Microscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

gapdev

What is the Model # of the Microscope shown in the pictures of Erin and Paul from the last 9/11/16 kickstarter update we received today and would you recommend it?

I need to solder a bunch of .008in traces and connectors and my Optoscope magnifier isn't going to cut it.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a Microscope for hand soldering?

Thanks,

Kenny

I don't know about the model The Goddess uses, but I can recommend using a binocular microscope (that gives you a stereoscopic impression of depth) with either fix magnification of about 7x or zoomable magnification in that range (about 2x to >7x is perfect).

If you want top quality and ergonomic design have a look at "mantis scopes" http://www.visioneng.us/

Ben

Erin's came from amscope.com. They messed up the order, missing one of the eye pieces. Dealing with them to get the right part was terrible, so I would not recommend buying from them.

Mine is over 10 years old. I believe it came from jensentools.com, but it was so long ago that I'm really not sure. Don't make the same mistake I did with the stand. The single horizontal pole allows the microscope to tip horizontally, no matter how well you adjust and tighten it.

Amscope has so many models it is virtually impossible to choose the right one for soldering. I'll look into mantis and jensentools.

Thank you,

Kenny

Sorry to maybe be a slightly off topic here, but wondering if there are recommendations for a reasonably priced setup for hobbyist. Currently I am using a magnifier light, that looks very similar to the one: http://www.houzz.com/photos/4022099...0A-5D-BK-1-Light-Table-Lamp-Black-table-lamps

It is also about 10 years old. Works OK to see things like 0805s, but wondering if there is something better when I try soldering something smaller.... Sometime I try using another magnifier with it... But then again maybe the problem is more my older uncoordinated hands.

Thanks, sounds like a cheap addition to try out. I ended up ordering it from Amazon and double the price as it looks like Avon requires a $25 minimum order...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back