USB MIDI Foot Controller Completed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHIFT838

All,

For the past few days I have been working on creating a MIDI Foot Controller to pass MIDI CC messages and MIDI Notes to my recording software I use for my guitar.

I successfully built a prototype on a bread board with a Teensy 3.2 board, 1 SPST Momentary switch, 1 SPST toggle switch and an LED.

So I started down the path to make a full size for actual use.

I have created a 8 switch MIDI Foot Controller that will pass both MIDI CC and MIDI note messages based on if the toggle is on or off. Also with the toggle on or off it will light up one of the diffferent
colored LEDs I have installed. I have even put in a USB B panel mount connector.

Take a look at the pics. I have lots more put only wanted to post a few to show it off.

Proof1.jpgPCB-Final.jpgWiredUp1.jpgUSB-B Port.jpgWP_20160918_16_36_46_Rich.jpg

my work was tossing some server rack space covers. this is a 4u rack space covert. there was no bottom, so I made one (not shown in the pictures) out of some 3/16 thick peg board. I had to epoxy some small 1/2 angle aluminum to make a frame to put the peg board on so I could make some riser legs.

I thought it turned out fairly good for a first try.

I have found out over the last few days that Google Chrome does no play well with the Teensy Micro Controller when it is configured as a USB MIDI device.

I started noticing that when I had Chrome opened and I launched Reaper I would get a message stating Reaper could not open my Teensy MIDI as it was already in use.

After some digging killing processes in Windows Task Manager and opening reaper after killing each process I found it to be Chrome. I was able to reproduce it at will.

So I posted here and was informed that Google implement some type of MIDI support in their browser a while back. I asked Google about it. Well the Cheesy answer I got from google was : "Yes, we implemented MIDI support within our code to support MIDI Playback on MIDI devices for various types of MIDI files. And we know that Google Chrome does interface well with MIDI devices for musicians."

I then asked them "Why do they not advertise this". I was then told :"If we did that then more people would not use our browser"

So instead of telling everyone the issue that Google has created, they would rather keep it to themselves and have users like ourselves run around and rack our brains thinking it's our code and our issue when in reality it's now.

Well now, Google Chrome has been uninstalled. Internet Explorer 11 and Edge browser(I don't like edge!) causes no issues. I still need to test Firefox. But Google Chrome is officially out the door for me!

Thats strange? I run chrome with teensy midi devices connected all the time?

it seems to act up when I have multiple browsers windows(tabs) open and after Chrome has been running a while. not exactly sure if it is because some of the sites I have been going to that I can access midi files or what. But the fix seems to be to close all instances of chrome.

I don't think it's a code issue, but you are welcome to take a look at it if you like to make sure. I'm new to the Teensy, so I don't want to rule that out.

The spec allows for reconnect without confirm from user. Maybe a site you've been to asked for connection and keeps remaking it... or just makes it without asking.

not experienced this at all.......i run chrome alongside teensy and ableton / cubase a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back