Teensy 3.5 help - where to look?

I am probably premature on this.
1. I went to www.pjrc.com/help, but found no info on 3.5/6
2. Plugged board into computer and have orange LED blinking at 1 Hz.
3. Using Arduino 1.6.12 and "boards manager", I found nothing on any teensy board.
4. May I humbly suggest a separate topic for 3.5 & 3.6 on the forum?
5. Where do I start?

With all Teensy boards you need to install Teensyduino...

The instructions are up at: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

However for 1.6.12, There is a beta release, which you can find up at: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/37204-Teensyduino-1-31-Beta-1-Available

Once you install it, The Board Manager should show a list of Teensy boards with the 3.5 being one of them.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Edit: Should mention there is lots of data and stuff in the beta threads: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/34808-K66-Beta-Test
As well as in: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/36567-K64-Beta-Test-Teensy-3-5?highlight=K64

Last edited:
I haven't received my boards yet but Paul's shipped email had all kinds of instructions in it.

Thanks for the very rapid response, Kurt!
However, no joy :(

Downloaded hourly build but still no teensy in board manager.

Tried to install Teensyduino 3.1 installer and could not get past "select arduino folder" (should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino ??)

Also noticed the 3.1 installer showed that Arduino IDE ver 1.6.12 is not supported as shown here ( I hope):
teensy.JPG

So...
1. Do I have to drop back to Arduino IDE 1.6.11 to install Teensyduino 3.1?
2. Where exactly do I install Teensyduino if and when I get the "proprer" IDE version?

N.B. It would be most helpful for noobs like me to have a getting started guide. Info is very fragmented.

Hourly builds are not supported, you should install a normal release, if you wish to install 1.6.11 go to arduino.cc page click on download, on that page is link to previous release

Step 1: install Arduino 1.6.12 from https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
Step 2: install Teensyduino 1.31 beta from https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/37204-Teensyduino-1-31-Beta-1-Available

I did this yesterday, and can report that it works (in my case, using Windows 10).
Don't expect any "Arduino" release to support Teensy out of the box. Paul's "Teensyduino" is a set of patches that work on the standard Arduino releases and modify the files to enable Teensy support.

Thanks, jBeale. It worked...but only once! I must have been using 3.10 instead of 3.11.
So... using Win7, Arduino IDE 1.6.12, Teensyduino 3.11 beta, following instructions, I got the example blink to work one, and only one, time. After that, I got this:

teensy3.JPG

The red error message says:
Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to automatically reboot.
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.

and I also noted this as board I.D (if it means anything)

teensy1.JPG

I tried various button pushing to no avail.
So I am back to solid orange LED now.

Any and all help appreciated.

Well, something went really wrong here. Obviously it's supposed to keep blinking, not just stop.

The numbers 16C0 and 0483 are correct for Teensy when running your program, so at least that's a good sign.

The first step from here is to open the Help > Verbose Info window from Teensy Loader. Then press the white pushbutton on your Teensy. What text appears in the Verbose Info window?

Well, something went really wrong here. Obviously it's supposed to keep blinking, not just stop.

The numbers 16C0 and 0483 are correct for Teensy when running your program, so at least that's a good sign.

The first step from here is to open the Help > Verbose Info window from Teensy Loader. Then press the white pushbutton on your Teensy. What text appears in the Verbose Info window?

Thanks Paul, here are last few lines of verbose info:

(much more above this...If you need more, I can send the whole thing)
10:11:44: flash, block=4, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=5, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=6, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: HID/win32: waiting for device
10:11:44: flash, block=7, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=8, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=9, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=10, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=11, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=12, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=13, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=14, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=15, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=16, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=17, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=18, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: flash, block=19, bs=1024, auto=1
10:11:44: sending reboot
10:11:44: begin wait_until_offline
10:11:44: offline, waited 4
10:11:44: end operation
10:11:44: set background IMG_REBOOT_OK
10:11:44: redraw timer set, image 14 to show for 1200 ms
10:11:44: HID/win32: vid:05AC pid:0245 ver:0108
10:11:44: HID/win32: vid:05AC pid:0245 ver:0108
10:11:44: HID/win32: vid:05AC pid:8242 ver:0016
10:11:46: redraw, image 9

Here is what happened today:

Cold boot into bootcamp, Win 7HP on a Mac, plugged in Teensy 3.5, no IDE or Teensy loader yet, LED on board blinks on for one sec, off for one sec.

Next I opened Arduino IDE 1.6.12. Tried to upload a modified, faster blink sketch, got Teensy loader, did verbose info, got same red error msg: Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to automatically reboot. Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch. LED still bllinking one sec on, one sec off.

Next tried pressing (not holding) reset button, then upload new sketch, Teensy loader said "boot OK", got same error msg. as above, still blinking one sec. on, one sec. off.

Bottom line: cannot load a new sketch. Hardware seems healthy.

N.B. I have used Arduino IDE for four years on this machine with no operator induced problems, but I have had some weirdness running some ham radio programs. I will try all of the above on a fresh install on a "pure" win 7 machine and see what happens.

Thanks again and hope you can help solve this.

P.S. I looked for the Teensy loader verbose log file, which I suspect is purposely well hidden.
Is there a way to erase or archive it and start a new log so that I log only the current session?

Last edited:
P.S. I looked for the Teensy loader verbose log file, which I suspect is purposely well hidden.
Is there a way to erase or archive it and start a new log so that I log only the current session?

On Verbose here is a menu item 'Log' - when I click that there is a Clear option?

Use cut and paste to archive?

Next tried pressing (not holding) reset button, then upload new sketch, Teensy loader said "boot OK", got same error msg. as above, still blinking one sec. on, one sec. off.

Bottom line: cannot load a new sketch. Hardware seems healthy.

Everything you've described sounds like you can indeed load a new sketch, just not automatically.

When you press the button on your Teensy, the Teensy Loader is quickly erasing your Teensy, loading the skectch you most recently compiled, and rebooting. It all happens very quickly. Teensy loads new code much faster than the Arduino board you're used to.

Before you go further, perhaps spend a some time experimenting with loading different speed LED blinking sketches, so you can observe whether it's running a new sketch, or just another copy of what you previously loaded.

Obviously something isn't quite right, because you're getting that error. But please understand that error only means it was unable to start the upload automatically. It does not necessarily mean the upload doesn't work at all, just that it can't initiate it for you.

Every Teensy has that Program button because there are lots of ways USB can get messed up, which prevent Arduino from talking to your Teensy to ask it to go into programming mode. If you search this forum, you'll find many conversations about different problems, which all result in that message. The quick, easy, less-than-ideal solution is to just press the button.

In this case, my guess is you may have some other software running on your computer which tries to access the COM port which appears when Teensy runs your sketch. Virtual machines often cause a lot of problems too.

Got Teensy working on older machine, but still not on original (Mac bootcamp) machine.
No other com ports in use. Device Mgr. shows only Teensy USB Serial.
Will try reload of Teensy Loader+serial driver.
Life intervening...standby for more (good?) news...

Good & bad news:
Good news: now working on two machines
Bad news: could not get to work on Mac Bootcamp. Have had problems with bootcamp before.

If anyone has successfully run on bootcamp, please get it touch.

Thanks to all for all the help.

May this thread rest in peace...

Last edited:
Sorry, why are you using BootCamp? Why don't you just use Mac OSX versions of Arduino and TeensyDuino?

Many years ago, before getting a Mac, I started with Basic Stamp2, Arduino, etc. on Windows.
I just never got around to doing these things on my Mac.
I have also had problems running amateur radio software on bootcamp.

Back