for any firmware updates you ship to brick the unit in a way that requires additional shipped hardware to recover. If firmware is solid and not going to be updated this is fine, but for the early versions having the option of using a standard USB cable and standard PC to get a fix out to teensys in bricked condition can save a lot of pain.

I've once made a custom Teensy with a MINI54 'programming stick'. So yes, it's possible, but only relevant when you're thinking high volumes. If you only make tens to maybe hundred products of one design and have a reasonable margin, it's better to stick with the default Teensy and spend your time increasing your sales.

I think this is the trap most engineers-wanting-to-sell-stuff fall into: spending too much time making their initial designs and wanting to shave of every cent possible, while time-to-market and customer relations are way more important in a start-up phase.

I have burned blinking LED program into teensy 3.2. Then I removed micro-controller from teensy3.2 and put that in a separate PCB custom PCB with the required circuitry. But LED is not blinking in the new environment. Do we need some more circuitry as to turn on the micro-controller.

Any help will be useful. PJRC1.pngPJRC2.pngPJRC3.jpg

I ... don't even know where to begin :confused: .

If you want to build a custom Teensy, at least start by implementing the reference schematic. You need a lot more than just 7 pins and three components. There is a lot of useful information in this post, including how to avoid common pitfalls and a reference design in Eagle.

I have burned blinking LED program into teensy 3.2. Then I removed micro-controller from teensy3.2 and put that in a separate PCB custom PCB with the required circuitry. But LED is not blinking in the new environment. Do we need some more circuitry as to turn on the micro-controller.
I don't know if your components are enough, but you need to connect the LED to package pin 50 (which is Teensy pin 13).

Hi, Paul kindly let me know if I burn the teensy 3.2 with bootloader and remove the bootloader will the controller perform or not?

The bootloader IC is not required for normal operation, only when programing.

This means all programing, since no part of the bootloader code remains in the main CPU so you can't reprogram it unless you have written your own update code and got it pre loaded.

Thanks, GremlinWrangler.
I have to code it for once only till there is a new update.

So if I remove the bootloader after burning there won't be any resetting of controller because of some watchdog or any other issue?.
Also, I'm using the same schematic as per Paul which is present in pjrc website of teensy3.2.

The bootloader IC is only activated when Teensyduino sends a 'programming signal' to the Teensy. For the rest of the time it is dormant, like it is not there in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back