TCP/IP Modem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHIFT838

So I am a avid supporter of various older 8 bit type of computers like Atari and Texas Instruments.

There has been a boom lately of our users wanting to logon to old retro type style BBS' over the internet. Currently the only really wide supported product to do this with is the Lantronix UDS 10/100/1000 devices, which connect to a serial port like an old modem and takes modem commands, but instead of dialing out via phoneline it makes a TCPIP connection (telnet) to the host machine.

I am curious if there is a way maybe with a Teensy to be able to accomplish this same thing with Hayes compatible commands. Of course there would have to be a serial port on one side of the Teensy and a Ethernet or even wireless adapter on the other side.

Would this even be possible? if so can anyone point me to where I need to be looking as I have not found anything on the internet about this.

Thanks,

Some of us are bringing back our old GAP BBS's from the 80's and 90's. Theres a lot of Syncronet BBS's as well.

The way this is done over the Internet on a Computer is by using NetFoss
http://pcmicro.com/netfoss/

To see one in action use a Telnet Client (I use ZOC on the Mac)

Telnet on port 23, using ANSI BBS Emulation, to valhalla.synchro.net

I'm wondering if there is some sort of Library to use on Teensy/Arduino/ESP8266?

Kenny

Some of us are bringing back our old GAP BBS's from the 80's and 90's. Theres a lot of Syncronet BBS's as well.

The way this is done over the Internet on a Computer is by using NetFoss
http://pcmicro.com/netfoss/

To see one in action use a Telnet Client (I use ZOC on the Mac)

Telnet on port 23, using ANSI BBS Emulation, to valhalla.synchro.net

I'm wondering if there is some sort of Library to use on Teensy/Arduino/ESP8266?

Kenny

I know all about Syncronet and Mystic and both are very good programs. But what I am after is for the actual users like myself that still have the real hardware of the old systems and want to use a real piece of hardware.

There are quite a few of us that enjoy using the real hardware, not emulation and not running a newer program that does what the older programs did on new hardware.

So what I would like basically is a piece of hardware that takes the standard AT commands but ports them to the TCP/IP stack to make a telnet connection and just send and receive data. The older 8 bit computer system will interpret the data coming in from the device just like a modem.

if you really want to see an original system in action using ANSI you can call mine (not a PC but a Myarc Geneve 9640)

telnet to: fusionbbs.ddns.net
port # 9640

Supports 40/80 column text mode and 80 column ANSI graphics.

if you really want to see an original system in action using ANSI you can call mine (not a PC but a Myarc Geneve 9640)

telnet to: fusionbbs.ddns.net
port # 9640

Supports 40/80 column text mode and 80 column ANSI graphics.

Wahh.. great :)
The good , old times :)

The Teensy could run such a BBS easyly!

Do you know if there is any BBS in Basic that runs on a C64 ?
I have a project..a C64-Emulation .. it's on hold because the new Teensys distracted me.. :) But BASIC works, and it works good.. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxzgse5cpN8

Back to your original posting.. doesn't do the ESP8266 what you want ? It's a WLAN-Board and you can use AT-Commands

Back to your original posting.. doesn't do the ESP8266 what you want ? It's a WLAN-Board and you can use AT-Commands

I looked at that module a few days back and noticed it does have some type of AT commands, but it does not appear to be standard MODEM commands which is what I was looking for. So I am not sure it will work or not.

I will have to research the module more to figure out, then of course I have to figure out how to interface it with a Teensy Micro Controller.

One of the specifications I read was that it can do Telnet but it states 'Text Only' so that makes me wondering if it will accept binary coming in if someone tries to execute a file transfer on their terminal program for a BBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back