I seem to have bricked my pre-production Teensy 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhylands

I've been working with my pre-production Teensy 3.6 for a while, and today I seem to have bricked it.

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

I had left the Arduino flashing program running and was also flashing using teensy_loader_cli and it seems to have left my teensy 3.6 in an unusable state.

When using the arduino flasher a a simple blink program, I now get:
Code:
Sketch uses 23,940 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1,048,576 bytes.
Global variables use 5,080 bytes (1%) of dynamic memory, leaving 257,064 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 262,144 bytes.
/home/dhylands/arduino-1.6.11-teensyduino/hardware/teensy/../tools/teensy_post_compile -test -file=heartbeat.ino -path=/tmp/build174742e1f7ac1c4d829290c71be7705c.tmp -tools=/home/dhylands/arduino-1.6.11-teensyduino/hardware/teensy/../tools -board=TEENSY36 -reboot 
Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to automatically reboot.
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.
Pressing the button on the Teensy 3.6 doesn't do anything.

Using teensy_loader_cli, I see the following:
Code:
teensy_loader_cli -v -mmcu=mk66fx1m0 -w -s build-TEENSY_3.6/micropython.hex
Teensy Loader, Command Line, Version 2.0
Read "build-TEENSY_3.6/micropython.hex": 217304 bytes, 20.7% usage
Error opening USB device: No error
Waiting for Teensy device...
 (hint: press the reset button)
And when I plug the board in, no device shows up under lsusb any more.

When I press the Reset button on the failing device, I see the following dmesg output:
Code:
[802364.230485] usb 1-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 87 using ehci-pci
[802364.302405] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[802364.478488] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[802364.654448] usb 1-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 88 using ehci-pci
[802364.726472] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -32
[802364.902362] usb 1-1.2: device descriptor read/64, error -32
Is there anything else I can do to try and recover this device?

Try holding the button for exactly 15 seconds. That's supposed to completely wipe the chip. But it was added fairly late, so if your board never got updated, that won't work.

If that doesn't recover, please email me directly and we'll swap it for a regular production board.

Try holding the button for exactly 15 seconds. That's supposed to completely wipe the chip. But it was added fairly late, so if your board never got updated, that won't work.

If that doesn't recover, please email me directly and we'll swap it for a regular production board.

The 15 second wipe seems to work on my production 3.6, but unfortunately not on my pre-production board. I sent an email to paul at pjrc dot com but never got a repsonse. Which email address should I use? Mine is dhylands at gmail dot com.

It may be too late, but did you run the flash upgrade on the pre-production board?
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/34808-K66-Beta-Test?p=115374&viewfull=1#post115374

I didn't. It looked like it had something to do with EEPROM and/or RTC, neither of which I'm using right now.

I'm also not using Arduino (unless I have to). So far, the only arduino projects I've run is the blinky one. I've been working on supporting MicroPython on the new boards (which seems to be working), so I'm using the launchpad toolchain and teensy_loader_cli to do my flashing.

Bummer - If you didn't update the Teensy Firmware - the 15 second RESTORE is not part of the initial Beta firmware - so that safety net isn't there for you.

Have you tried Holding the Button when unplugged - then plugging into USB - Pause a couple secs - release button - try to program?

Bummer - If you didn't update the Teensy Firmware - the 15 second RESTORE is not part of the initial Beta firmware - so that safety net isn't there for you.

Have you tried Holding the Button when unplugged - then plugging into USB - Pause a couple secs - release button - try to program?

That doesn't seem to change anything. I even installed Teensyduino on a Windows 7 laptop, and the pre-production device shows up as "Unrecognized USB device", and the production one works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back